PDA

View Full Version : Sprinter for NYPD

jzf0fk
10-02-2011, 04:23 AM
Just saw this on 60 minutes. The Sprinters are used by NYPD to move troops in full gear with machine guns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf_PzCfpPug

1:23 - 1:27, 1:39, 3:00 - 3:03 have the external view
12:51 has the internal view.

Is this the first time that the Sprinters are used by the police within US? I know Sprinters are used by other police dept in other countries

BBlessing
10-02-2011, 04:51 AM
too funny! the wife and i just watched that episode last night. cool looking black ones! did you notice the red and white lights?

bb

hayduke
10-02-2011, 11:36 AM
wait till CAIR sees this

larry8061
10-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Wait until they go into LHM!

Larry

maxextz
10-02-2011, 02:26 PM

Larry

:lol:

hayduke
10-03-2011, 11:44 AM

Larry

Hilarious!

but probably not a limitation in the city

larry8061
10-03-2011, 03:16 PM
THAT was funny!:lol:

So: Does the NYPD KNOW about LHM? If they do, did they agree to it? Or, did MB not install a LHM ECU on the police version?

The other question that crossed my mind is: how many E500 drivers are putting up with LHM?

Hmmmmmmm:idunno:

Larry

OrioN
10-03-2011, 03:23 PM
THAT was funny!:lol:

So: Does the NYPD KNOW about LHM? If they do, did they agree to it? Or, did MB not install a LHM ECU on the police version?

The other question that crossed my mind is: how many E500 drivers are putting up with LHM?

Hmmmmmmm:idunno:

Larry

<Yawn>

larry8061
10-04-2011, 03:06 AM
I am sure this is a yawn for you! A: You were probably up past your bedtime and B: there is a premise here that you can't grasp.

With enough information things can become easier or, at the very least, understandable. Beyond that a wider and greater group can be served with less hassle and less fuss, of course the more sophmorish don't care or worry about such matters.

I ask the questions that I do for a reason....... the answers actually exist somewhere, if the right people communicated with another set of right people. For instance is LHM for a burnt out tail light simply bad code or does MB have some reason for that? If it is just bad code then anything and everything can be some happenstance occurenace and anything and everything on the vehicle can and should be circumspect. If on the other hand it isn't bad code and MB actually does want the van in LHM for a burnt out bulb then why?

Back to the E500....... if MB wants LHM for a burnt out bulb because that is their coporate philosophy to keep everyone safe so be it.....Now if any van is in LHM (or won't do anything past 45 for those new enough to not have experienced that for themsevles) then the first thing to look at would be ANYTHING that could be sending a signal to the ECU that would give the ECU reason to believe the vehicle or the occupants aren't safe.....This is not a random act of God........ there would be a reason for it.

Since I haven't had any experience with another Mercedes since my parents 76 300D (which was one hell of a car) nor will I have any future experience with an MB product, I don't know what the E500 is programmed for. However, I would bet $20.00 that crowd is not going into LHM for burnt out tail lights....... I don't think they would tolerate that at all.

So if the Vans are the only ones going into LHM for tail light problems - WHY? What is driving the logic at MB to do this? Is it in one of their contracts with FedEx, UPS, the Feds? With
THAT knowledge one could also make some deductions on where to start looking for some of these less than transparent problems.

Then to the New York Vans. Does the city of New York know they own a van that potentially can (and at some point will) go into LHM if they have a "stock" ECU? I mean it could develop that on the way to the crime scene the tailight gets shot out and they are now in LHM mode. Not so good. I can't imagine that anyone on here knows what that ECU has been programmed for but, I would bet another $20.00 that they don't have LHM as an option on those vans. And again I ask WHY? MB needs to keep us safe but, they don't need to keep the fine officers of the City of New york safe?

If that is also true than a compromise has been made. IF that compromise has indeed been made, what other compromises have been made? And understanding those compromises will yet again make diagnosing these random acts of broken down Sprinters easier to figure out.

Also if this list were to SYSTEMATICALLY ask and answer questions based on folks expreiences and personal databases then a real WEALTH of knowledge could be not only available to the regular users of this list but, virtually any Sprinter owner in the world.

If it could be documented, my guess would be that even without Andy there is more Sprinter expertise on this list than there is in certified Sprinter mechanics and I would further hazard a guess it isn't close. So if the REAL expertise is on THIS list, and the information were systematically organized then a lot of "normal" folk could rest a bit easier owning and driving a Sprinter AND not waste their hard earned money allowing a certified nonknowledgeable mehcanic hunt and peck over their van. Or, we can just piss on each other and let everyone fend for themselves and not only not make the world better for anyone else but, make it worse...... it IS easier!

You probably aren't aware that the University of Washington wanted to impact the HIV (AIDS)problem. For reasons I am not going to go into here and now that family of viruses is VERY difficult to come to terms with. So, they developed their own software and put the issue on its University controlled and run server in the name of a game.......... then allowed the entire University and particularly their "gamers" to have at it.........Can you 'decode" the virus and how to deal with it..........non-scientists......... these were GAMERS in the name of competition and fun dealing with a WORLD WIDE disastor. I don't know the time frame but, indeed the gamers did manage to put together a theory that the scientists think is plausible and certainly worth their time developing........

The gamers didn't just type in yawn and go get their milk and cookies. BIGGER THINGS ARE AND CAN BE AT STAKE HERE. And this doesn't begin to address the difference between those who own a Sprinter for personal gain and those (like myself) who own one or more to MAKE A LIVING!

OK now you have plenty of material to make another sophmorish comment!

Larry:thumbup:

OrioN
10-04-2011, 03:08 AM
I am sure this is a yawn for you! A: You were probably up past your bedtime and B: there is a premise here that you can't grasp.

With enough information things can become easier or, at the very least, understandable. Beyond that a wider and greater group can be served with less hassle and less fuss, of course the more sophmorish don't care or worry about such matters.

I ask the questions that I do for a reason....... the answers actually exist somewhere, if the right people communicated with another set of right people. For instance is LHM for a burnt out tail light simply bad code or does MB have some reason for that? If it is just bad code then anything and everything can be some happenstance occurenace and anything and everything on the vehicle can and should be circumspect. If on the other hand it isn't bad code and MB actually does want the van in LHM for a burnt out bulb then why?

Back to the E500....... if MB wants LHM for a burnt out bulb because that is their coporate philosophy to keep everyone safe so be it.....Now if any van is in LHM (or won't do anything past 45 for those new enough to not have experienced that for themsevles) then the first thing to look at would be ANYTHING that could be sending a signal to the ECU that would give the ECU reason to believe the vehicle or the occupants aren't safe.....This is not a random act of God........ there would be a reason for it.

Since I haven't had any experience with another Mercedes since my parents 76 300D (which was one hell of a car) nor will I have any future experience with an MB product, I don't know what the E500 is programmed for. However, I would bet $20.00 that crowd is not going into LHM for burnt out tail lights....... I don't think they would tolerate that at all.

So if the Vans are the only ones going into LHM for tail light problems - WHY? What is driving the logic at MB to do this? Is it in one of their contracts with FedEx, UPS, the Feds? With
THAT knowledge one could also make some deductions on where to start looking for some of these less than transparent problems.

Then to the New York Vans. Does the city of New York know they own a van that potentially can (and at some point will) go into LHM if they have a "stock" ECU? I mean it could develop that on the way to the crime scene the tailight gets shot out and they are now in LHM mode. Not so good. I can't imagine that anyone on here knows what that ECU has been programmed for but, I would bet another $20.00 that they don't have LHM as an option on those vans. And again I ask WHY? MB needs to keep us safe but, they don't need to keep the fine officers of the City of New york safe?

If that is also true than a compromise has been made. IF that compromise has indeed been made, what other compromises have been made? And understanding those compromises will yet again make diagnosing these random acts of broken down Sprinters easier to figure out.

Also if this list were to SYSTEMATICALLY ask and answer questions based on folks expreiences and personal databases then a real WEALTH of knowledge could be not only available to the regular users of this list but, virtually any Sprinter owner in the world.

If it could be documented, my guess would be that even without Andy there is more Sprinter expertise on this list than there is in certified Sprinter mechanics and I would further hazard a guess it isn't close. So if the REAL expertise is on THIS list, and the information were systematically organized then a lot of "normal" folk could rest a bit easier owning and driving a Sprinter AND not waste their hard earned money allowing a certified nonknowledgeable mehcanic hunt and peck over their van. Or, we can just piss on each other and let everyone fend for themselves and not only not make the world better for anyone else but, make it worse...... it IS easier!

You probably aren't aware that the University of Washington wanted to impact the HIV (AIDS)problem. For reasons I am not going to go into here and now that family of viruses is VERY difficult to come to terms with. So, they developed their own software and put the issue on its University controlled and run server in the name of a game.......... then allowed the entire University and particularly their "gamers" to have at it.........Can you 'decode" the virus and how to deal with it..........non-scientists......... these were GAMERS in the name of competition and fun dealing with a WORLD WIDE disastor. I don't know the time frame but, indeed the gamers did manage to put together a theory that the scientists think is plausible and certainly worth their time developing........

The gamers didn't just type in yawn and go get their milk and cookies. BIGGER THINGS ARE AND CAN BE AT STAKE HERE. And this doesn't begin to address the difference between those who own a Sprinter for personal gain and those (like myself) who own one or more to MAKE A LIVING!

OK now you have plenty of material to make another sophmorish comment!

Larry:thumbup:

<yawn> <yawn>

gettin' old there Larry... getting old...

larry8061
10-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Actually it isn't - it's a moderately new concept that is starting to catch on. And THANK YOU! You proved a needless point - have a good day!

Love,

larry

Rock
10-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Larry8061
I would like to continue this examination of MB LHM philosophy. After going though limp mode in the mountians this summer, I have a real concern about taking extented trips. Having a engine warning light go on and worrying about going into LHM in a remote area is bad news. With no way solve the problem, I feel like MB is purposely controlling the my service options and forcing a long distance tow ccost to a MD approved repair/dealer. Especially after emission warranty ends, I want to decide how much stress I put on my Sprinter engine.
Thanks for your post.
Rock

mjeffrey
10-04-2011, 08:28 PM
Is this the first time that the Sprinters are used by the police within US? I know Sprinters are used by other police dept in other countries

I know that Seattle, WA and Kirkland, WA (just across the lake) both have police Sprinters.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ajmstudios/sets/72157624858249051/detail/

I'm pretty sure I've seen an NCV3 in Kirkland as well as the T1N pictured.

Cheers,
Mike.

BBlessing
10-04-2011, 09:55 PM
I know that Seattle, WA and Kirkland, WA (just across the lake) both have police Sprinters.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ajmstudios/sets/72157624858249051/detail/

I'm pretty sure I've seen an NCV3 in Kirkland as well as the T1N pictured.

Cheers,
Mike.

that's awesome! makes you wonder if they got anything special powertrainwise.

bb