PDA

View Full Version : Tips on 3rd party nav systems?

anomaly
09-10-2007, 06:48 AM
Planning to install a GPS nav system in my new toy. Anyone have recommendations on products to purchase (or avoid) or on installation - e.g. connection of the GPS antenna?

Thanks as always for the info and help.

mean_in_green
09-10-2007, 09:00 PM
Yes, check out Pioneer.

The latest generation of double DIN systems are far superior to COMAND, which is getting a bit long in the tooth now.

glasseye
09-19-2007, 05:19 AM
A laptop and a simple GPS work well for me. But then, I drive an Asstro.:idunno:

sikwan
09-19-2007, 06:01 AM
Can't recommend a center dash unit, but can recommend a Garmin. We went the Garmin route because we don't always use the van :shhh:.

I also like the fact that I have it just below my line of sight to the road. I like to just glance downwards rather than all the way to the center console.

Zach Woods
09-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Can't recommend a center dash unit, but can recommend a Garmin. We went the Garmin route because we don't always use the van :shhh:.

Howdy anomaly -

A friend of a friend publishes The Digital RV (http://www.digitalrv.net/) - and they are both named Rich. Both Rich's swear by their Garmin 2610's.

Easy to move between vehicles, very good quality screen and updateable map info.

I have been meaning to ask them if they recommend one of the current Garmin models over any others but I have yet to get around to it.

Zach

Propwash
09-19-2007, 03:13 PM
I bought a Garmin NUVI 660 its updatable and has blue tooth for Hands free Telephone. Sometimes I wonder whos inside that box looking at the map, I'll get to the destination but it may be via the scenic route. In Oregon do not take Logging roads in winter:2cents:

unimog
09-19-2007, 04:23 PM
Agree that Garmin 660 is the way to go. love mine

ewxlt
09-21-2007, 02:41 AM
Which power source do you guys use to power your 3rd party devices like your Garmin gps?

I had my Garmin plugged in to my cigarette lighter and it blew the fuse. Dealer said it's a big no no! What the heck?

sikwan
09-21-2007, 03:27 AM
Dealer said it's a big no no! What the heck?

:wtf:

Your Garmin cigarette lighter should have a fuse in it. My Garmin cigarette lighter plug has a 1A fuse in it. The 12V receptacle (at least in the T1N) is rated 15A.