Fix my sprinter

KMDE

Animal Transportation
2010 diesel.
Went to get an oil and fuel filter change. Also got my air filter and cabin air filter changed.
Drove about 14 miles and after 10 or so my check engine light came on however I noticed a problem as soon as I drove off.
I should have turned back but figured I was just use to my 5.4 gas motor in my expedition.
The problem: Very low power off the line. Not the usual lack of power before the turbo kicks in but a lot less. Once the turbo kicks in the power seems to regain back to normal. Turbo is also louder and making more of a whispery noise. Not low crisp whistle it use to be.
Hopefully someone on here can point me in the right direction or I will have to bring it back tomorrow.

I have a 5 + thousand trip in two days and need this fixed!
TIA

Last edited:
From what you had done, In order of possible causes-

the first thing that comes to my mind to check would be something with the intake air. Some maybe came loose or not installed correctly? throwing off the sensors and setting your code. To me that would be the most likely cause of the check engine light/lack of power but maybe someone else can offer more info than me.

the next would be fuel related- but not sure how it would cause your problems
third would be oil- most likely not the issue
forth- cabin air, it's hard to see how this would be the cause.

I hope you figure it out

Last edited:

KMDE

Animal Transportation
Well found the problem. Intake hose after the filter and before the turbo is not connected..
Now to fix and hope the engine light comes off.

KMDE

Animal Transportation
cool, I like simple fixes like that. Not sure, but your code should clear itself once the problem is fixed.
Okay all fixed. Yeah that was my next question. I just took it not even two miles light is still on. I guess we will see.

sailquik

KMDE,
It usually takes 3-6 start/drive/shutdown cycles to clear a code of this magnitude.
If it runs well and you are sure the hose is now secure and not leaking, drive it a
bit more tomorrow and make sure to shut it off and restart it a few times.
That should clear the code.
Roger

KMDE,
It usually takes 3-6 start/drive/shutdown cycles to clear a code of this magnitude.
If it runs well and you are sure the hose is now secure and not leaking, drive it a
bit more tomorrow and make sure to shut it off and restart it a few times.
That should clear the code.
Roger
And may even need the engine temperature to go up to normal operating level. If not, that particular start-stop cycle may not be counted.

I'm thinkin' the loose hose was your problem. With that hose disconnected the MAF would be unhappy for one thing. If you get back to the dealer they can tell you what DTC's were set and then do a reset to turn off the light. Good luck. vic

autostaretx

Erratic Member
There have also been reports of improperly installed air filters collapsing inside the box and blocking air flow
(there have been photos posted to the group)

So check that the filter is still flat and happy.

--dick

KMDE

Animal Transportation
Thanks all for the responses. I do not think I will be driving it before I leave. I hardly ever drive it around town and on the road will often do a week and never shut it off =]
Yes I fill up with it running.

There is no problem driving with it on is there? That is if it doesn't go off. I am going to go fill it up a day before we leave so hopefully it goes off then.
It would be over a hour drive to get this code taken off so it's not worth my time unless needed.

There have also been reports of improperly installed air filters collapsing inside the box and blocking air flow
(there have been photos posted to the group)

So check that the filter is still flat and happy.

--dick
Yeah I checked the filter and it looked fine. I took it out and when I replaced it the middle of the back was down just slightly. I will open it up again and make sure it is set perfect. It is such a tight squeeze I couldn't imagine it drooping down.

This was a simple thing to fix but I should have never had to do it.
Things like this really make me look twice at who is servicing my van.
I do like this shop a lot better then the two Mercedes dealers whom have done previous work.

KMDE

Animal Transportation
Okay great! I wish it was a vacation. This will be another trip which we usually average 1,100 miles a day. Vacation is any time spent home!
Yeah the light in my expedition is usually on and has been for 4,5,6+ years. I know the problem and it is not worth replacing a faulty 300 censor so it stays.
It went off just in time for emissions so that was good =]
Have a good night or day!

larry8061

The "niche" businesses on here are just fascinating.......

Would I be wrong in assuming you are transporting dogs and, who is your market?

Fascinating..............

Larry

KMDE

Animal Transportation
The "niche" businesses on here are just fascinating.......

Would I be wrong in assuming you are transporting dogs and, who is your market?

Fascinating..............

Larry
We transport dogs, cats and birds. However we will do any domestic animals from snakes and lizards to guinea pigs to fish if requested.
We do most relocation for people moving who just do not have the time or space to move pets.
We also do business from people adopting from out of state and then from people buying from a breeder. We also do holiday trips for people there and back.
I am happy I booked this years with repeat business.
Always a good sign.

Most people give me a very weird look when I tell them what I do.
Typical question is: Is business good? Or Do you do that for a living?
Yes and Yes. We get more calls and emails for business then I can handle.
We travel the 48 continuous states. Most trips are 5000 miles and we do those in 5 days tops.
Had I the energy I would be out every week and home for 2 days but that is just not possible.
I have a trip in October to northern Cali to Vegas I can't wait for such a short trip!

What sets us apart from other transporters is mainly 3 things.
First our van. 2010 Mercedes Sprinter. When I tell people that I can see through the phone their eyes bug up, they love hearing Mercedes.
[I also mention how it is custom built for animal transportation].
Next We use facebook along the way to post pictures of their pets and give them a little location update. Most trips are so fast this is only 1 or two post.
Most people enjoy this greatly, others couldn't care less.
Thirdly my brother and drive as a team. Most but not all companies use one driver.
We also sleep in the van so their pets aren't being moved in and out of motels and the such.
We are also set up with a roof top AC and gen. That re assures a lot.
We have a microwave and fridge so we for the most part only stop for fuel, which is 3 2-3 times daily.

We now drive 65 tops. We use to pump it up to 75 down south here but we would get 400 miles per tank. We can now pull 525 doing 65 and just can't afford these diesel prices.

230321a

We transport dogs, cats and birds. However we will do any domestic animals from snakes and lizards to guinea pigs to fish if requested.
A smart business. :thumbup: I have spent many years in the transport system. Always more money for the owner to do team drivers. I wasn't smart enough to see your nitch. Congratulations. :bow:

Top Bottom