Oil Pressure Relief Valve 2002-2006 location

vlox333

Hello there.
I have 2006 3500 cab and chassis, recently underwent engine tore-down, rotated crankshaft, new main and rod bearings, new gaskets and such due to negligent stupidity of one of my helpers (ex). It was taking vehicle in -20 F, not checking oil ( it was very long due to change), driving it without warm up, disconnecting crankshaft vent heater, and finally blowing all the oil somewhere because too much pressure build up inside the engine. It happened in the middle of the nite in the open field, in deep freeze, so he tried to warm up by idling engine without oil, until rod bearing started to melt down and weld itself to the crank.
Long story short, in present time it took me like 5 month, till i found the guy, who pulled the engine out, took it apart, and back together. Was relatively cheap. but.
after sprinter was up and running ( without power and below 2000 RPM's and blowing black smoke, another guy trying to determine why right now), i found little round thing on the shelf in the garage, which did look like smaller version of thermostat from cooling system, but it was kinda greasy and oily . It was broken on one side. I've got this really strong feeling it is something from my Sprinter. Local dealer was no help. And only couple of days ago, accidentally, ordering some stuff from Europarts SD, i stumbled upon picture, you could see it here. It is Oil Pressure Relief Valve 2002-2006.
Does anyone have detailed drawing of spot where it goes to? I heard it is somewhere in the oil pump. How bad it is drive without it? Please let me know!
Appreciate your guys help in advance.

Attachments

First let me extend you a hale and hearty welcome to the forum.

Can you post the link and area where you found the picture? That may help someone identify it.

I'm guessin' here so FWIW. I know they are doing lots of stuff with plastic, but that doesn't look like an oil pump internal part to me. A part from an engine vent or intake system could also be very oily due to entrained oil. vic

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
i found little round thing on the shelf in the garage, which did look like smaller version of thermostat from cooling system, but it was kinda greasy and oily . It was broken on one side. I've got this really strong feeling it is something from my Sprinter. Local dealer was no help. And only couple of days ago, accidentally, ordering some stuff from Europarts SD, i stumbled upon picture, you could see it here. It is Oil Pressure Relief Valve 2002-2006.
Does anyone have detailed drawing of spot where it goes to? I heard it is somewhere in the oil pump. How bad it is drive without it? Please let me know!
Appreciate your guys help in advance.
This is a directional flow valve, located inside the timing cover.

It's job is to prevent draining of the oil filter housing when engine is shut off.

Doktor A

vlox333

INSIDE THE TIMING COVER???? OMG!! Andy, please don't tell me i have to pull tht engine out again!. I wont be able to handle this much....::cry:

vlox333

First let me extend you a hale and hearty welcome to the forum.

Can you post the link and area where you found the picture? That may help someone identify it.

I'm guessin' here so FWIW. I know they are doing lots of stuff with plastic, but that doesn't look like an oil pump internal part to me. A part from an engine vent or intake system could also be very oily due to entrained oil. vic
Thank you Aqua. Pic i 've got from Europarts SD, and they listed this thing as Oil Pressure Relief valve. Here it the link: http://store.europarts-sd.com/oilpressurereliefvalve2002-2006.aspx. And now i'm confused.

Thank you Aqua. Pic i 've got from Europarts SD, and they listed this thing as Oil Pressure Relief valve.
And now i'm confused.
Don't be confused. Listen to Doktor A.

There are quite a few parts listed for the Sprinter which I think have less than properly descriptive names. I wouldn't be too hung up about the part description you found.

The intent of my post was mostly to welcome you in case nobody responded right away. My comment about plastic parts and possibly being for a vent or other application was just in passing. Doktor A has the real information. You might try calling him on his Sprinter hotline to discuss the specific situation with your engine.

The Doktor A Sprinter Hotline is 412-366-6165.

Andy (Dr. A) Bittenbinder

He resides in EDT so time your call accordingly.

Good luck. vic

Top Bottom