Fitting 4 passenger bench as 2nd row seating? Possible?

gabics

Hi all,

Picked up my 2007 Sprinter Cargo van last Friday. It is a high roof long wheelbase 2500. A 24ft beauty.

I found a used 4 person bench seat close to where I live, but not sure If I can install it as a 2nd row seating? Anyone tried this? Is it possible? Is the 4 passenger seat uses the same brackets as the 3 passenger seat?

I like to have the dealer install the the bench seat brackets in the floor.

Thanks,
gabor

sikwan

06 Tin Can
The four passenger uses the same 3 leg brackets on the floor, but it also has tethers mounted up high that bolt to the sidewalls of the van. This is to compensate for the extra seat (weight).

gabics

Thanks sikwan! I inspected the pictures and now I can see the tethers. So it seems mounting it would be OK on the drivers side (no side door), but would be impossible on the passenger side.

I was also wondering the width... Would it be in a way when opening/closing the side door from the inside?

Thanks!

Maxgroup

Gabor,

The 4 seater will fit, however the right passenger will seat on top ot the stair, not ideal, also it's supposed to be anchored on both sides to side wall. And the biggest issue, the 4 seater doesn't come with the quick release mechanizem, so you'll need to open screws to release it.

Unless that 4th passanger is mission critical, I would go with a 3 seater.

shanemac

Interesting thread i come across a 4 person bench seat and i had the same questions and concerns...i figure i will keep looking for a 3 person bench.

Andrew85

i have a 4 person seat that i use olmoust every week( in and out kinda heavy) but it fits perfectly with no problems you can also use it as a bed i will post some pics later.

gabics

Thanks guys for the valuable replies.

I have found a used 3 seater bench near by.
The side tethers and not being able to walk to the cargo area with the side doors closed put a stop on the 4 seater for me.

Ordered the brackets from the dealer, now I just need to find a shop in Calgary who would install them for me.

gabics

Found a 3 person bench seat at Shoppers Automotive in Calgary. They often remove seats to make room for wheelchair installation equipment. I believe they still have one bench left from a 2010 Sprinter.

They also mounted the brackets for me which I ordered from the Dodge dealer.

The installation job was OK, not the way I would have preferred, but it should work fine ( I a was told so).

If anyone is searching for used benches, I suggest to call your local wheelchair conversion shops.

Thanks.

Ezinben

Ezinben
I have a four passenger bench seat as a second row seat. With four giant boys, I have to have the four seater. My cargo van has 2 rails running along the length of the van(factory supplied). The front ends of the rails were cut to approximate the mounting location of the four mounting brackets. A router was used to cut the shape of the brackets in the plywood/composite floor. The 2 front brackets were secured to the frame where the rails used to be secured to the frame with the factory supplied bolts. The two rear brackets were secured to the rail tie-down recess with 2 turnbuckles and the mercedes supplied "knob". Each turnbuckle/rail/knob can withstand 10,000 lb. of pressure. Thus there was no need to tie down the seat. My "car" was just tested by Mercedes under the EPA rules and I did not receive a ticket from Mercedes for a safety violation. In fact they were impressed. The beauty of it all is that there are enough spaces both in front and behind the seat for easy ingress and egress for anybody under 350 lb. I drove 850 miles to South Carolina with passengers on the 2nd row. It also makes for a good bed.

wshtb

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. But reading the posts, I'm under the impression that people are talking about different "2nd" row.

My understanding:

Driver/Passenger - 1st row.
3-person bench - 2nd row
3-person bench - 3rd row
4-person bench - 4th row

Based on my experience, 4-person bench fits on 2nd row fine. You can close the door.

I'm curious to know if the 4-person bench fits on the 3rd row, given that it is right next to the protruding door frame.

umicheng

Hoping to revive this thread. I'm trying to decide on a design for a 4x4. We're thinking the 4 seater bench in the 2nd row would be great so that we can have 1 more passenger, but for most of the time, the dogs sit there and they wouldnt fall of the sides with the 4-seat bench since it does door to door.

Questions:
Do these MB benches come with the brackets for baby car seats (would get a dog seat belt that uses this)?
Does the 4-seat bench recline? One member mentioned using this as a bed, so was just curious?
Any one have pictures of the 4 seat in the 2nd row actually being installed?
Can some one confirm that the mounting brackets are the same as a 3-seat bench?

Now to make it interesting....does any one know if benches fit with the limited floor space with both LH & RH side doors?

Hoping to revive this thread. I'm trying to decide on a design for a 4x4. We're thinking the 4 seater bench in the 2nd row would be great so that we can have 1 more passenger, but for most of the time, the dogs sit there and they wouldnt fall of the sides with the 4-seat bench since it does door to door.

Questions:
Do these MB benches come with the brackets for baby car seats (would get a dog seat belt that uses this)?
Does the 4-seat bench recline? One member mentioned using this as a bed, so was just curious?
Any one have pictures of the 4 seat in the 2nd row actually being installed?
Can some one confirm that the mounting brackets are the same as a 3-seat bench?

Now to make it interesting....does any one know if benches fit with the limited floor space with both LH & RH side doors?
The MB 4 person bench does not have the clips for baby seat as the second row 3 seater has. Also the 4 seater has two straps on the top each side that bolt to the wall braces at sides because with 4 people in this seat with seat belts on in a front end collision will probably pull the seat out of the floor brackets. And being in the second row you will not be able to brace one side because of the door.
Other problem is because it's width it will go over the step making it awkward to get in and out and uncomfortable for the person sitting at the end beside the door.

Mike

Last edited:

Top Bottom