Is this conversion posible

sam in france

Hi

I have a RHD 2005 mercedes Sprinter 416 MWB, 70,000 miles only, it is an ex police vehicle 4x4, it was used for special operations arround the UK airports

We bought it because it had been specialy converted to 4x4 and has 9 seats so it was perfect for our ski business in France, being 4x4 and having 9 seats, it is also great for the lugage and i can carry the snowboards and ski's stood up because of the high roof

However it has proved to be imposible to register in France because the side door opens on the wrong side

I have looked into having the door put on the other side but it is too expensive, which brings me to my question

If i bought a LHD French registered Sprinter minibus, i am thinking a 316, could i put the 4x4 setup off my 416 onto this one, i do need to reduse the GVW down to 3.500kg because above that it causes licensing problems, this is easily done with a UK reg 416, hence get a French 316, i would then sell the uk reg van back in the uk as a 2 wheel drive

So can anyone highlight any problems with this

Regards

Sam Edwards

Eric Experience

Sam.
I looked at doing this but the opposite way. The mechanicals are straight forward but the computor has to recognise the 4x4 function. I have not found anybody who can fix that so the only way it can be done is to transfer the complete wiring loom and all locks and dash module plus computor over, then the computor has to be set to the injectors on the different motor. Probably easier to have a motor home builder cut in a hinged door on the corrrect side. Or send the 4x4 to me,then I would have what I wanted . Eric.

hayduke

2005/2006 leisure travel
I guess the French have their own "wrong side". Arent there a lot of vehicles in France like that?

Weld the door shut for the gendarmes and use the back as entry and exit.

sam in france

Hi Eric

Thank you for your input, I dont get the computer thing, mine is a manual and to select 4 wheel drive i have to activate a button on the dash, the same to select the rear diff lock

So i am strugling to see why it should involve the computer,

Sam

Eric Experience

Sam.
The transfer case control is linked to the computor, the reason is to prevent the use of 4x4 over about 60ks, it also prevents shifting ratio when moving. The electronic stability also can not function in 4x4 as it controls stability by pulsing individual wheels so the 4x4 control turns the stability control off and activates electronic traction control. You could wire the transfer control to be independant of the computor but the stability would be confused and you would not have the benifit of the traction control. You could remove the side door handle to get it past the registration. Eric

sam in france

Hi Eric

Thank you again for the information, i think i need to find out exacly what is on mine, as far as i am aware it does not have traction control, i do want to exhaust this idea before i give up on it, i have emailed Oberaigner to see if i can get any input from them

Re the door, it is a passenger van and they will only accept a door on the other side

does anyone know how to find out what is fitted to these vans or how i can find out

Regards

Sam

bc339

You can try stopping by a MB dealer parts department, give them your VIN and they may be able to give you a build sheet on how it was fitted when it left the factory.

You could try SPRINTERUK - Chris Case. He may be able to help you out.

You can also try epc (electronic parts catalog) online, a MB site in the US - $12.00 annual subscription. It has a feature to display your vehicle's data card and will display parts available for your Sprinter (or any MB model) based on the VIN. It takes a little to learn, but you can manipulate it for other countries and areas for part numbers that you may want. http://epc.startekinfo.com/epc/

Some of us have subscriptions and my offer to help. If you send your VIN, I can research it later today.

Bruce

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
If i bought a LHD French registered Sprinter minibus, i am thinking a 316, could i put the 4x4 setup off my 416 onto this one, i do need to reduse the GVW down to 3.500kg because above that it causes licensing problems, this is easily done with a UK reg 416, hence get a French 316, i would then sell the uk reg van back in the uk as a 2 wheel drive

So can anyone highlight any problems with this
Sam,

The door is an easier job to resolve than a complete drive train and all wheel drive system transplant. For a start the rear suspension pick ups are in different locations on the floor pans of 316s and 416s. I guess anything's possible but that conversion will be a World of Pain from day one.

Weld the side door and fit a roller shutter to the other side?

Eric Experience

Sam.
Sprinters have a orange triangle in the centre of the dash, this triangle flashes when your traction control is activated, you must have noticed it when driving on a loose surface. Eric.

sam in france

Hi Bruce

The VIN number is WDB9046622R811733

It would be interesting to see what you come up with, I have to say the change is starting to look unlikely

Regards

Sam

Thunderbolt

Sam

Where did you get your sprinter? I've been looking for a similar one for years.

Do you need it to be french registered? A friend of mine has a similar business in Spain, he uses a UK registered van, insured in the UK with cover for 6 months abroad (he has a house here) and brings the van back. As long as the van stays less than 12months in Spain then he doesn't have to register it. I'm pretty sure that the rules are similar across the EU. It might be an avenue you can explore as another way around this issue.

Best of luck

Cal

sam in france

Hi Cal

They are very rare, I got it from a dealer who bought it at a police auction, they were specialy ordered in 4x4, for patroling the areas arround the airports because of the terrorist threats, the 4x4 option cost the police almost £10,000

Lots of companies here do run their vehicles on UK plates and i do understand about the 6 months in a particular country rule, but stricly speaking to run the vehicle in a business out here it should be French registered

I could be tempted to sell if you were interested

Sam

bc339

Sam, here's your datacard. SA codes list the options of your Sprinter. Page 4 is a listing of the vehicle systems or components (SA numbers), such as electrical, brakes, instruments and so on.
If there is a particular item you have a question on, let me know.

Bruce

Attachments

Top Bottom