Limp Home Mode

Dan DeVries

I am new to the forum. I have a 2007 Winnebago View with a 2006 engine. It has gone into limp mode at least 4 times since owning it. Once in the middle of nowhere Alaska. The Alaska Chrysler dealer replaced the intake air tem[ sensor and it worked.

In 2008 the Chrysler dealer in Lynwood WA replaced the resonator - and it all seemed good.

Today - on my way to vacation, it went in limp mode again and barely made it home.

Are there any current theories on why this keeps happening? What kind of fix should I expect from my local Chrysler dealer?

HELP!

glas1700

Re: Towing = Limp Home Mode Instantly

This should have been posted in the T1N Forum, but I'll reply here.

I think that the replacement turbo resonator has now failed, because even the latest version of the resonator is subject to the same glue joint failure. Your local dealer will check for codes and probably install a new resonator. If this is the outcome, order a Riordan aluminum resonator eliminator from www.europarts-sd.com, install it and you'll be a happy camper.

Byron
07 Navion

I am new to the forum. I have a 2007 Winnebago View with a 2006 engine. It has gone into limp mode at least 4 times since owning it. Once in the middle of nowhere Alaska. The Alaska Chrysler dealer replaced the intake air tem[ sensor and it worked.

In 2008 the Chrysler dealer in Lynwood WA replaced the resonator - and it all seemed good.

Today - on my way to vacation, it went in limp mode again and barely made it home.

Are there any current theories on why this keeps happening? What kind of fix should I expect from my local Chrysler dealer?

HELP!

It's true that it may be another resonator but it also may be any of the the hoses on the turbo plumbing have sprung a leak. I had a similar problem and when I popped the hood it was just a split in the intake air hose, easy fix and I changed all the hoses at the same time.

I think if you are going to be preventative with your maintenance you should change your air hoses every 75K or have some duct tape and zip ties ready for a band aid fix on the road.

sailquik

Dan,
Consider getting a ScanGaugeII.
Then you can monitor the LOaD on the engine, monitor the turbo output pressure and engine coolant temperature a little better and learn to drive in the most efficient gear more of the time.
The Views are fairly heavy, you live in an area with lots of hills....do you just put your Sprinter in Drive and leave it there?
This could be a big part of your issues.
If you can monitor the % engine LOaD then you can downshift out of 5th gear (0.83:1
overdrive) and into 4th gear (1:1 straight thru the transmission) and get the engine revs
up where the 2006 OM-647 makes some power and is more efficient going uphill.
Also, if you have an issue, you can look at the turbo output and will know immediately if
the boost pressure is leaking out somewhere at the turbo resonator or one of the turbo hose.
Roger

Last edited:

Dan DeVries

Thanks - I try and use the transmission when I can to get it up and down the hills.
Do you know where to buy a ScanGauge II?

A lot of the threads I see here are older. Have there been any new fixes to the resonator design to help this problem?

Dan

asodergren

As I've posted elsewhere on the forum, my 2005 had a chronic case of intermittent LHM. I cleaned the Mass Air Flow sensor with CRC MAF sensor cleaner and I've not seen the problem again. Worth a try at less than $10 and about 10 minutes of light effort. If nothing else, you will have a cleaner MAF sensor.

larry8061

Do not pass go, do not collect $200.00, follow the helpful advice and GET RID OF THE DAMN TURBO RESONATOR! There isn't a valid reason for it to be there, and the replacement is easy to do and moderately cheap (considering the hosing the dealerhips do). Even if you are mehcanically incomptent you and a buddy (or your wife) can do it in 2-3 hours with 3 coffee breaks.

Good luck!

Larry

There are so many things which can cause a Sprinter to be set in Limp-in LHM mode that it really is a disservice to blame the turbo resonator off hand. My opinion is that there are many different forms or levels of LHM which are possible.

Here's some general information about LHM Limp Home Mode.

LHM limp home mode possible causes
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7173

A search will uncover much more information. Please do not just concentrate on the dreaded Turbo Resonator. Especially when driving in Alaska where ambient temperatures are normally a bit lower so the TR is not always the culprit. Here's one Alaska experience. (His 2006 does have the dreaded turbo resonator. It was not the problem by the way.)

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17434

Good luck. vic

larry8061

Well we agree on one thing: there is a LOT of **** that can put a Sprinter in LHM (including your tail lights!)

Dis-service? I am not so sure about that one. I've had it happen twice because of that pointless resonator on 500+ mile trips and it is typically on Sunday night on the freeway coming home - it ain't fun. Once that kind of thing happens there is no peace driving the van again. If I'd have had the time I would have taken my DB meter and checked the noise level differences when I chenaged it out - it is marginally noticeable.

Beyond that..... the REAL fix it is a moderately affordable piece that is EASY to replace by the owner and it just takes that problem out of the equation for GOOD! It is a HIDEOUSLY stupid idea to glue two pieces of plastic together and THEN put it near a lot of heat. Right up there with risking someone's life because their horn fuse went out.

A piece that has no real life value (contrary to MB's assertions I am sure), that was again HIDEOUSLY executed, by the crackpot engineers at MB and, to make it even worse then capitalized on by the dealerships to add to THEIR profit margins.......anybody want a sub-prime martgage for their house?:thumbdown:

Hey just one persons opinion who owns an '04 that is resonatorless!
Larry

Hey just one persons opinion who owns an '04 that is resonatorless!
Larry
Larry,
Thanks for the input. My 2004 with over 225,000 miles has what I believe is the OEM turbo resonator. I've carried a spare ($40.00) for over 3 years now without needing it. There are many Sprinters running with resonators and no problems, but there are many like you who swear by the Riordan replacement and swear at the TR.

To clarify. What I meant by disservice was recommending TR replacement as a solution when we don't have all the facts. The billet aluminum TR replacement is not a silver bullet for LHM. That was my point. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that. Have fun. vic

Last edited:

asodergren

At one time, I was considering the Riordan replacement. Dr. A told me, either through the forum or an email, to stick with the OEM resonator. He didn't elaborate. I chose to follow his advice.

larry8061

I take both of your points and, neither do I mean to suggest that the TR is the root of the world not being at peace. However, it does eliminate a possible problem and in my case makes it possible for me to not have to take drugs on Sunday night as I drive home hoping the damn van will make it.

I am quite sure there are a lot of resonator equiped Sprinters whose owners don't even know that piece exists........ on the other hand there are way too many of us that DO know it exists. And I STILL think it was stupid execution on the part of MB.

When I am on the road with the Sprinter and coming back from wherever it is because I have worked my butt off for the week I am out and just don't need the hassle or worry on top of the exhaustion. And none of us have discussed this isn't on a $3,000 used Kia. We are talking $30,000+ work trucks........ugh.....

THANKS!!:thumbup:

Larry

Top Bottom