PDA

View Full Version : Pulling the radio from your 2007 wagon

anomaly
09-05-2007, 02:19 AM
So - here's what the dash looked like when I started:

The first step is to pull the fascia from the dash. I used a 10-in-1 tool, but any small, smooth tool (like a putty knife) would work for this part.

Start at the top and gradually work your way down...

Now, move down a bit

Gently pull the fascia loose

Finally let it dangle while you get ready to pull the screws!

anomaly
09-05-2007, 02:28 AM
Now we're ready to start pulling screws from the dash. You'll need a T25 torx driver. Most of the screws are easy to find. Two of them are obscured by the cubby hole under the head unit, and you'll be able to get to them after pulling that unit.

You'll need to pull the Heat and A/C controls to fit your hand into the space to release the latches that hold the cubby hole in place.

Pull these screws and gently push the latch to the right to release the bracket that holds the cooling fan. It's running when the van is running - so be careful... :)

Let the Heat and A/C controls dangle from the dash while you continue...

anomaly
09-05-2007, 02:40 AM
Here's an overview of the screws you'll need to pull. Remember that two of them won't be visible until you pull the cubby hole.

You'll need to pull that bracket with the tiny cooling fan out to make room.

This was a "stumper" for a while. After pulling the Heat and A/C control, reach in the gap, and feel around for the latches. There's one on the left and one on the right. Once you release them both, it should slide straight out toward you.

Pull the last two screws, and the stereo should slide right out!

Here's the label showing the part number.

For what it's worth, the stereo is manufactured by Becker Automotive.
http://www.beckerautosound.com/Index.html.htm

You can add the Aux in port to the back of the unit. Order the cable from Becker, plug it in and you're good to go!

I'll update this post with more info as I make progress on upgrading the stereo.

sikwan
09-05-2007, 02:47 AM
Awesome stuff Anomaly! :clapping:

anomaly
09-07-2007, 01:27 PM
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Accessories for BE7077
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 21:32:03 -0400
To: parts@beckerautosound.com

Hey guys - I just got my first Becker product. It's a "Sound 5" BE 7077 from a 2007 Dodge Sprinter. I'd love to enhance the features of my van while still being able to use the steering wheel controls for the stereo.

I have four questions for you guys:

1. I found the "Aux in Plug" Part# 5002.864.276 which I'm guessing will allow me to connect the headphone jack of my iPod to the Aux in port on the Sound 5. How much is that? I didn't find the price on the website.
This starts me on the path toward my goal!

The part you need would be BNA-1319, cost $16.40 plus shipping.
http://www.beckerautosound.com/Index.html.htm

2. I'd love to be able to connect my iPod to the head unit and have the iPod act just like a CD changer. Are you aware of any way to make that work?

No

3. Also, I'm planning to get the cell phone kit for my Sprinter, and I'd love to interconnect it with the radio so that the radio mutes when a call comes in. Is is possible to do that?

Yes, the cable comes with the AUX kit.

4. Finally, do you know if there's a Mercedes part number for this radio? That might help me find accessories compatible with this head unit.
No

Thanks much for any assistance or guidance you can provide.

Regards,
Tom Cooper

--
This is *your* life.
Are you *who* you want to *be*?

SprinterUSA1
09-07-2007, 11:58 PM
Anomaly,

the MB part number for the Sound 5 is shown on the back of your radio.

A 906 820 03 86

Cheers SprinterUSA1

DaveCo
09-22-2007, 04:18 PM
I just found this forum, I'm purchasing a 2007 and I thank you guys for the info the sprinters. This thread in particular as I the van I'm getting has the steering wheel controls and being the music and technological geek, I'm hoping to incorporate an ipod,cell phone,zumo gps into this head unit without replacing it if posssible. The zumo is blu tooth and xm ready but I'd rather not have it as the phone interface so I could use the steering wheel control to activate the phone and mute the radio no matter what the source of music or sound. Also as I scrolled through the source menu button (middle of volume) I noticed an aux and an aux/cd changer separately in menu, does that mean there are two aux inputs besides the radio? In the picture of that radio the date of manufacture says 10/07? Radios form the future! Probably meant to be 1/07...The speakers in this van are another story. Thanks again for all the info, Dave

anomaly
09-22-2007, 05:16 PM
the van I'm getting has the steering wheel controls and being the music and technological geek, I'm hoping to incorporate an ipod,cell phone,zumo gps into this head unit without replacing it if posssible. The zumo is blu tooth and xm ready but I'd rather not have it as the phone interface so I could use the steering wheel control to activate the phone and mute the radio no matter what the source of music or sound.

I've got a separate thread on the Aux In port (http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1806) and another on the phone interface (http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1807) Be sure to check those out as you head down this path.

As far as the steering wheel controls are concerned, I have found nothing which will allow me to redirect them to other devices in the vehicle. Apparently Mercedes uses a "standard" called CAN which essentially communicates with components in the van as nodes on the CAN network. (Not as simple as checking whether voltage is high/low or ground.)

I've spoken with Crutchfield, with local custom shops and have tried to become an "internet expert" on this with not much luck at all. You'd have to find a device which could connect to the CAN network, be recognized by the vehicle, have it receive the signals, and then have it output signals which could be understood by the device you're hooking up.

Essentially I've hit a brick wall on this and expect to not be able to use my phone buttons on the steering wheel for anything at all while I own this van, :cry:

Also as I scrolled through the source menu button (middle of volume) I noticed an aux and an aux/cd changer separately in menu, does that mean there are two aux inputs besides the radio?

Tragically, no. The Sound 5 has a single audio in channel and the head unit must be set to either talk to the cd changer or to use the audio in.

In the picture of that radio the date of manufacture says 10/07? Radios form the future! Probably meant to be 1/07...
There you go again, thinking like an American! :D
In most other parts of the world, they organize dates from the most frequently changed digits to the least frequently changed - so DD/MM/YY, not MM/DD/YY
Pretty sure that manufacture date is 10 July.

In summary, I think that I can get close to what I want - keeping the head unit, hooking up bluetooth phone interface so that it will mute and send the audio from the call through the system speakers.

If time permits, perhaps I can get the bluetooth done this weekend.

I still have a glimmer of hope that I'll be able to make the Sound 5 see my iPod as a CD changer (Waiting for parts. Expect an update in a week or so on this item...)

If that fails, I may end up getting a TomTom to act as GPS and also to provide iPod control routed into the Aux in on the sound 5.

More to come!

anomaly
09-22-2007, 06:45 PM
Pretty sure that manufacture date is 10 July.

Dang! Didn't get that edited before the 60 minute time for editing....

I made a mistake. What I wrote about "international" dates is right, but in manufacturing it's typical to do dates as week/year.

My bet is the date means "manufactured during week 10 of 2007"

sikwan
09-22-2007, 07:05 PM
No worries Anomaly. At least I knew what you were talking about. :thumbup:

DaveCo
09-22-2007, 09:14 PM
Ah , can-bus (I believe) is digital comunication between modules in a vehicle making for less wire bundles as the info flows back and forth on common wire networks as described by my friends at Memphis Motor Werks (memphismotorwerks.com) and is proprietary in its functions. So as you said, no checking for voltages on wires anymore. Some software and a computer may have to "initialize" any procedure on components added or subtracted from said system. Is this "parametric whatever it is box" I've heard talked about used in conjunction with this system for now and or future can bus compoment add on? I speak of this from knowledge shared to me, not a first hand experience so I could be completely wrong and would love to know if I'm flawed in my assesment of this particular vehicle. And again thanks to all for sharing this info. Forums of this type have helped me so much with motorcyles and cars. Aint the Internet Great:clapping: Dave

Expert Marine
09-23-2007, 08:36 AM
I am also looking into the AUX in, Navigation, and Blue Tooth options. Good info.

biggy herm
10-02-2007, 03:15 AM
Awesome job on making my life easier!

georgetg
10-02-2007, 06:27 AM
here is a radio install bezel kit for the NCV3 2007 model

from scosche (http://www.scosche.com/press_room.aspx?year=0&id=152)

Cheers
George

allroader
11-10-2007, 04:20 PM
They changed the link
http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/1464
Now I need to find an online retailer to purchase from

ricksprint07
12-14-2007, 11:05 AM
So when all is said and done, did the aux cable work for a standard mp3 input?

Thanks for all your work on this!

anomaly
12-14-2007, 12:44 PM
So when all is said and done, did the aux cable work for a standard mp3 input?

Thanks for all your work on this!

The Becker Aux kit converts from the ISO block connector on the back of the head unit to two RCA-Style inputs (left and right) it's a "line in" connection, so YES, any MP3 source can connect to the head unit.

See a full writeup here (http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1806)

Enjoy your Sprinter!

Anomaly

wmlog
06-26-2008, 02:26 AM
You're kind of gutsy! You disassembled the dash and removed the radio (to some degree) with the battery still connected (the radio was even on in one photo)! Not a good idea - you should disconnect the battery/batteries anytime you do such work. Have you ever seen an airbag go off? It will ruin your day, and they aren't cheap to replace, either.

Nice Photos, though. I, too, take photos of all dissassembly and reassembly.

SPRINTERUK
06-26-2008, 07:05 AM
hi guys

just a quick note you can get the original aux connection for the sound5 or sound 20
cost 26.95 shipped total just plug and play easy fit just email me i will send one to you
chriscase@gerardmann.co.uk

regards
chris

kmessinger
06-26-2008, 06:25 PM
You're kind of gutsy! You disassembled the dash and removed the radio (to some degree) with the battery still connected (the radio was even on in one photo)! Not a good idea - you should disconnect the battery/batteries anytime you do such work. Have you ever seen an airbag go off? It will ruin your day, and they aren't cheap to replace, either.

Nice Photos, though. I, too, take photos of all dissassembly and reassembly.

IMHO, there is a lot of electrical work that can be done without disconnecting the batteries. Disconnecting the battery when adding mods to your radio will create a problem where you need the radio code to reactivate. Also makes finding hot and acc/hot wires kinda difficult.

I can't really think of any electrical fault that would make the air bags deploy. While the airbags are use electrical power, their deployment is not decided upon by too much or too little electricity.

The manuals, OM and otherwise also say disconnect for two reasons. Liability and people who look fairly normal, but are stupid shade tree mechanics or ignorant jurists.

Regards,

Keith

Goliath
06-27-2008, 02:27 AM
The manuals, OM and otherwise also say disconnect for two reasons. Liability and people who look fairly normal, but are stupid shade tree mechanics or ignorant jurists.

:lol::thumbup::smirk::eek:

BBlessing
06-27-2008, 01:14 PM
so if i disconnect my battery for any reason, i have to have a code for the radio to work again?

bb

IMHO, there is a lot of electrical work that can be done without disconnecting the batteries. Disconnecting the battery when adding mods to your radio will create a problem where you need the radio code to reactivate. Also makes finding hot and acc/hot wires kinda difficult.

I can't really think of any electrical fault that would make the air bags deploy. While the airbags are use electrical power, their deployment is not decided upon by too much or too little electricity.

Regards,

Keith

SPRINTERUK
06-27-2008, 02:14 PM
Hi

I Have Checked In Our Workshops With The Nvc3 Sprinter Sound5/sound20 Radio When You Disconnect The Battery There Is No Code To Re-enter Just Re-connect The Power Ing On And The Radio Will Be Fine The T1 Sprinter There Was A Code To Enter
Hopes This Helps

Chris

cedarsanctum
06-27-2008, 05:13 PM
I have disconnected the battery, and the radio completely, and have never needed a code to reset the radio. The only little thing pulling the battery does is reset the mileage and trip odometer, i was hoping to keep the long term mileage meter going from the first 11 miles.

BBlessing
07-02-2008, 02:04 AM
just finished installing my aux in connector to my sound 20 i decided to put the receptical in a non conspicuous place. here is a pic.:thumbup:

bb

BBlessing
07-02-2008, 03:04 AM
the hole size is 17mm, 3/4 is too small and 11/16 is a little loose. don't ask how i know. if you can find a metric stepdrill, do it.

bb

bart
05-23-2009, 02:36 PM
I got the MP3/Aux Cable from Chris at Gerard Mann (SPRINTERUK) on thursday, and connected it on friday, with help from Anomaly's write up.

My only question is whether there is a Correct or Factory location for installing the input jack. BBlessing shows a picture above of his chosen location.

Does anyone have this option factory installed, or failing that, dealer installed, or failing that, printed instructions?

Thanks,

Bart

Goliath
05-23-2009, 08:01 PM
There isn't a factory MP3 input option for you to emulate as far as I know. It seems all of us who have followed Anomoly's excellent instructions have put the jack in various locations. I did the lazy thing and just let the phono jack hang out at the bottom of the center console bezel, right above the pocket by the shifter, which is where we put the iPod when it is in the vehicle.

Nathan

bart
05-24-2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks again for all the advice. I couldn't have removed the storage bin below the radio without Anomaly's write-up.
I took BBlessing's advice, and used a step drill up to 11/16, then used a file to enlarge the hole to 17mm.

The jack is a bit of a tight fit at my chosen location, but I'm happy with the result. Pictures below.

Bart

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww339/tedbarton/P1000644.jpg

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww339/tedbarton/P1000646.jpg

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww339/tedbarton/P1000647.jpg

folzag
05-24-2009, 09:03 PM
That looks really good Bart. IMO, the best I've seen. Congratulations. Where'd you end up getting your cable from? I'm new here and saw SPRINTERUK selling cables, but have no idea what's involved ordering from the UK to here in the US.

bart
05-25-2009, 10:01 AM
Ordering (to Canada) was easy. I emailed Chris (SPRINTERUK), and gave him my address and credit card info. I had the cable for $41 CDN 5 days later.

He also included a Mercedes Sprinter accessories catalogue, and a Mercedes key tag with his dealership name on it.

Bart

SPRINTERUK
05-25-2009, 02:10 PM
hi ted
looks great thats were a lot of people put there,s
allan if you need one just e-mail your full address and model number of your radio i.e sound5/sound20
regards
chris

WindTrackMind
07-11-2009, 02:25 AM
I have a 2008 Sound 5 system, and got my AUX in cable from Crutchfield. Installed it tonight and it works.
The cable is made for Blaupunkt radios, but works fine, and I didn't have put the pins into the cable, it had the 3 pins in the spots already... $9.99 plus shipping, see it here: Crutchfield BLAU/8-RCA (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_469BLAU8RC/Precision-Interface-Electronics-BLAU-8-RCA.html) (Blaupunkt compatible part no: 023AUXIN1R ) Crutchfield site says it will NOT work with Sprinter BTW. I looked up a Blaupunkt radio at the Crutchfield site, the connection on the back looked the same, even the pinout. The manual for a Blaupunkt (http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/023/023HBURG57.PDF) radio is avail at the site if you want to see it and the pinouts and the recommended Blaupunkt part.

After I plugged that into the rear of the radio, I plugged an IP35 from Dual into it to give me the AUX jack, down in the lower cubby, very similar to post #12 of this thread (http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13891&postcount=12). I found you can get the IP35 from Buy.com (http://www.buy.com/prod/dual-iplug-interface-cable-1-x-mini-phone-female-2-x-rca-male-dual/q/loc/111/201967336.html) for about $17 with shipping at this time.

totalfarkuser
07-11-2009, 03:59 PM
hi ted
looks great thats were a lot of people put there,s
allan if you need one just e-mail your full address and model number of your radio i.e sound5/sound20
regards
chris

I ordered a harness from them, and it arrived fast and under $40USD shipped to the USA.. It doesn't require the adapter as the other option does and it includes the patch cable (with the two male ends on it).. I mounted it (actually am mounting it right now) to the left of the slide out panel.. I made the hole a little too big, so a some superglue is going to have to secure it... pulling the dash and radio is very simple using these instructions. Thanks everyone!

Hikinginpdx
09-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Anomaly,

Using your instructions it took maybe 5 minutes to have the radio out in my '08.

The tray removal would have had me going for who knows how long.

Thanks

Now back to finding switched power for my new unit.

Keith

steve08
05-10-2010, 12:07 AM
You can just pull the pocket straight out with both hands and avoid all of the removal of the heater controls. I just did this and the pocket came out intact ready to put back in with no damage to the connectors. This requrires ONLY the removal of the 4 radio screws. Steve

steve08
05-10-2010, 12:13 AM
The Blaupunkt part works because this is a completely stand ISO plug. (ISO 10487 plug 3C)

J Rock
02-20-2012, 11:27 PM
Yes, the little box clips were a stumper until I found your post. Thanks Anomaly. I'm installing a physically smaller head unit using a Scosche trim set and a subwoofer/amp combo under the bench seat. Will post photos when I'm all done.

Best,

-Jordan

tedinkc
09-19-2012, 03:05 PM
Anomaly and everyone else.

Great information, thanks. I don't think I will attemp this right now but in the future. Just imagine how easy it would be if the just did all this at the factory, my daughters Toyota Yaris came with a jack plug in the consul.

Ted

Rosie's Rule
03-21-2013, 01:38 PM
Thanks for this post "anomaly", I was able to change out my radio. I also found this youtube video extremely helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6i2UBb4cBY

WPJ
03-21-2013, 03:37 PM
In Canada the AUX jack is standard equipment for th last number of years it is located on the right side of the cubby above the steering wheel.

Additionally in 2013 they have added another AUX 12v port right beside it.

wiartonallan
04-27-2014, 01:14 AM
Hi, I would like to add my thanks to the authors of this thread. I was able to remove the facia, pulled the cubby and slid out the radio in a couple of minutes. I bought a cable from Amazon for $5.00 (HQRP Audio cable 8-pin Blaupunkt to 3.5MM Compatible with Mercedes Benz BE4602 / Dodge Sprinter with Becker BE7077 plus HQRP Coaster), cut a hole in the top of the cubby to pass the cable and presto my iTunes are playing on the radio. Phone call audio also goes through the radio but is subject to feedback from the iPhone. Great mod made available to me by this forum. Thanks.

bhedmunds
01-22-2018, 03:38 AM
Followed the whole thread. Ordered the part for 4.95, plus 4.95 shipping, and installed it in under 20 minutes! Thank you!!