Engine check light

LEZM3

09 Dodge 3500 6cyl TB. Recurring problem that results in non-function of turbo and sluggishness, etc. MB sprinter service replaced sensor to no avail.
ANY IDEAS OR SUGGESTIONS. LIGHT HAS ILLUMINATED, GONE OUT, AND COME BACK ON. ALSO HAD ELEC STAB ALRM PREV. RELATED?

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
It could be one of several sensors, the wires that supply power to the sensors, a breech in the turbo charger intercooler hosing or some other piece of plumbing... it needs to be diagnosed by a professional (apparently not by anyone at the MB Sprinter Service place that replaced the sensor you mentioned).

-Jon

rimjaine

rimjaine
09 Dodge 3500 6cyl TB. Recurring problem that results in non-function of turbo and sluggishness, etc. MB sprinter service replaced sensor to no avail.
ANY IDEAS OR SUGGESTIONS. LIGHT HAS ILLUMINATED, GONE OUT, AND COME BACK ON. ALSO HAD ELEC STAB ALRM PREV. RELATED?
Hi,
I had a similar experience, I fooled with tightening the turbo hose clamps, it seemed to work for a few miles then it would act up again. After retightening clamp about 6 times I came to the conclusion that it was something else. I had a spare fuel filter in the Sprinter and decided to change it out, that cured the problem and it's running fine but the check engine light is still on after several hundred miles.
Later, Jim

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
<snip>
running fine but the check engine light is still on after several hundred miles.
Later, Jim
From what I've read - Dodge and MB service info - I believe it's engine shutdown/startup cycles that triggers turning off the check engine light lit up by some DTCs. The specifics depend on which DTC lit the CEL in the first place.

-Jon

I agree that it's stop/start cycles after the problem is no longer detected and not mileage. In my experience there are some DTC's which trigger the MIL (related to severe emissions problems?) which never auto reset no matter how many on-off cycles. I have no documentation to support that. FWIW. vic
From what I've read - Dodge and MB service info - I believe it's engine shutdown/startup cycles that triggers turning off the check engine light lit up by some DTCs. The specifics depend on which DTC lit the CEL in the first place.

-Jon

showkey

Also for some DTC it would NOT be just on off cycles but a full warm up from cold to auto clear a DTC if no errors are found. Some DTC would also need multiple clear full cycles to self clear. It is possiblle even on self clear DTC could be stored in history.

Depending on your driving habits readiness test might take several days or weeks to complete.

This full warm up cycle from cold is required to run the emissions readiness test. The readiness tests are the self tests the vehicle is conductinfg but only happens under very specific driving conditions.

Each specific emmisions area has it own readiness test examples EGR, misfire detection, converter efficiency, evap etc.
If your state has non running emmision test they (the state) are checking for passing readiness test in specific areas. Most states are looking of 6 or 8 readiness tests to test and pass with no DTC. This type of readiness testing was change to stop the owner from clearing DTC's and going directly to emmisions check station before the DTC resets. Readiness tests show as pass.......failed.......not run

MANY other DTC sensor related like ECT, IAT self check on every key cycle and self check continously while running. These DTC are looking for a connection to the ECU plus many are looking for a value that makes sense for the current driving conditions.

Last edited:

Top Bottom