RS/SS power cord? where beside dealer to get one?

mowog

Does anyone know where to get a replacement power cord for an RS or SS? Just thinking ahead if something ever happened to my poser cord. How about an adapter to plug a regular 30 amp cord into the Roadtrek plug on the van. Looks like a L5-30 would attach to the van. Tomorrow I'll go out and look for names/numbers on the cord and van plug, but thought someone might know.

Thanks

Robert Skillman
Ellicott City, MD
2011 RS

Trekker

Trekker
Just off the top of my head, a marine supply store such as West Marine? Aren't the RV and boat shore power cords the same? Maybe Camping World?

icarus

They are just generic 30 amp ends. You should be able to gets one,or. Make one up anywhere.

Icarus

mowog

Thanks- I've seen cords but was not sure

If the female end would fit OK. I have a pass & seymore box on the van and a conntek cord with a twist end where it attaches to the van, but no locking ring on the cord or threads on the van outlet box.

The conntek website has what looks like plug ends like I would need, http://www.conntek.com/list.asp?id=676. I am assuming that all RT RS/SS would use the same cord, but I see nothing like mine in any RV catalog or site that I can find. I have to take my RS to the dealer for some service soon, so I'll inquire there. Mine is working fine but I'm always thinking worse case and would like a backup of some sort.

Robert

TonyF

TonyF
Robert,
Both of the Conntek adapters I referenced above work fine on my '08 RS. I discarded the locking collar on the pigtail version since the female end of both adapters can be twisted, after inserting them, to lock them in place. I had considered making my own adapters from parts available at Lowes, but decided that I could not do as nice a job as the Conntek adapters.

Last edited:

mowog

Thanks Tony

You've answered my concern over the locking ring- I can just take it off.

One solution seems to be use 2 adapters- twist lock 30 to 115V male, then add 115V female to 30 amp male. I carry a spare 30 amp extension cord so this would work.

The other solution is the adapter that goes from a twist lock 30 amp to a 30 amp male. This is a few dollars more but a cleaner connection and probable less strain on the coach outlet.

Thanks, Bob

TonyF

TonyF
Robert,
Yes, your 30 amp extension will work well with the pigtail adapter. In fact, that's what I do and keep the original Roadrek cable as a spare in cases where I need a longer than the 25' run that my extension gives me. I usually stick a Surge Guard Model 34730 power protector in between the pigtail and the extension whenever I plug into a public campground's power (I've read horror stories of people getting their TVs, microwaves and air conditioners fried). See the setup on right side of the picture. Also pictured are a collection of adapters I've accumulated in the last 17 years of owning Roadtreks. These come in handy whenever I need to connect to a 15 amp line and may have to use one of my long extension cords.

Attachments

mowog

I just bought a power surge and I like your setup

Having the power surge under or near the van is less obvious than hanging from the power post. I think I read that it should be face (label) up if placed horizontal. I'll have to reread the instructions.

I'm ordering the pigtail from amazon. I have a 50A to 30A adapter and a 30A to 15A adapter, along with a 30A extension cord and a heavy 15A cord, so I'm good for most situations. I figure the more prepared you are for unexpected situations the less they will occur if ever.

Thanks for the display.

Bob

Top Bottom