06 Dodge 2500 with blown motor

etsunerm

About a month ago one of the sprinters in my fleet blew the motor. It is an 06 Dodge 2500 158" with 300k miles. One week (1000 miles) prior to the failure it started throwing "cylinder 1 misfire" code and the engine would shut down. Needless to say it layed down and wouldnt start back. Had it tore down at the garage and they found piston #1 burnt up. The mechanic said the oiler for the #1 piston was completely clogged up. The engine is at the machine shop now being machined. Im just wandering, with many of my fleet creeping up to 300K miles, should I use some type of oil treatment to keep the others from getting clogged. Any input is appreciated.

fordfool

My suggestion is, change the oil more often and/or install bypass filters to clean the oil better and longer. Also, send in oil samples for testing especially on high mile motors. This is the bypass oil filter that I would suggest. It comes complete with all necessary lines, fittings and where to mount it, http://fs2500.com/. I used one of these on my big truck, doubled the mileage between oil changes. Sampled the oil every month, change the bypass filter every month/10000 miles. Changed all oil and filters at 20000. Sold the truck with 1,200,000 plus on it. Still was not using any oil. Check it out, you may appreciate it. They make kits for both the early and late or inline engine and V6 Sprinters. I also use Amsoil, because I am a believer in it. I became a dealer in order to get a better price and to sell to others.

Rich

talkinghorse43

About a month ago one of the sprinters in my fleet blew the motor. It is an 06 Dodge 2500 158" with 300k miles. One week (1000 miles) prior to the failure it started throwing "cylinder 1 misfire" code and the engine would shut down. Needless to say it layed down and wouldnt start back. Had it tore down at the garage and they found piston #1 burnt up. The mechanic said the oiler for the #1 piston was completely clogged up. The engine is at the machine shop now being machined. Im just wandering, with many of my fleet creeping up to 300K miles, should I use some type of oil treatment to keep the others from getting clogged. Any input is appreciated.
The clog was probably accumulated soot from incomplete combustion. I add Amalgamated's TDR-S to the fuel and have noticed that my oil is now much cleaner than it was before. So, I recommend a cetane-boosting additive like TDR-S to eliminate or reduce the chance of that happening again. I also use Mobil 1 0w40 which might help keep any soot from forming clogs. However, if your engines have accumulated lots of sludge, changing to a different oil (if not already 0w40) might just cause something to break free and clog another oil jet. Probably safest to add the cetane boost and slowly reduce the amount of accumulated soot. The soot deposited in my intake manifold (from EGR) was once thick, but now, it's almost gone.

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
The misfire code was likely due to piston/cylinder damage that had already occurred and was affecting compression.

The clogged oil injection nozzle was likely obstructed by debris from external contamination.

These oil injection nozzles are used to cool the hollow piston crowns which then reduce ring groove temperatures and lower NOx production.

They are located in the main oil gallery and are exposed to full engine oil pressure. They have a spring loaded check valve that spray at a relatively low 20 psi (less than half typical gallery pressure).

Doktor A

talkinghorse43

They have a spring loaded check valve that spray at a relatively low 20 psi (less than half typical gallery pressure).
Good to know that detail. My engine normally idles at a little less than 20 psig (pressure just before the oil filter) after a good run to warm it up, so no oil sprays at idle (Mobil 1 0w40) - another good reason to avoid long idles. At a coolant temp of 180F and running down the highway at 70 indicated (2550 rpm), oil pressure is 65 psig - should be lots of spray then. Coolant temp of 200F reduces oil pressure to 55 psig under those conditions - probably still lots of spray.

360ci

Every time I do an oil change, I can't get over how heavy duty the timing chain is on these engines for such a small size! Still, I'm a firm believer in full synthetics. I run Amsoil in everything I can and due to the volume I buy it in, it made sense to become a dealer for the higher discounts. I have a few local folks who purchase from me and both my 2000 Durango R/T and 99 Ford Taurus SE sedan run on Amsoil - everywhere. It's nice only having to do an oil change once a year on those, or a few times a year on the Sprinter van instead of once a month!

Top Bottom