Sprintshift Transmission

twodogron

Is there anyone out there with experience of the 6 Speed Sprintshift.
I've searched everywhere just to find someone that I can talk to about it..:thinking:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Is there anyone out there with experience of the 6 Speed Sprintshift.
I've searched everywhere just to find someone that I can talk to about it..:thinking:
Hello UK twodogron
Yes we have one member with a fully imported six speed Sprintshift and a UK member we also have them in Australia
If you use the search key and punch in sprintshift some info will start to show, I'll be away for four days , but there are members who can help you out, , just remember the US lads only have the five speed auto's
Richard

twodogron

I've done nearly 700,000kms with Sprintshift - what did you want to know?
Thanks for replying Mean in Green,
This will take a little explaining so please bear with........
The subject is all about Warning Lights on the Dash...
I have a 316 Cdi Sprintshift MWB which is in fact a Camper Van, it's been back to Pentagon Mercedes in Poole twice so far this year with this same relatively minor problem and is again booked in for Mon 3rd Sept for it's third visit with the same fault.
The defect in question occurs at random and can happen at any time with no noticible other effects on performance.
In the Users Handbook it states that the ASR Warning light (that's the one shaped like a Road Wheel and has two arrows pointing in different rotational directions) is in fact, on the Sprintshift model, used for the Pullaway Assist system. It's this light that appears to come on at random...
If I stop the engine and re-start, the light then goes out as normal and may stay off for days or even weeks before re-appearing suddenly again whilst travelling along, this can be any time or place..........
Mercedes have so far used the computer diagnostics twice and cannot find any error.
The first visit they just wiped the fault memory log and said there was no problem, the second time they supplied and fitted a new brake light switch and said that would cure it, but it hasn't.
Now I fear they are on about renewing some Brake Anti Lock control valve, which sounds very expensive.
I fail to understand this logic as the warning light appears without touching any brakes whatsoever. I think they are getting mixed up with the ASR warning light, but as I said before, on the Sprintshift this light warns of Pullaway Assist problems.....
I was just wondering if you have ever come across this type of fault in your experience of Sprintshifts.
Mercedes in Poole don't fill me with confidence with their "try and see" approach, besides the labour rates are expensive.......
Cheers,
Ron...

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Hi Ron,

I wonder if the reason the dealer speaks of the brake control valve is because it might come into operation when Start Assist functions, which as you correctly point out comes as standard with Sprintshift?

My gut feeling is that it's an electrical sensor type problem rather than being attributable to the Sprintshift itself. (i.e. I suggest that it's coincidental that you have Sprintshift).

It's not a fault I've ever experienced in a Sprinter personally I'm afraid, although I'd be optimistic someone in here has.

These niggly little faults can be a 'feature' of the CDI, troublesome to diagnose without the hardware and experience of a good technician.

Anyone else any ideas?

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
I think they are getting mixed up with the ASR warning light, but as I said before, on the Sprintshift this light warns of Pullaway Assist problems.....
I take your point about the different meaning of the light when vehicle equipped with Sprintshift by the way.

twodogron

I take your point about the different meaning of the light when vehicle equipped with Sprintshift by the way.

Hi (wish I knew your real name) Mean in Green,
Thanks for you reply, it's great to meet someone at last who can relate to the subtle differences between the Sprintshift and Manual Models, your the first to understand about the Warning Light situation, believe me, so many don't have a clue.......
I've been a Diesel Fitter all my life (now retired) in Heavy Plant in the Construction and Mining Industries but these modern vehicles with all this integrated electronics just does my head in.......
I've lived with this minor problem for the best part of two years and it's never worried me because the vehicle doesn't suffer any consequential malfunction, simply switch it off and back on again, hey presto, all's OK again.........
However, around 2/3 months ago I thought it would be a simple visit Mercedes Benz, get it diagnosed, get it fixed so that I could sell the vehicle with piece of mind and confidence, I've always sold my vehicles as in 100% condition as is possible.
Can't imagine any potential buyer driving it off up the road having just parted with the money and then "the light comes on"......... heaven forbid.......
By the way I entirely agree with your comments, I also think its probably a sensor or just a plain old connection problem....
Just wish Mercs could find it.....................
Lets hope someone else out there has experienced it.........
Anyway I'll let you know what Merc's say on Monday morning..
All the best,

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Anyway I'll let you know what Merc's say on Monday morning..
All the best,
Evening Ron,

Please advise the outcome when known, or send pm for my phone number if of interest.

A colleague has a similarly trivial/annoying fault on his which was traced to rubbing of the loom near the battery tray (not unusual on higher mileage ones). It's a wind up - I believe I know how you feel. I've had the unenviable experience of trying to trace a vacuum leak on mine: what a pain in the proverbial (turned out to be a pipe rubbing on the chassis which created a hole, hidden from view of course).

At least you're one step closer to fixing it.

Kind regards,

Simon.

twodogron

Evening Ron,

Please advise the outcome when known, or send pm for my phone number if of interest.

A colleague has a similarly trivial/annoying fault on his which was traced to rubbing of the loom near the battery tray (not unusual on higher mileage ones). It's a wind up - I believe I know how you feel. I've had the unenviable experience of trying to trace a vacuum leak on mine: what a pain in the proverbial (turned out to be a pipe rubbing on the chassis which created a hole, hidden from view of course).

At least you're one step closer to fixing it.

Kind regards,

Simon.
Hello Simon,:thumbup:

Just thought I would conclude this thread by letting everyone who's interested know the latest outcome in this trivial yet annoying little saga.........

After my 3rd visit to Mercs yesterday 3rd Sept they found a stored error code C1408,, Pressure Sensor........

This is attached to the ABS Control Valve, after checking the adjoining wiring, the Pressure Sensor Sender Unit was replaced.
Everything now checks out as normal but then it always has done on conclusion of my previous visits.

Sorry if I sound sceptical but we shall see with time..........

However, on a positive note MB are confident this will cure my current headache..

For anyone thats interested the MB Pt No. of the Pressure Sensor Sender Unit is MA003 542 05 18..

Good Luck to all.........:bounce:

bob_mills

For anyone else looking for an answer to the ASR light coming on occasionally/frequently, on a recent trip my vehicles ASR light began coming on and kept coming on throughout the trip with the associated power reduction (I had not had the problem previously). After a while I realised it was only coming on while negotiating bends in the road and not while driving a relatively straight line, decided it could not be all that bad and stopped worrying too much. On return home I contacted local Sprinter service centre and explained the problem - first response was "have you changed any tyres lately", sure enough I had replaced the front tyres a few days prior to the trip. next response "are the new tyres the same size as the old", NO, the old were 195 and the new 205. The service tech had solved a similar problem for someone a few weeks prior, apparently the sensors are sensitive enough to detect a difference in grip between the different width tyres when negotiating bends. Makes one wonder how many of the expensive replace and try stories associated with the ASR could have been something so simple.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hi Bob your not the only one to be caught out on this ones as to another thread a fewwweeks back with a member in the UK same problem wrong size tire on the front not matching rear.
Richard

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
...Just thought I would conclude this thread by letting everyone who's interested know the latest outcome in this trivial yet annoying little saga.........
Well done for updating the thread Ron, I don't remember reading another similar one in here.

Got my fingers crossed for you that you've finally got to the bottom of it.

Simon

irsa76

Sorry to drag this thread up again, I just transfered a T1N 313 SWB with the dreaded Sprintshift into our local fleet and need to know if it's possible to reset the system "in the field" so to speak. Being a former Merceded dealer tech I know all about the potential issues with the sprintshift and will be the primary driver of the vehicle. The problem is the other drivers may require to drive the vehicle and may potentially park or turn the engine off while in gear. While at Mercedes this was a tow to dealer then mess around deal. Is this still the case or is it possible to fix the problem on the side of the road?

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Parking or killing engine in gear shouldn't be problematic: with ignition on just apply foot brake select neutral and continue. Have you witnessed many recoveries as a result of this? Mine's never been stuck in gear but the pump did fail once.

No, Sprintshift doesn't have a "user reset"

swattley

i have one in the US, i wonder if anyone knows anything about it here in the united states and hopfully the new york area. mine will not shift it seems to be stuck in N now idea where to start. it has been working great up till this point.

swattley

i have one in the US, i wonder if anyone knows anything about it here in the united states and hopfully the new york area. mine will not shift it seems to be stuck in N now idea where to start. it has been working great up till this point.

Top Bottom