06 2500 16" wheel brake change problem.

Has anyone had a problem getting the caliper to go over the pads after a front pad and rotor replacement? The pistons seem to be hanging on the rivets on the back of the pads.

Thanks, Bob

katmat

I had a similar problem w/ my 05 3500. It turns out that there are 3 different size rotors for the van. There is a slight difference in the rotor sizes.
Matt Murphy

This happened in two stages. First using original calipers which I did bottom out but the boots did no go back totally into their recess and then tore on the rivets on the back of the pads. Second with reman calipers which were also very tight over the pads. Does anyone know the spec thickness for a new pad? I guess I'll go to the dealer and measure a pad. hkpierce said in his post that the net thickness of the pad was 1/2". Mine is .558" almost 1\16" bigger.Richard my caliper has two pistons and I was able to push the pistons back flush with the caliper body.

Bob

Last edited:

sailquik

Do the rivets stick out on your old pads in the same way that they do on the new pads?
Rivets sticking out the back of a disc brake pad does not sound right to me.
Usually the rivets are bucked (spread) down in counterbores and do not stick up above
the back surface of the pad.
Roger

talkinghorse43

I had the same issue with rotors, pads and reman calipers all from Europarts. I ground down the offending (2 of 4 total) rivet heads on the first wheel since it seemed to me the pads are bonded to the backing plate and the rivets are there only to retain the "cover" applied to the back of the plates. The second set went in OK without issue.

Last edited:

Top Bottom