Wiring - diagram? - What is this plug?

Geek

Starting to get to know my 2011. It has a plastic "conduit" running down the left side of the vehicle up high. At the back I can see where it splits off to do the tail lights, 3rd break light, ground, etc.

Question:

Removing the foremost piece of conduit...

photo for location:

I found this plug:

Anyone know its purpose? Is it an electric sunroof connector by chance? Can I splice into it for the roof fans I'm going to install (i.e. where does the other end go?).
I guess my real question is does anyone know a source for the wiring color codes etc? I'd love to see a schematic of the van..

While I'm asking questions... I assume these adhesive squares on the ceiling are MB's version of sound damping.. anyone know what the actually are? Are they dynamat equivalent or should I just sound dampen right over them...?

Thanks in advance.

:cheers:
Edward

Frosty_1

Hi Edward,

It appears you and I bought our 2011's nearly at the same time(I picked mine up on last Thursday)!

That plug could be for the sunroof, but I also noticed you don't have cargo lights in your cargo bay. My van has three cargo lights spaced evenly down the roof...I'm thinking that harness may be for the lights. I'll go double check it in a sec here.

Side note, what do you plan on doing with the black styrofoam piece? Can it be removed? I'm debating how to tackle both sides of styrofoam...

Cheers,

Frosty

autostaretx

Erratic Member
What are the wire colors leading into that connector? How many wires?
Which color to which pin (if they''re not labeled 1,2,3,etc just pick and end and assign your own numbers)

Since MB tends to use the same colors for the same functions over the years, it might help identify the plug.
(could be an interior light, or the motion detector security system, or a back-up camera...)

--dick
p.s. The 2006 service manual is/was available here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sxp9rtq9mix47pu
Much of the wiring diagram will pertain to the 2011.

twistyroad

While I'm asking questions... I assume these adhesive squares on the ceiling are MB's version of sound damping.. anyone know what the actually are? Are they dynamat equivalent or should I just sound dampen right over them...?

Thanks in advance.
:cheers:
Edward
Yes, they're MB's version of Dynamat. I simply installed my sound damping over them (I used Damplifier Pro).

BillWV

Schloss auf Rädern
Yes, they're MB's version of Dynamat. I simply installed my sound damping over them (I used Damplifier Pro).
+1 on that.

Also, the MB stuff is a real PAIN to remove; I scraped my fingers bloody trying to remove a thin line to cut for a fantastic fan. Leave it and sound proof over it.

sailquik

Frosty,
To remove the 2 big black foam blocks you need to remove both the front visor/parcel shelf assemblies. they come off with about 5 or 6 Torx screws on each side.
Also remove the plastic "B" pillar trim pieces by removing the screws (also Torx) under the plastic coat hooks. The plastic covers hve a couple of retainer clips down
low and they just pop off without using any tools.
If you need help getting the seat belt adjusters back up, I've done it enough times now I think I can walk almost anyone through the process.
This frees up the headliner so you can pull down the rear where it almost contacts the black
foam blocks.
Then just push up and forward on the blocks and they will pop off the retainers.
Real easy, if you know the tricks.
If the member who was looking for the foam blocks and the "B" pillar plastic trim pieces
still needs them, I have the full set that I removed/replaced with the factory full partition and "B" pillar trim pieces.
Roger

Last edited:

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
No need to disassemble anything if you are going to trash the Styrofoam blocks. Just pull until they break or come out. I destroyed the left one but the right one above sliding door came out in one piece. Has anyone figured out what the designer was thinking when he designed those? What is their purpose or is it just Mercedes engineering trying to add cost? Now I have to worry about a premature death according to the Canadian government. I ate both of them so now I expect to die?

Frosty_1

re: Styrofoam blocks: I ended up just giving them a good yank and they popped out. Broken a few small pieces off, no biggie though. Took 15 secs per side. Call me lazy. :laughing:

Geek

I finally got a chance to go get a picture of the wire colors for the mystery connector...

The wire is on a "pig tail" a few feet long so it is definitely supposed to go somewhere...

The colors are: purple brown red purple

You can see the wires ziptied off...

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Does anyone know of an NCV3 wiring color chart anywhere?
The service manual... here's a link to a 2006 manual:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sxp9rtq9mix47pu

The colors are: purple brown red purple
Solid colors?!?
Usually the (other than brown) wires have a body color and a stripe color.
The initial easy arm-wave is that the red wire has battery power (perhaps switched by ignition or engine running)
The brown wire is definitely ground.
Which leaves the two "purples" ... i'm looking in my older service manuals for "purple"
(in the T1N, the interior lights use Red/Yellow (red with yellow stripe) as fused power, Brown/White for the "door ajar" signal, and Brown for ground).

Added: Found it... it is the interior area lights.
The "purple" are Violet with a Dark Green stripe, and Violet with a Dark Blue stripe.
2007Interiors.gif
and
2007Interior2.gif

The Violet wires are driven by the Body Control Module.

--dick

Last edited:

Top Bottom