PDA

View Full Version : No Inverters?

Intrepid
08-28-2007, 03:48 AM
Someone told me that adding an inverter to the '07 Sprinter would void the warranty.

Any truth to this?

I have an '07 with the factory second battery.

sikwan
08-28-2007, 04:45 AM
Who's that someone Intrepid? :smirk:

I can't see a reason why it would void your warranty.

jdcaples
08-28-2007, 04:52 AM
Someone told me that adding an inverter to the '07 Sprinter would void the warranty.

Any truth to this?

I have an '07 with the factory second battery.

Would you be to create a new 12v circuit, augmenting or altering the factory wiring, or just plugging in an inverter to the 12v socket formerly known as "cigarrette lighter?"

I could see how a dealership could argue the former's a problem, but the latter's laughable.

-Jon

Intrepid
08-28-2007, 11:29 PM
The someone is a well known truck up-fitter that is adding all of the shelves, storage and workbenches to my new work toy.

The inverter that I had envisioned would be of the large, powerful type (1-3KW) to allow me to run small shop tools in the field when access to AC power is limited.

I install inverters on yachts all the time and they are pretty simple devices that have an appetite for DC current, but nothing else. The crappy ones are electrically noisy, but that is not what I will be installing.

I plan to isolate the inverter as best as possible by connecting it to the auxiliary battery and installing a double pole battery switch to completely disconnect it from the vehicle when it is not in use.

I can not see why this would be a problem.

Thanks for your thoughts.

jdcaples
08-28-2007, 11:47 PM
The someone is a well known truck up-fitter that is adding all of the shelves, storage and workbenches to my new work toy.

The inverter that I had envisioned would be of the large, powerful type (1-3KW) to allow me to run small shop tools in the field when access to AC power is limited.

I install inverters on yachts all the time and they are pretty simple devices that have an appetite for DC current, but nothing else. The crappy ones are electrically noisy, but that is not what I will be installing.

I plan to isolate the inverter as best as possible by connecting it to the auxiliary battery and installing a double pole battery switch to completely disconnect it from the vehicle when it is not in use.

I can not see why this would be a problem.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I don't see why it would be a problem either.

I should state that I've never had an insurance policy or a warranty that's been honored so I consider them a formality. I have observed that manufacturers and policy writers will strangulate the entitlement promised by a warranty or insurance policy via any of the numerous loopholes found in the fine print.

I never allow cosmetics undue influence on my course. My backup plan is never the warranty (though I would try to pull the trigger on it); my backup plan is myself.

In all modifications to newish equipment, I ask myself, "Can I recover from this if the manufacturer abandons me?" If I say, "Yes," then I do it, otherwise I don't.

Having said that, I would say that you sound confident, experienced and competent. If I were you, I'd go for it.
If I needed it done, I'd ask to see some of your work (photos would do) and then I'd hire you.

That's my take...

-Jon