PDA

View Full Version : Trans problem ????

renchr56
07-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Hello everyone. I have an 04 Sprinter. I just replaced the transmission because it was definately bad. But before I did, I took it to the dealership. At first it had the electrical valve body problem. They replaced that. It lasted a week and I took it back to them. They then tried with aTCM because they said that they couldn't talk to the puter. That did not work and they said that I needed a new tranny. Well I knew that I was going to need one so I replaced it. Now when I go to take off after vehicle gets into 2nd gear going slowly and then into 3rd and 4th I have a shudder/vibration. It will be very noticable from about 20-35 or 40 MPH. Hiway speeds it is great. But when slowing down or accelerating up to 40 it is there. I was reading bout the RSN and it really doesn't appear to be that. Any suggestions??

Aqua Puttana
07-11-2011, 02:25 PM
Is it a new, rebuilt, or used transmission? It sounds like a bit like "classic shudder", but that is usually associated with older transmission fluid.

There's some info about transmission noises in this thread if you want to wade through it. Good luck. vic

Rumble Strip Noise Transmission Drive Train Shudder
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5027&highlight=rsn+shudder

renchr56
07-11-2011, 03:04 PM
It was a reman tranny. Just got off the phn with the reman guy. He said that because Mercedes didn't release the convertor clutches til just recently, that he has been putting in aftermarket clutches. He said many ppl had complained about this shudder and was told to put on about 300+ miles and it should clear up. As he said that the new clutches needed to be worn down a bit. It is a wait and see situation. The tranny came from SilverStar transmission in Ok... Guess it is a wait n see.......