Added a Fan/Mate cover to my Fantastic Fan

mowog

We've seen these boxes on other RVs, and realized they were fan covers. We like to run the fan on the thermostat when our dog is in the car, or just when some extra air is needed. Now we don't have to worry about rain when we're away from the van, or taking off leaving the vent open (along with forgetting to switch fridge to DC, latch bath door, etc)

Installed the Fan/Mate 950 over our Fantastic Fan. ( www.maxxair.com/fan-mate.html ) Took about an hour start to finish. With a step ladder you can reach everything you need to do without getting on the roof. You need to move the ladder 4 times (or use 2 ladders). Install went very smooth and it fits perfect on the roof. A little shorter than the AC, although it runs interference, as you would hit the $90 cover before the $$$ AC.

Maxxair says they don't paint very well, so I ordered Black. Thought it would go with the windows and the dark lower body/bumper trim. And I do think it looks better than the white would. I will try to get a decent picture with the box on the roof, but it isn't very noticeable. Can't notice any highway noise and am happy I did it.

Bob

mowog

I think Fantastic is worried about flow volume with some boxes

I often ran my van with the lid at 30-45 degrees to make sure nothing fell in (usually have fan on thermostat so it kicks on and off). With the Fane/Mate box I now have the fan open almost all the way. I noticed that the Fantastic Fan will not operate until the cover is opened a certain amount, which is a long way from full open. If the fan can safely run with the lid only partly open, then almost wide open in the Fan/Mate box should not cause any problems IMHO.

Maxxair says these are designed for high volume fans and doesn't recommend some of their other covers for a fantastic fan. It seems that the box can easily move as much air as the Fantastic can push.

The cover doesn't allow the fantastic fan to be fully opened, as the fantastic fan cover contacts the inside of the fan/mate box. It only seems a few degrees, and I really never opened the fantastic fan all the way in use. I don't think this is an issue but something to be aware of.

I like it. I can't tell any difference in air flow or sound of the fan. I can now leave the roof fan open and not worry about storms/rain etc. For me a very worthwhile addition.

Just checked fantastic fan site and a cover does not void the warranty. Yes, they say a cover restricts air flow, and maybe some do. With the generous vent area of this cover and the ability to have the fan always nearly full open, it works great for me. It also protects the Fantastic Fan cover. I know Fantastic will give you a free cover, but it's inconvenient if it would somehow break.

Last edited:

Top Bottom