Power Loss issue

Soda Cracker

I have a 2005 Sprinter 2500. I am having a problem with it that suddenly without warning there is a loss of power, and then if I press the accelerator down it will suddenly come to life again, and now it is even not allowing full speed on the highway (75 mph). Is there anything simple or where do I start with this? Maybe someone can direct me to a previous post on this? Or some simple to understand advice?

glas1700

Check all of the intake tract hoses from the turbocharger to the intake manifold for any splits or tears. Also, check the turbo resonator seam for leaking oil. Use the search bar to find more info on "turbo resonator".

Byron
07 Navion

Soda Cracker

I checked it over and there was an obvious hiss, especially under load on the pass side down by the rad, so I checked it out and on the end of the hose is a plastic device and it appeared to have its seam pushed apart. I am assuming this is the turbo resonator? Am I right? How hard is it to change?

glas1700

Yes, you have a blown turbo resonator. You can buy a new one from your local dealer for ~$50 or you can order an aluminum tube replacement for ~$130 from www.europarts-sd.com , but it won't have the noise reduction effect of the plastic resonator.

It's easy to change. You only need a screwdriver to remove the hose clamp and a 1/4" box wrench to remove the two Torx bolts that attach the resonator to the alternator bracket. The resonator is a slip fit in the turbocharger. Pull the hose aside, remove the bolts and pull the resonator out of the turbocharger.

I forgot to mention that the box wrench has to be a 12 pt, not 6. Of course you can always use the correct Torx wrench.

Byron
07 Navion

Last edited:

guisar

i. just did this repair and found it easiest to remove the resonator mounting nuts rather than the torx bolts.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

glas1700

The mounting nuts on my alternator bracket are welded in place, so the Torx bolts have to be removed.

Byron
07 Navion

i. just did this repair and found it easiest to remove the resonator mounting nuts rather than the torx bolts.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom