turbocharger

jaycoguy

I need help!! When I started my 2005 Sprinter and drove away, the Turbocharger is not working. It was fine yesterday. Does anyone know if there is a fuse or relay for this or do I need to replace the whole thing? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

sailquik

I agree with Waynerodd!
Do you have a Scan Gauge II or some other way to read the Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP).
Turbos usually do not simply fail all at once.
Do you have a Check Engine Light (MIL)?
Try a generic scanner at your local auto parts store if you don't have access to a Scan Gauge II/Dash DAQ, DAD, or DRB-III.
The codes that the generic scanner pulls up may not mean much when compared with DAD or DRB-III codes (Mercedes/Dodge/Freightliner Sprinter specific) but they can help you to diagnose what the issue "PROBABLY" is.
If the MAP is low (< 20 PSIA) check to see that none of your hoses have holes in them,
check the Turbo Resonator if your Sprinter has the OM-647 engine (2004-2006), and then take a look at the linkage the connects the turbocharger to the turbo actuator.
If the arm on the front of the turbo charger is not moving as you rev the engine, it could be the turbo actuator that's bad. The turbo actuator is vacuum activated on the OM-612 ('02 and '03) and electronically actuated by a solenoid on the 2004-2006 OM-647.
I have not fooled with the actuator on the OM-642 V6 yet.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Haste Maker

I think that your engine has gone into what is called the lump mode, if this is the problem the engine will not turn more than 2800 RMP's, and the engine is running at half horsepower. I had this problem with my 2006 Sprinter last week while in Co. This engine has a Turbo Resonator on the intake side of the turbo, this part has been know to crack, and this alows the turbo boost to drop, therefore your enging will go into lump mode to prevent the engine from being overfueled, if this is the problem the part is easy to replace, and only cost about $75.

Top Bottom