Rear Bumber

Anyone know how to remove the rear bumber, not the cover the metal bumber. A T/T hit me while stopped at a light, he had a hitch pin in the center on his bumber and it bent the bumber all the way to the spare tire. It also took out the floor trim along the rear door openning. Bent the door (right). It looks like the rear doors rest on the bumber, L shaped. Can not find any info on this anywhere.

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Oh, no! Every time I see a Sprinter with a gash it makes me sad, I so fear the day something happens to mine. I am still stressing over the paint scratches. Should probably take a bat to the side just to get it over with...

-Randy

coloradovan

Step bumper or non-step?

Non-step you access the 13mm bolts by removing the red reflectors. Then pull straight back.

Schematics for side bumper and removal center rear step are available on archives.Please use the blue bar.
Search
Richard
Not talking about the bumber cover, but what the cover attaches to. Yes you have to remove the cover to get to the bumber. I searched and found nothing. The spare tire holder runs through it. The trim plate attaches to it. The rear doors sit on it. It is not the side, it is not a step. It is a bumber, I'm told.

coloradovan

You must be referring to the body? That is attached by welding. If so you should leave it to a qualified body shop?...

I tried to pull my plastic cover off the bumper by going in through the reflectors as you are suppose to. The socket turned the bolt very difficultly. Eventually it froze onto the head, then it is my guess that the nut on the inside of the bumper gave away from being secured or welded in place. I can't get the socket off, nor tighten the bolt back up, nor access the back of the bumper. Any ideas?

You must be referring to the body? That is attached by welding. If so you should leave it to a qualified body shop?...
No welds that I can see. I think upon impact it broke off 4 bolts two either side of the frame. My guess, since no-one seems to know, is that the two bolts behind the reflectors and the spare tire bolts are the only thing that is holding it on. The side side of the floor plate (seal?), is still there and will be removed soon. That will give me a better view of how it is attached to the side of the body. It looks as though it pulls out under each side of the body.

rlent

No welds that I can see. I think upon impact it broke off 4 bolts two either side of the frame. My guess, since no-one seems to know, is that the two bolts behind the reflectors and the spare tire bolts are the only thing that is holding it on. The side side of the floor plate (seal?), is still there and will be removed soon. That will give me a better view of how it is attached to the side of the body. It looks as though it pulls out under each side of the body.
Eddie,

Here's the image from the parts pdf for mine (an '06 - couldn't remember what year yours is - '04 ... '05 ?) - you are correct - it just bolts on:

Attachments

Eddie, did you get hit again?
Yep, Big truck with a hitch pin mounted on his front bumber really did it in. I was stopped at a red light, he saw cars on his right starting to move, so he did too. Only thing- they were turning right on red. The hitch pin plowed into the rear metal bumber/floor pan and right door.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Dang that's why I use both a rear crash bar and a hitch extended tow tongue with an ABS bumper guard. any one who hooks my rear end gets a free tow to the nearest cop shop.
Worth it's weight in gold.:bounce:
Stack em' and rack em'
004 (Custom) copy.jpg

DSC01275 (Custom) (2) copy.jpg
Richard

Top Bottom