turbo rattle

vadim

as i was driving through the desert to orange county, the ambient temperature hit 116 and no less than 110 for about 5 or 6 hours of driving. i couldnt get the engine temperature any lower than the next mark ABOVE the 180 point. even with ac off and heater blowing full. when i arrived, i noticed a loud rattle from the engine, i popped the hood, and eventually pinpointed the rattle to the turbo using a stethoscope. i havent had time to remove it to inspect it, just wondering if this has happened to anybody else. i still have power. and once i hit 1200-1500 rpm it sounds perfectly fine from then on. any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Turbo rattle or heat shield rattle? They both reside in the same area. I'd be concerned of it was a turbo rattle, but what does it sound like?

i couldnt get the engine temperature any lower than the next mark ABOVE the 180 point.
On the T1N temperature gauge each division is 35 F so the mark you're referring to is about 215 F. I often seem to run around/at that point if towing my boat trailer when the ambient is above 80 F or so. I don't react with lowered speed to cool things off until it gets a bit above that range. So far my engine seems to take it just fine. FWIW. vic

vadim

i've checked the heat shields, they're on tight. today i checked it out again, and i NOW believe, strongly, that it is the harmonic balancer? crankshaft damper? there is an outer "wheel" on it, which is loose when i shake it with my fingers. not sure how serious this is to drive with, or how big of a job it is to change it.

vadim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHKvlPn78jI

is this bad? the sound it makes when i spin it a little bit is a slower sound of what i'm hearing when it is at idle. its a bit metalic, but slow when not running and spun by hand. when at idle it obviously moves faster and the sound is amplified. i will post another video of the vehicle running, i just need another body to depress the accelerator so i can see if this is in fact the sound i hear.

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
That is serious. Do a search for harmonic balancer.

I don't remember mine being loose on that part of the pulley.

vadim

i forgot to update this. eventually, it became so loose, i had to stop by a repair shop in new mexico. they told me three hours to fix. turned out to be two days, a hotel room, three serpentine belts, a small pully (cant remember which, it is small and has plastic grooves on it) and a HUUUUUGE headache. that shop sucked. now i've remembered to update this because... once again, my harmonic balancer has failed. it is seperated in the exact same spot once more. great.

... once again, my harmonic balancer has failed. it is separated in the exact same spot once more. great.
Not that you asked...

Have you often noticed RSN Rumble Strip Noise? Has your tranny fluid changes been kept up to date? If not have you noticed "Classic Shudder"?
"Just to help clarify the distinction-Aqua P had the classic shudder that appears under load, at freeway speeds, with "overdue for replacement" ATF.

It can be alarming and mimic other expensive failure modes.

Not to be confused with RSN which typically occurs at low load , especially "eggshell on throttle" driving style. Doktor A "

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=39868#post39868
I've wondered whether those two things are hard on the harmonic balancer?

You mentioned that you weren't too thrilled with the shop who did the repairs for you. If they didn't replace the bolt or get it torqued to proper value maybe the bolt loosened and caused a premature failure? That is a suggestion, not a diagnosis.

Thanks very much for the update. No problem in my opinion that it's late. I wish more people would let us know the results of their problems, late or not. It really helps our information base. Good luck to you. vic

lightwave

i forgot to update this. eventually, it became so loose, i had to stop by a repair shop in new mexico.

Which repair shop?, we have several here.

Top Bottom