electrical question

jmgasior

jmgasior
getting ready to install house battery on my 2008,but since i,m challanged i decided for a kiss idea.i have a inteli power 9200 in the rear and will install the battery in the engine comp and will connect the convertor to the battery directly with # 4 wire,when i have shore power the convertor will charge the battery and with no shore power will run off the house battery( only use is led lighting) when the battery gets down to 50 % or so and no shore power in sight,thought about making a # 2 jumper wire to put on the red jumping terminal to the + terminal on the house battery when i,m driving to charge the battery and when i get to the campground remove it so as n ot to draw down the engine battery,the reason for this idea is i read so many posts on isolater idea that i,m comp letly mystified on how to install it and screwing up the sprinter electronics,is this workable or am i missing something?hoping for some answers,thanks

ZIGGYK

I would not use any jumper. Too much work, danger of short it, fire!
Very easy to hook up battery combiner. West marine used to sell 200a.
I use wire ga 4 . Also instelled 100a braker as close as possible to sprinter battery.
Some people suggest to install braker also by house battery, I did not do it.

Some people suggest to install breaker also by house battery, I did not do it.
This is a question because I'm curious, not a challenge. Why didn't you fuse/breaker (otherwise protect) both ends? Each battery most likely has the potential to overload that wire in a short circuit or ground condition. If the cable is very short and not subject to damage, I understand. Otherwise, either battery is dangerous with an unprotected direct connected cable. :idunno: vic

ZIGGYK

Aqua Puttana, good point both ends have to be protected.
I had go back to my schematic and see how I did that.
The (house batteries) have 300a fuse wich was part of Prosine design.
Seem like there is no issue about overloding but is pottential short to ground. In that case 300amp fuse will blow .
I am closly monitoring amps drowing/charging, and most I see coming to the 4ga wire is 30amp when house batterias are 50% and alternator is charging.

The battery combiner connect house battery and sprinter battery only when charging from alternator or Prosine charger. I foud this very convinience to be able to charge sprinter battery from shore power/generator.

Top Bottom