How to install new horn?

psalm66

Got a new WOLO 245 horn and it's time to install it. Want it to operate separately from the factory installed horn.
I have a fuse panel under the front left driver's seat:

DSC00952.jpg

DSC00951.jpg

Powering the radio is simple conceptually except it looks like you have to remove the front seat to access back of the fuse box. Then there's the question of which open fuse slot to use. Last (?) there's the question of where to ground it. To top it off I'm a visual learner. That's the deal! Help appreciated; I'm not in a rush.

brassarl

2006 T1N 2500 Long & Tall
Got a new WOLO 245 horn and it's time to install it. Want it to operate separately from the factory installed horn.
I have a fuse panel under the front left driver's seat:

View attachment 34128

View attachment 34129

Powering the radio is simple conceptually except it looks like you have to remove the front seat to access back of the fuse box. Then there's the question of which open fuse slot to use. Last (?) there's the question of where to ground it. To top it off I'm a visual learner. That's the deal! Help appreciated; I'm not in a rush.
When I removed my fuse panel under the driver's seat, I removed the torx screws at each end and then I could turn the fuse strip over and access the rear of the fuses.:thumbup:

psalm66

I'm not finding a whole lot in forum history on installing the new horn. What I did find are these:

One of the first things I did (day two of ownership) was install two new horns from a local auto parts place. They are rated for i think 130db's each. Wolo is the brand. They definately sound loud and proud. <snip> I removed the factory plug from the factory horn and used wire taps to install my aftermarket horns. The factory plug was then taped off to prevent dirt intrusion. I also used the brown grounding wire from the factory horn plug rather than grounding the new horns to the chassis.
-Chandlerazman 10-14-2009 https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3246&page=2

Yesterday I removed the factory horn, angled the factory bracket about 10 degrees and bolted the new horn in place right next to the frame rail, couple new connectors, about 1 hour total including being anal. gary_32 10-26-2009 https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3246&page=2

What connectors did you use when you changed the horn? I would like to make the change as well but do not want to cut any of the factory wiring. Did you use any relay? rockysquirrel

After some agony time I cut off the nice factory connector. I used insulated crimp ons with a little non conductive grease and no relay. gary 32

That's about it. With the lack of response here I figured the subject had been covered extensively in the past or was too simple to warrant a write up / pictures. Maybe I'm just not doing a search right. :thinking: Lots of people say "I installed a new horn" but not many describe the process. On my old Dodge it was simple with a hot wire right off the battery terminal and another wire to ground. Fuse? Ignorance was bliss back then! :shhh:

Still not in a hurry ...

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Ray,
My horn came with a fuse already. Because of that, I just ran it straight from the + terminal off the batt. That way I can use the horn with the ignition off.
I mounted the dial box above my left knee and below that bin in the dash board.
:thumbup:

Top Bottom