PDA

View Full Version : NCV3 Alpine IVA-W205 AM, FM, XM, TV, CD, DVD, GPS Navigation & Back up camera Review

ctmcdaniel
08-22-2007, 07:38 PM
tab380 aka the Drain Doctor

It is time to write a review of your Alpine IVA-W205 AM, FM, XM, TV, CD, DVD, GPS Navigation & Back up camera.

I think I speak for all of members of Sprinter Source, passengers and llamas in reminding you of your responsibility to demonstrate this important business tool.

Thanks

Tom McD

Homemade Bob
08-22-2007, 10:58 PM
I agree, Tom. The Drain Doc's shared expertise would be of considerable importance.........especially since I'm probably going to install the same unit in my van when it arrives from Dooseldorff. I'm wondering if the Doc used an aftermarket antenna for the GPS or if he was smarter than I and ordered it on his in the first place. Pre-wired for the back-up cam from the factory?

Please be a hero and relate in great deal the experience of installing that Alpine. Thanks much, Homemade Bob

tab380
08-23-2007, 12:57 AM
OK: I shopped around for just the right head unit. I wanted a head unit radio with integrated Navigation.
My last truck had a Kenwood 1-din unit with a flip out screen and a Alpine DVD base navigation unit under the passenger seat. it needed a separate pickup eye for the remote taped to the dash and a separate speaker to hear the navigation system. I did not want that kind of setup again.
I looked at Pioneer who had 2 kinds, a 2-din unit that had a 20gig. hard drive for the navigation and music uploads for over $2000.00.
A 2-din unit that had a DVD drive for the navigation and movie DVDs and music Cd's for $1000.00, but you had to remove the navigation DVD to play Cd's or DVDs.
Kenwood had a 2-din unit that had a 2gig. hard drive just for navigation for about $1000.00 but Sound Advice did not carry Kenwood any more and they were the people that was doing the install.
Alpine had just come out with the IVA-W205 and the new Blackbird PMD-B200 Portable Navigation device that you can use as a portable or dock it inside the IVA-W205 and use it as a all in one unit. Since the Blackbird also is a mp3 player and a bluetooth
device for your cell phone. All of which I was going to pay extra for any way, It added up to be a better deal. I then added a TV tuner, a XM Satellite tuner, and the backup camera that I took from my last truck.
The backup camera comes on the screen when I shift into reverse, or it can be selected to stay on the screen while driving which comes in handy when pulling the boat.:2cents:
The TV tuner is OK if your near a big city. The XM is great. DVDs are nice when siting between jobs.
I am still waiting for the Blackbird to ship so I can't tell you about the navigation or bluetooth yet.
The Alpine can also take the new HD Radio tuner and a CD Changer.
I did not order the GMS Antenna with the truck so they installed a magnetic satellite antenna over the windshield and I suppose they will add a gps antenna on the dash when the Blackbird gets here.
I am pleased with the unit so far and will probably love it when the Blackbird is here.:thumbup:

Sound Advice sold the IVA-W205 for $799.99 and the Blackbird PMD-B200 tentatively at $749.99. The other stuff and install totaled less than $2500.00:cheers:

When the Blackbird comes in I will Review that.:professor:

PS. The only drawback is I lost the function of the Steering Wheel Controls. Even though the Alpine said it was Steering Wheel Control Ready, there is no adapter for the Sprinter in the US and I had no luck at the UK websites. So if any one finds an adapter, PLEASE LET US KNOW

PPS. Sound Advice may be called Tweeter Home Entertainment in other States and Countries.

tab380
08-23-2007, 02:10 AM
This is before I got the proper dash kit from the UK.

ctmcdaniel
08-23-2007, 02:25 AM

PS. The only drawback is I lost the function of the Steering Wheel Controls. Even though the Alpine said it was Steering Wheel Control Ready, there is no adapter for the Sprinter in the US and I had no luck at the UK websites. So if any one finds an adapter, PLEASE LET US KNOW

I put this in the Google "mercedes steering wheel radio control"

I got this back:

http://www.sjgreatdeals.com/tb-swips.html

http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/pressPeripheralDetails.asp?ID=118

Tom McD

tab380
08-23-2007, 03:59 PM
I put this in the Google "mercedes steering wheel radio control"

I got this back:

http://www.sjgreatdeals.com/tb-swips.html

http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/pressPeripheralDetails.asp?ID=118

Tom McD

I called them and they don't have one yet:thumbdown:

ctmcdaniel
08-23-2007, 06:08 PM
I called them and they don't have one yet:thumbdown:

They don't have one for sprinter?
They don't have one for IVA-W205?
Both?
Other?

How about this one:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-EK16CYBW2mU/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=127SWIJACK

Why is this in electronics? Did I post it here or did it get moved? The IVA-W205 is double Din I don't it will fit in a T1N.

Tom McD

tab380
08-24-2007, 03:14 AM
They don't have one for sprinter?
They don't have one for IVA-W205?
Both?
Other?

How about this one:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-EK16CYBW2mU/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=127SWIJACK

Why is this in electronics? Did I post it here or did it get moved? The is double Din I don't it will fit in a T1N.

Tom McD

No one has one for the 07 Sprinter in the US. Its to new. I was hoping that since has been out a full year longer in Europe, there may be one available there that some one in this forum may let us know about.

As for this being in electronics, Thats right, It was in Sprinter Talk. I don't know how to move a Title from one place to an other, I guess some one is moving stuff around were they think it should be.
I have noted that the for some reason the date of posts goes blank after a few hours. It has happend twice today.
WHATSUP:thinking:

Ethek
08-28-2007, 02:41 PM
Hey everyone. Seriously looking at a 2007 Wagon for the family. A backup camera is the big motivation for the front unit, however I am curious if this unit has any type of functionality for outputting to a rear screen system. I would like to play the DVD up front and have it display on an overhead screen in the rear.

It would be nice if the front could still display the backup camera while towing or keep navigation integrated up front.

tab380
08-28-2007, 08:51 PM
Hey everyone. Seriously looking at a 2007 Wagon for the family. A backup camera is the big motivation for the front unit, however I am curious if this unit has any type of functionality for outputting to a rear screen system. I would like to play the DVD up front and have it display on an overhead screen in the rear.

It would be nice if the front could still display the backup camera while towing or keep navigation integrated up front.

Yes; this head unit has that capablity.:professor: