Long turnover/no start problem fixed! Yey!

aleskiy

Just wanted to add to all of you struggling owners of a 03 Sprinters that won't start. Basically I've spend the whole weekend working on the fuel line and filter. Basically the the problem was that it was only turning over and not starting. It will start if you spray a little bit of pure ethanol or some sort of a starting fluid right into the intake manifold. I recently started working at new delivery job where i am required to lock the car when I leave (drug delivery.. for those of you curious ;))) But when I come back to continue i had to spray some of that fluid every time. Got VERY Annoying! So after all said and done: it turned out to be a bad clear fuel line from the filter to the mechanical pump that the Dodge, Chrysler Dealership have placed very close to the alternator or power steering belt after a recent intake manifold recall.. So basically the hole was so small the fuel wasn't really leaking significantly but it did let air in and basically not allow it to build pressure. so There you GO if any of you are struggling with this. Hope I helped anyone who had the same thing. Now i'm can just sit down and drive.

Last edited:

aleskiy

UPDATE:

Basically the problem was not fully fixed. It did not end with just a bad fuel hose. Took it to the mechanic to prime the fuel system and he did, charged me $80 and I took around town (Sac) and by the end of the day it was again not starting. So I returned it to the shop. This time the mechanic took the time to look in deeper and found out that one of the injector's was dirty and did not close + the little rubber gasket was leaking diesel all over, therefore not letting the fuel system to build fuel pressure to start. So after another $200 for a used injector and $100 for labor the sprinter started to work properly. My gas mileage went up from 19 mi per gallon to recently 24.6mpg with the use of fuel injector cleaner. :rad:

Hope none of you have to go through the same problem

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Basically no.
Since flirting with the old girl.I always used an upper cylinder lubricant from the day we first engaged, back in 2005.
Richard
DSC00352 (Custom) (2).JPG

DSC00336 (Custom).JPG
Primarily it's the fuel as first line defense, as to lubricity.
Basic Instinct.
:rolleyes:

I used starting fluid once. The engine knocked and rattled so much, I thought I killed the thing. I now use silicone spray, as ordered by my mechanic. No knocks, no death rattle.

Top Bottom