2003 Sprinter intermittent lugging until 2000 RPM then takes off

frostback

junior sprinter
Our 2003 Sprinter has a loss of power from idle to 2000 RPMs with some black smoke after which it drives fine. This has been happening intermittently for the past week. I have no nearby mechanic who works on Sprinters that I trust. Anyone have any ideas or had a similar issue?

Derek

talkinghorse43

Our 2003 Sprinter has a loss of power from idle to 2000 RPMs with some black smoke after which it drives fine. This has been happening intermittently for the past week. I have no nearby mechanic who works on Sprinters that I trust. Anyone have any ideas or had a similar issue?

Derek
Never had this issue, but my first guess would be a sticking (open) EGR valve. If so, might be able to recover by removing and cleaning.

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com

Derek
Just a shot in the dark, but could it be an injector that's stuck open? :idunno:

WAYNERODD

Our 2003 Sprinter has a loss of power from idle to 2000 RPMs with some black smoke after which it drives fine. This has been happening intermittently for the past week. I have no nearby mechanic who works on Sprinters that I trust. Anyone have any ideas or had a similar issue? Derek
Derek, Does it idle rough?

frostback

junior sprinter
Idle is slightly rough but not bad. The EGR shaft seems to move free and smooth manually. I guess removal and cleaning should be my starting point.

frostback

junior sprinter
Removed and cleaned EGR but problem persists. Also hooked up the scan gauge and there were no new codes. Anyone know how to test if the turbo servo is operating correctly?

talkinghorse43

Anyone know how to test if the turbo servo is operating correctly?
"Eric Experience" posted about that and it had to do with using a vacuum gauge to help determine if it's working correctly. Use the search tool in the blue bar above. Also, since you have the scangauge, you could look at MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure).

Last edited:

Top Bottom