Will 10W40 Be OK????

yellowmike

:idunno::idunno:I'm getting ready for my first oil change on my 2003,and when I went to buy 0W40 mobil 1 I couldn't find any anywhere in my local stores. I did find 10W40 Mobil 1 at our local wally world. I live in a rural and it looks like I will have a hard time buying the exact weight called for.... Any suggestions would be appreciated...
PS Believe it or not I did try a search here and at the Yahoo forum and couldn't come up with an answer.....:wtf:

KenB

SIKwan,
YellowMike said Mobil 1, not just MOBIL...
So he is not concerned specifically with the weight... that requirement is by temperature range, not directly affecting the MB spec, except where the temperature range does NOT match what the oil was meant for. But, yes, I checked, and this MOBIL 1 10W-40 does not meet specs... unless he is talking about MOBIL 1 Turbo Diesel Truck.

Any MOBIL 1, fully synthetic meeting CI-4+ (also CJ-4 would qualifiy, but would be listed along WITH CI-4/CI-4+) would meet the Sprinter/MB standard. You then match the temprature RANGE to the Viscosity range allowed by the nW-nn rating.

Not understanding WHY; Mobil recommends the MOBIL 1 , 0W-30 (using their locator on-line)

Wally-World certainly should have the MOBIL 1 oil that meets standards, but it is probably not available in very many viscosity (ranges) unless you have a big Wally-World with more selection than mine... The Oil my Wally-World (seems big enough) has, that MEETS MB specs, is Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck and all the correct specs are on the back as far as I can tell... It is however, 5W-40 (good for MOST climates, except VERY sub-zero).

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Turbo_Diesel_Truck_5W-40.aspx

The data sheet for the Mobil 1 Diesel Truck Oil... 5W-40 (CI-4+ RATED, and MB 228.5?):

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_Turbo_Diesel_Truck_5W-40.asp

KenB

Full quiver

2004 140" Passenger van
I can find 0W-40 Moble 1 but only for gas passenger cars not diesel trucks. A dealer told me I needed to look for the diesel truck rated 0W-40 Moble 1. I have not found this yet.:thinking:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Attached is a PDF of approved oils and their matching MB specification.

As a Sprinter owner, you might politely ask the service writer to show you the Sprinter service information on Techconnect(tm) "because you're curious."

-Jon

Attachments

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I can find 0W-40 Moble 1 but only for gas passenger cars not diesel trucks. A dealer told me I needed to look for the diesel truck rated 0W-40 Moble 1. I have not found this yet.:thinking:
:thinking: I didn't even know that there was a diesel truck rated 0W-40 Mobil 1.

Here's the supposed Auto version of the 0W-40 Mobile 1 that I'm using.

Front.
DSCF1179.JPG

Back.
DSCF1180.JPG
It meets the MB 229.5 spec.

Suba

I'm a big fan of 5w-40 Delvac 1 aka Mobil 1 T&SUV. If you live in a warmer climate, a 15w-40 may be ideal. I have a mix of Redline 15w-40 and Mobil 1 5w-40. I'm not a fan of 0w-40 oil for diesels.nn From what I understand 0w-40 shears too much when hot ~ it acts like a 30w instead of a 40w. One of the overlooked attributes of a diesel oil is the ability to cushion. Diesel combusion is much more violent than gas combustion, and it's helpful if the oil is thick enough for a cushioning effect.nn I feel 0w-40 because of shearing ( and because it's made with thinner basestocks compared to a 5w-40 or 15w-40 ) is not the best choice with a diesel......unless you live in Alaska or upper Canada where you need a 0w-40.

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I feel 0w-40 because of shearing ( and because it's made with thinner basestocks compared to a 5w-40 or 15w-40 ) is not the best choice with a diesel......unless you live in Alaska or upper Canada where you need a 0w-40.
Suba, do you have material/information or a link to backup this claim?

Suba

Do your own research and I think you will agree with me. Bitog is a good place to start. I'm passing on information from knowledgeable people. Information that I believe is accurate and factual. I won't use a 0w-40 oil in my Sprinter. I believe it shears. I believe it is not the best choice for a Sprinter ( or diesel ) I'm just trying to pass this information along.

Last edited:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
...research...
Bitog is a good place to start.
For the readers unfamiliar:

Bitog == "Bob is the oil guy," http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

I think it's the largest collection of lube geeks on the planet and arguably the most valuable free resource available to we the unwashed, the not-employed-by-an-industrial-lube-manufacturer-in-Research-and-Development, consumer-type people.

The forum associated with Bitog is:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Forum registration is required for searches, if memory serves.

RalphPWood is one of my heros, but never mind that now.

-Jon

KL2BE

The folks at Mobil (and other oil companies) do not make it easy. Many hours of internet research has lead me to the following conclusions:
Variants of "Mobil 1" have poliferated and they do not all meet european (and especially MB) standards (that seems a bit missleading since they tout approvals by Porche, BMW, MB and etc.).
As I understand it (please correct me if you disagree) '03-'06 North American 2.7 liter Sprinter Turbo-Diesels can use MB 229.3, 229.5, 228.3 or 228.5. NOT 229.1
Some Mobil 1 variants only meet MB's 229.1 spec which is NOT RECOMENDED by MB for '06 model Sprinters in North America).
If a jug of Mobil 1 does not list the numerical MB spec it meets, assume it DOES NOT meat the spec you want (it may or may not meet the MB 229.1 spec that can be used outside North America).
REPEAT: Many Mobil 1 types are NOT OK for late-model North American Sprinters.
Mobil 1 s that DO list the proper specs are "Mobil 1 European Car Formula 0W-40" (meets 229.3) and "Mobil 1 Turbo-Diesel 0W-40" (meets MB 228.5).
Fortunately our WAL-MART stocks the Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel.
Other oils that meet the proper MB specs include (but are not limited to) Chevron DELO XLD 10W-40, Mobil DELVAC 1 5W-40 and Mobil DELVAC 1 SHC 5W-40.
I suspect that AMZOIL makes a lube to meet thr proper MB spec, but double check to see that it lists one of these: 228.3, 228.5, 229.3 or 229.5.
This seems way more complicated than it sould be; I have NO confidence that the guys at the auto stores or lube shops get it right. Hence my moto; If you want it done right, do it yourself!
By the way; this does not apply to the new '07 3.0 liter Turbo Diesel that needs a differant spec because of the particulate filter.

Suba

I think the general consensus is that 0w-40 in a diesel ( Sprinter for us ) is not the best oil to use. There is evidence that 0w-40 is just too thin for a diesel irrespective of what MB specs say. In addition to the shear factor, the wear numbers tend to increase with a 0w-40 compared to a thicker oil. This means because there is less of an oil film between your moving parts you will most likely have more internal wear on your engine. Also the hydrodynamic wedge in the crank is better served with a thicker oil film on a relatively low RMP diesel engine as the Sprinter. If none of this makes sense that's ok. I've done the research for you. Unless you live in Alaska or northern Canada ( where a 0w-40 would be the great choice ~ compromises must be made ) I would stick with a 5w-40 synthetic. A 5w-40 will flow almost as well as a 0w-40, yet it is more shear stable and will better protect your engine IMHO. I go one step further. I mix 5w-40 and 15w-40. I lose a little mileage ( I still get an honest 27 mpg city ~highway driving easy ) I like a thicker oil film. I've had my used oil tested, and the results were stellar, so I know what I'm talking about. I also wouldn't wait for the assyst to tell you when to change oil. Use common sense. :cheers:

Last edited:

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
I think the general consensus is that 0w-40 in a diesel ( Sprinter for us ) is not the best oil to use. There is evidence that 0w-40 is just too thin for a diesel irrespective of what MB specs say.

I've had my used oil tested, and the results were stellar, so I know what I'm talking about.
:cheers:
"Irrespective of what MB specs say"!! Are you mad? I'm glad to hear your testing and interpretation of results supersede and negate the testing done by Mercedes Benz. Our light duty diesel engines oil requirements are much closer to spark ignition engine requirements than heavy duty diesel engines. Mobil1 0w-40 is the "right stuff". Doktor A

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
"Irrespective of what MB specs say"!! Are you mad? I'm glad to hear your testing and interpretation of results supersede and negate the testing done by Mercedes Benz. Our light duty diesel engines oil requirements are much closer to spark ignition engine requirements than heavy duty diesel engines. Mobil1 0w-40 is the "right stuff". Doktor A
Doktor A,

Is there a characteristic of the light duty diesel engine that makes 0w-40 a superior choice to the others listed in the spec sheet I posted?

Just curious,

Jon

Suba

If 0w-40 is the 'right stuff' are you infering that the other specs oils which include 5w-40 and 15w-40 are the wrong stuff ?? Many people in the trenches have voted no confidence with 0w-40 when used in a diesel. By all means continue to use the ' right stuff' if that is what you are using. For me, it is simply the 'wrong stuff

Last edited:

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Doktor A,

Is there a characteristic of the light duty diesel engine that makes 0w-40 a superior choice to the others listed in the spec sheet I posted?

Just curious,

Jon
Any of the 229.5 oils are good choices but it's a short list. Mobil1 0w-40 has been available in the USA the longest and is available in most every autoparts store as well as Dodge/Freightliner and MBenz dealers nationwide. Doktor A

KL2BE

"There is evidence that 0w-40 is just too thin for a diesel irrespective of what MB specs say."

So what is the "evidence"? I've recently read a good deal of material on the net about oil testing including how well oils stand-up against shear break-down and I've seen nothing about the unsuitibillity of Mobil 1 0W-40. Indeed, it is on a VERY short list of approved oil for Sprinters.
The Sprinter engine has one of the absolute highest power to displacement ratios ever seen on a mass-production Diesel and I expect MB engineers put a lot of thought and testing into how to avoid warranty claims on such a highly stressed motor.
I'm one who is not likely to ignore MB engineers in favor of guys who "feel better" with thick oil because...well, because it's thick.
Get a thicker approved oil if you like, but your crazy if you don't use one with the appropriate MB rating.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Suba did do his home work Mobil one is a basic oil for the Mercedes Sprinter based on the fact it's a commercial veichile
look and think very carefully about this:thinking: Mobil one 0-40 states light passenger and or sport utility and or vans and trucks, when you research it , Porsche:thinking: VW transporters Vito's:thinking: all under the one ton mark a Sprinter starts at one ton 2.5 3.5 up to seven tonne not a Ton but a Metric.Tonne
15W-40 is what should be used for the larger Sprinters I'm using BP Global 6000 Have not blown up my sprinter.
This link is worth reading
to give some of the members an insight into oils and the problems associated with them .
The first link is the most informative of all the following links, if you take the time to read it, I'm sure many will think about what your doing with oils in the future
Car Bibles : The Engine Oil Bible
ACEA (Association des Constructeurs Europeens d'Automobiles - which was the CCMC)
introduction to oil analysis
history of oil analysis
wear
contamination
oil condition
oil analysis tests
interpretation
benefits
importance of oil viscosity, flash point, density, acidity & water content
Richard
PS what annoys me is There are still no specific standards for oil filters they are still the same as they were forty years ago a ridicules 30 micron rating hells bells it's 2007 with modern diesel engines :wtf: Toilet Roll filters sounds funny I admit but at least they are rated below ten micron and that's a bonus to extend the life of the black gunk! OIL
"OILS AIN'T OILS, AND NEITHER ARE THE FILTERS" Hum! I noticed Suba spat the Dummy, well we gave him a hard time I suppose:thinking: My suggestion is! If your going to be controversial at least put some little bit of information in to back up what! your trying to get across :bow: It helps , besides it keeps the thread alive for other input
Next:popcorn:

Last edited:

Top Bottom