PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Steering Wheel Dodge Logo Removal

ELJEFE
08-19-2007, 08:54 PM
Can this be pried off w/o any dire repercussions?

elJ:thumbup:

AzteK
08-20-2007, 12:21 AM
I dont think so. Im sure you would have to do the same as what people were doing with the 2006 and down. Taking your wheel off, taking the airbag part off, then taking the emblem off off the back.

Thats my guess though.

sikwan
08-20-2007, 04:24 AM
Agree with Aztek. Not worth the risk unless you really know that you could do it (pry it off).

sprinterpartsdepot
08-21-2007, 01:44 AM
You can pry it off on the 2007 Sprinters. These are held in place just like the earlier models with metal tabs that fold back under the steering wheel. These tabs are located at all odd hour positions, in other words there is a tab at 12:00, 2:00, 4:00, etc. You need to use a small flat screwdriver or something similar and carefully pry between these tabs. Hope this makes sense.

jdcaples
08-21-2007, 02:18 AM
You can pry it off on the 2007 Sprinters.
You need to use a small flat screwdriver or something similar and carefully pry between these tabs.

Exactly how fast does an airbag deploy?

Should you wear a motocycle helmet to deflect the pry tool?

Maybe the manual has something to say about disabling the firing mechanism.

-Jon

SprintED
08-21-2007, 02:37 AM
If you saw my wife banging on the steering wheel the other day laying on the horn to warn some fool trying to back into her....you would not worry about a small screwdriver prying upwards to pop that logo off. That, and I am pretty sure the steering wheel cover is quite isolated from the actual airbag mechanism...the force of the air bag opening pops the cover open.

If some punk can bust in a side window and steal a airbag out of a parked car without it going off...then you should be fine...I pryed mine off lickety split!

That reminds me...I should probably get a set of Fiamms or equvalent horn to replace the factory meep meep roadrunner horn!

Ed

SprinterUSA1
08-21-2007, 02:47 AM
Exactly how fast does an airbag deploy?

Should you wear a motocycle helmet to deflect the pry tool?

Maybe the manual has something to say about disabling the firing mechanism.

-Jon

Jon,

airbag deploys within fractions of a second.
Air you planning on keeping your prybar on the wheel and cause a head on collision?:thinking: My Sprinter has a main power shut off right next to the gas pedal. Just in case you do want to disable the airbag. Of course this will cut power for everything.

If you saw my wife banging on the steering wheel the other day laying on the horn to warn some fool trying to back into her....you would not worry about a small screwdriver prying upwards to pop that logo off. That, and I am pretty sure the steering wheel cover is quite isolated from the actual airbag mechanism...the force of the air bag opening pops the cover open.

If some punk can bust in a side window and steal a airbag out of a parked car without it going off...then you should be fine...I pryed mine off lickety split!

Ed

Ed,

Airbags deploy when the vehicle hits something head on and triggers the sensor not by banging on the steering wheel or removing the whole wheel with airbag.

Cheers SprinterUSA1

SprintED
08-21-2007, 03:41 AM
SprinterUSA1

That is exactly my point...you would be hard pressed to cause accidental deployment by messing with the cover...

Immovable objects dont always trigger air bag deployment...as was evident in my 2002 Dodge 2500 diesel 4x4 a few years ago...got t-boned by a stolen subaru (hit square on passenger front wheel) that was going about 45 mph...truck veered off street and sheered off a wooden power pole and then hit a light standard square on the front...creased everything back to the water pump...NO AIRBAG.

I figured that the side impact was so strong it must have disabled something besides my busted hand!

Ed

SprinterUSA1
08-22-2007, 12:32 AM
SprinterUSA1

That is exactly my point...you would be hard pressed to cause accidental deployment by messing with the cover...

Immovable objects dont always trigger air bag deployment...as was evident in my 2002 Dodge 2500 diesel 4x4 a few years ago...got t-boned by a stolen subaru (hit square on passenger front wheel) that was going about 45 mph...truck veered off street and sheered off a wooden power pole and then hit a light standard square on the front...creased everything back to the water pump...NO AIRBAG.

I figured that the side impact was so strong it must have disabled something besides my busted hand!

Ed

Ed,

did your truck have sidebags? Cause if not the front airbag should not have gone of anyway. How fast were you going when you hit the light?

Legs, arms, wrist are always at danger in a collision, since you are bracing yourself.

SprintED
08-22-2007, 04:12 AM
Enrico,

I was going about 40 mph when the car hit me...the side impact forced me over armrest and down towards the center hump...my left had was at about 2 oclock on the steering wheel and the force shoved my knuckles into the column shifter which promptly forced the shifter into the dash. It was night time, & the car came off a side treat and did not stop..only saw him a spilt second before the impact...never had time to brace...likely why I only broke my hand and nothing else.

The impact shoved the front end of the truck over about 6 feet and momentum kept me going into the pole and light standard... I did not slow much from the original impact and probably hit at about 35 mph.

Not equiped with side air bags. Truck was only 9 months old at time of accident and it was written off by the insurance company.

I now have a built in weather station...if there is a change in the weather coming...my hand lets me know!

Ed

ewxlt
08-27-2007, 01:30 AM
Anyone have pics of this job? Also, anyone have a link to where they purchased the new badge?

BULBASOR
08-27-2007, 02:34 AM
I removed the Dodge badge from my wheel and replaced it with a mercedes hood badge. After you pry out the dodge badge, (can't be done without destroying the badge), you then need to take a razor blade and carfully cut the rubber ridges that were under the badge because they stick up too high for the mercedes badge to go over them. after you carfully trim those ridges to fit level with the new mercedes badge, you apply the badge. If you get in a crash, the merceded badge will probably blow off the airbag and dent your head.

sprinterusa
08-28-2007, 04:15 AM
This one is soft one.
No MBZ marks on your head.
I sell it with my Mercedes grille kits
07 and the old ones to.
Rudi

abittenbinder
08-28-2007, 05:08 AM
This one is soft one.
07 and the old ones to.
Rudi

Speaking of '07 grill kits-several people have e-mailed me regarding suppliers who are not delivering on their promised delivery date and apparently do not stock '07 grill conversion parts-ready to ship. Rudi (sprinterusa on EBay) was NOT on this complaint list. Doktor A

sikwan
08-28-2007, 06:01 AM
Rudi (sprinterusa on EBay) was NOT on this complaint list.

Agree with the above statement.

So, any idea who was on the complaint list? :bounce:

sprinterusa
08-28-2007, 07:37 AM
Hi,
Please post the complaint list.
My next 07 stocks is 200 kits.
Two year old photos on grille stocks.

I will post my new stocks on my new 07 van
170 EXT 3500 PASENGER

Gerry O
11-10-2007, 02:59 AM
Hi, does anyone have a source for the steering wheel badge? I tried the Mercedes dealer they had one 60mm wide, but I think it needs a 50mm. Anyone know the correct measurement?

SprinterUSA1
11-10-2007, 03:13 AM
Hi, does anyone have a source for the steering wheel badge? I tried the Mercedes dealer they had one 60mm wide, but I think it needs a 50mm. Anyone know the correct measurement?

Once emblem is removed the outermost dimension of the circle/indentation is 52mm. Emblem is 50mm.
I do have an emblem that will fit but it does not have a part number on it. So I cannot point you in any direction other than hook up with one of the European guys an see if they can get one from a bashed up Sprinter.

SprinterUSA1

Sprinter
11-10-2007, 03:57 AM
emblem looks fake and cheap, this is the way to do it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-W203-C240-C320-Wood-Leather-steering-wheel-AMG_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33704QQihZ020QQitem Z300169813751

Sprinter
11-10-2007, 04:03 AM
Hi,

170 EXT 3500 PASENGER

SprinterUSA, that is one awesome van! It even has curtains. Too bad such a fancy van is still missing fog lights! And why would they paint front bumper but left mirrors black?

SprinterUSA1
11-10-2007, 12:21 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-W203-C240-C320-Wood-Leather-steering-wheel-AMG_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33704QQihZ020QQitem Z300169813751

Did you spend $299 plus shipping just to get the emblem? It is a nice set but it will not work in the Sprinter.

SprinterUSA1

SprinterUSA1
11-10-2007, 12:29 PM

Did you spend $299 plus shipping just to get the emblem? It is a nice set but it will not work in the Sprinter. :cry:

Sorry for the bad picture.

SprinterUSA1

Sprinter
11-10-2007, 03:10 PM
It's not just an emblem, it's nice steering wheel with wood and leather + shifting knob.

BTW, I didn't buy it yet, I was just thinking about it, why do You think it won't work in the Sprinter? it's just a steering wheel and two screws holding it

SprinterUSA1
11-11-2007, 02:07 AM
............. it's just a steering wheel and two screws holding it

Sprinter,

you are right it is just a steering wheel but for the C not the Sprinter. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Look a little closer and you will notice the difference in shape of the airbag compared to the Sprinter.(especially the side with the buttons is shaped differently) You might be able to mount the wheel but you will not be able to reinstall the airbag!!!!!!. And they are not selling it with airbag which even if they did will probably not fit to the connection on your Sprinter.

The wheel is actually held in place by one screw only. Two screws from behind to hold the airbag. :professor:

If you buy anyway let us know if it actually worked out. :idunno:

Cheers SprinterUSA1

Xperia
11-11-2007, 06:22 PM
when the airbag depolys your head etc only contacts the airbag not the bag cover. you wont be able to get anywhere near the cover emblem let alone the steering wheel :-)~

SprinterUSA1
11-11-2007, 11:26 PM
when the airbag depolys your head etc only contacts the airbag not the bag cover. you wont be able to get anywhere near the cover emblem let alone the steering wheel :-)~

The steering wheel can be removed very easily with a 10mm Allen wrench. First remove the two screws from behind the steering wheel that hold the airbag unit then unplug it. Then you can easily remove the screw that holds the wheel.
And do not forget to take the key out of the ignition! Some say to disconnect the battery but that is not necessary.

The Emblem, well you will not be able to get to it by removing the airbag unit. But you can pry it off, grind the backer rings down and push the MB emblem into place. The MB Emblem is just friction fitted. There are no tabs that need to be bent behind the airbag cover.

SprinterUSA1

Expert Marine
11-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Done any one have a pic of what it will look like after grinding down the rings?

SprinterUSA1
11-13-2007, 01:14 AM
Done any one have a pic of what it will look like after grinding down the rings?

Not yet, but I was thinking of covering the area with leather before the Emblem goes on. I am guessing it will not look pretty just grinding it off.

SprinterUSA1

Gerry O
11-13-2007, 01:51 AM
This one is soft one.
07 and the old ones to.
Rudi

Rudi, do you sell the badge alone? I already had the grill kit on mine when I bought the van, but it did not seem to have the steering wheel badge.

sprinterusa
11-18-2007, 09:27 AM
Now i email you from Europe.
I closing a deals for more grille kits
to import and looking for the
steering wheels options.For my buyers
i will mail it for free by request.(like the T1N customers)
I will get back to Phoenix,Az. USA
after 07 December 2007.
THX:Rudi 602 446-6779

www.sprintergrille.com

Xperia
11-18-2007, 04:00 PM
good luck Rudi! bring us back some Brabus wheels as well :-)

SprinterUSA1
11-18-2007, 06:03 PM

Expert Marine,

finally got around to removing the ugly rings and installing the Mb steering wheel emblem. It looks okay but it will look better with leather.I will get to that at some point. For now I am happy not to have to look at the Rams head or the rings anymore.

The rings are easily removed with 1/4" wide chisel and then grind it smooth with a dremel.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h229/Alice_Esteves/MB%20Sprinter/WithoutEmblem.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h229/Alice_Esteves/MB%20Sprinter/DodgeEmblemremoved.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h229/Alice_Esteves/MB%20Sprinter/BackerRingsremoved.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h229/Alice_Esteves/MB%20Sprinter/MbSteeringWheelEmbleminstalled.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h229/Alice_Esteves/MB%20Sprinter/MBEmblem.jpg

Cheers SprinterUSA1

baransky76
11-20-2007, 02:06 PM
Hi. SprinterUSA1 .The question I have is where did you get this Mb emblem from.Thanks.:thinking:

SprinterUSA1
11-21-2007, 02:13 AM
Hi. SprinterUSA1 .The question I have is where did you get this Mb emblem from.Thanks.:thinking:

Hi,

and welcome on board. Looking forward to a lot of interesting posts or questions you might have.

How did I get this emblem? :smirk::smirk:
Well, my last Germany visit left some Merc driver with surprise :wtf::wtf:, since he is missing his now.:tongue::tongue:

Just kidding.
Thanks to Rennsprinter :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: who had this emblem somewhere in his garage. I think he took it off a crashed Sprinter which is probably the only way to get one, as it is not available as an individual part.

I can ask and see if he could organize more of them somehow if there is any interest.

SprinterUSA1

Altered Sprinter
11-21-2007, 04:53 AM
Which leads you back to either finding a small MB bonnet emblem for the Hole, or use those useless 1980 horn buttons from the sedan series
You can not win .
Richard

SprinterUSA1
11-21-2007, 11:42 AM
Which leads you back to either finding a small MB bonnet emblem for the Hole, or use those useless 1980 horn buttons from the sedan series
You can not win .
Richard

Well, there is one other option if it is worth to you to spent some dough on it. You can order a replacement airbag with MB emblem on the cover. Depending on what you need it will cost between 350-500Euro. You will just have to find the part number for you van and then somebody willing to order and ship it to you. Will probably set you back $700-900.

SprinterUSA1

Altered Sprinter
11-21-2007, 12:11 PM
Well, there is one other option if it is worth to you to spent some dough on it. You can order a replacement airbag with MB emblem on the cover. Depending on what you need it will cost between 350-500Euro. You will just have to find the part number for you van and then somebody willing to order and ship it to you. Will probably set you back $700-900.

SprinterUSA1
The first silly bugger that can provide a receipt to the fact he actually purchased a brand new MB air bag gets a prize from me.
'Limited Offer"
Plus a Bonus DVD copy of the "Castle"
and for the first twenty buyers who order now:clapping: We will throw in an authentic Mercedes-Benz Video CD of
Mercedes-Benz Vans
Love Your Work
Quote How much:idunno:
About (900 plus freight?}
Tell em' He's Dreaming.:smilewink:
Even the SECONDHAND ones I've seen on ebay have been asking on the German side of the Actung sites 200 Euros and some wacky air freight fee like three times more than it costs to freight, under the guise of packaging and handling fees:yell: That crazy mixed up star of star of stars is as illusive as henz teeth . Yeah I know! I'm crazy too:lol:

sikwan
11-21-2007, 04:27 PM
Now, where did I leave that receipt? :hmmm:

:smilewink:

Altered Sprinter
11-21-2007, 04:32 PM
No you don't you big cheat or I'll find the post that said how you got yours:lol: Gee what you guys will do for a freebie :shifty:
Richard

sikwan
11-21-2007, 04:44 PM
:lol:

Expert Marine
11-21-2007, 06:56 PM
Someone please find me an emblem... :bow:

SprinterUSA1
11-21-2007, 11:54 PM
Someone please find me an emblem... :bow:

I will see if I can get you one. Will need some time though.

Any other takers???????

SprinterUSA1

AHAMAYfrank
11-22-2007, 01:30 AM
The only Dodge left on my Mercedes is the steering wheel center. Sign me up. :bounce:

Frank

lespaint2
11-22-2007, 01:59 AM
Can I have one ? Please.

robsmoke
11-22-2007, 02:10 AM
Rudi, The only thing left for my Mercedes conversion is the emblem. I would like one also.
Thanks!!:drool:

SprinterUSA1
11-22-2007, 02:57 AM
Guys,

I do not want to steal Rudis aka SprinterUSA show.
If you are interested in his version of the steering wheel makeover please contact him.

I am trying to get the real Steering wheel emblem. But I am SprinterUSA1. Easily to be confused with above but not the same person!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will try and get as many of the Emblems as I can. Give me some time though for all those that are interested.
So far I have three owners in need of the emblem.

Cheers SprinterUSA1

tab380
11-22-2007, 03:23 AM
Put me on the list:bow:

SprinterUSA1
11-22-2007, 03:39 AM
Tab380, makes number 4.

I am already on the quest for more emblems.

SprinterUSA1

teamfraser
11-22-2007, 03:44 AM
yep,
i need one too

and yes once i get it all tricked out on the interior i will post pics of my straight and true new 170 ext

happy thanksgiving

teamfraser

SprinterUSA1
11-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Put me on the list:bow:

I tab380, if I can get you a steering wheel emblem, then you have to do us the favor an do a complete Merc conversion, though. Otherwise it is like cheating.......:smilewink:

I cannot promise anything but I might have found someone to actually fabricate emblems since he had many requests before and knows about the unavailability of the part.
Let's hold our fingers crossed that he will actually do so :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

SprinterUSA1

Gerry O
11-26-2007, 05:43 PM
All I'm missing is the steering wheel emblem, so if you would please definitely put me on the list:drool:

Thanks

ELJEFE
11-26-2007, 06:29 PM
I'm in!

thanks!

elJ :thumbup:

BigBlueBus
11-28-2007, 10:52 PM
Hi,

170 EXT 3500 PASENGER

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the passenger van is not available in a 170" extended, nor with dual rear wheels. You say this is your van, but the picture is obviously taken in Europe, the van pictured is probably from a brochure, and you claim to live in Arizona, USA. What's the deal???
:idunno:

teamfraser
11-28-2007, 11:08 PM
would these work?

they come in 50mmm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alloy-Wheels-Trims-Center-Cap-Badges-mercedes-universal_W0QQitemZ320188167002QQihZ011QQcategoryZ 14771QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

sikwan
11-28-2007, 11:30 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the passenger van is not available in a 170" extended, nor with dual rear wheels. You say this is your van, but the picture is obviously taken in Europe, the van pictured is probably from a brochure, and you claim to live in Arizona, USA. What's the deal???

Here are his pictures...

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2073

The pictures are real, but I don't know if they're in Phoenix. :idunno:

sikwan
11-28-2007, 11:32 PM
would these work?

they come in 50mmm

The 50mm certainly would work.

BigBlueBus
11-28-2007, 11:39 PM
50mm is just under 2"; Does anyone know where to get a badge with a blue background, like the hood badge. I think that will look better on the steering wheel center than the black and white badge.

sikwan
11-28-2007, 11:53 PM
None of the blue badges are 50mm or 2 inches. I did read about someone shaving the diameter to make it fit.

And welcome BBB! :clapping:

BigBlueBus
11-29-2007, 01:07 AM
None of the blue badges are 50mm or 2 inches. I did read about someone shaving the diameter to make it fit.

And welcome BBB! :clapping:

Thanks Sikwan,

I just bought my van about a week ago. These things are very hard to find and I did not want to wait 6 months to get exactly what I wanted. I wish I had a better stereo, I just read about the sound 20 option, instead of the standard sound 5. Does anyone know the cost for the upgraded stereo. I'm not interested in the cd changer, just the better radio head unit with bluetooth capability.

sikwan
11-29-2007, 02:44 AM
Does anyone know the cost for the upgraded stereo. I'm not interested in the cd changer, just the better radio head unit with bluetooth capability.

Aftermarket is the way to go...

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2216

It'll probably be expensive for the OEM radio that you want.

Altered Sprinter
11-29-2007, 06:38 AM
well thats a fair comment Rudie says my passenger van 170ext , the photo is a European Sprinter.
His photo of his personal Sprinter is an extended 170 CARGO van with windows notice no air-con on roof but that modified van is in Phoenix
No self respecting MB would have Crafter lights with MB logos half and half with no CDi badge on the opposite side of the the Sprinter logo.
or include a sticker on the black plastic section that just looks so odd.Its not correct sorry.
However he may be converting to a 16 seater that is available in Europe with twin rims as an aftermarket body modification.
I just hope He does it right:hmmm: Rudie if your going to sell these! then you need to...'sich Verindung setzen'.. as you seem...'falsch verbunden sein'.. before you place a 'zu verkaufen'.. on every other thread.
The passenger van has different singage on the rear, it's different to the Cargo van no CDi reference either. As for Crafter well that is a personal preference!,,,BUT between brother and sister ! 'er ist anders als sein Bruder'.
to be 'offen.. if you going.. 'jemanden tauschen'.. then sooner or latter you'll make a 'dummkopf' out of yourself.
Quote I have been with MB products for 28 years! Then Just do it right,OK.

Richard

sprinterusa
11-29-2007, 09:22 PM
Hi Richard,
If you remember the jock "Power by Mercedes" badge
and MBZ grille kit.
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1588
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1588&page=3
I call it big no no, but American people still ask me and buy it.
This is my new jock in USA.
Window sticker is my id to, I created 3 years ago
and i bin copy it to from grille dealers.
I just got my big smile :laughing::laughing::laughing:
P.S.See my feedbacks on ebay(Grille kits only)over 1200 and 100%Positive
http://feedback.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=sprinterusa&&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller&sspagename=VIP:feedback:2:us&iid=220174798090
Simply people like my product
The van is cargo with glass option 4.
The air is under need like the 03 split system (friget) authorized by DCX.
Yes the van is in Phoenix,Az.85018 USA
Look the photos below.
40 th Place and Minnezona ave.
Goggle it and you can see the Camelback mountain
I run 3 businesses.
One is Shuttle to Rocky Point Mexico from Phoenix,Az.
Al Capone place in 1927 (senior Capone)
http://www.rockypointmexico.info/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=53&Itemid=65
The infamous Alphonso Capone.

As the story goes; prohibition (1920) in the United States gave rise to bars, clubs, hotels and casinos along Mexico border towns. Capitalizing on this cross border growth, Johnny Stone (an alleged Mafiosi member and associate of Al Capone’s) who owned the Hotel Cornelia in Ajo teamed up with John Richardson, an early Rocky Point settler who together in 1928 saw the potential in Rocky Point as a resort destination and built a hotel and dug a fresh water well. Maybe even more important Johnny Stone built an airport and brought direct flights in from Phoenix and Tucson on the already established Scenic Airlines (1927). Johnny Stone, also built a casino in Old Port called the Marine Club possibly with the help of Al Capone and the palce where Al Capone used to stay when he was fleeing from justice in the U.S.

Al Capone became interested while hiding out in the Marine Club and later partnered up with another Arizona hotel & bar owner Thomas Childs in Rocky Point and they built a hotel of their own. Through the influence of Al Capone who introduced many of his friends to the area to enjoy drinking, gambling, world class fishing and the pleasant weather, more and more people were discovering this new destination. When John Stone had a falling out with the local government he left town burning the Stone Hotel and blowing up the Marine Club and boat docks and the only well with drinking water for miles around. Shortly after the destruction of the well and when prohibition ended (1933) so did Rocky Point, almost, until in 1936 General Lázaro Cárdenas, the new president of the Republic stepped out of his vehicle and saw a sad spectacle of men and women living in caves, tents or out in the open tears came to his eyes and the new president began to plan the future of Rocky Point.
www.mercedesshuttle.com
Second the Mercedes grille conversion.
www.sprintergrille.com
Third real state in Mexico(Rocky Point)
My new American (1900 colt 45 SAA ) toy.:drool::drool::drool:
I Lowe it.:drool::drool::drool:

sikwan
11-29-2007, 09:42 PM
The air is under need like the 03 split system (friget) authorized by DCX.

Rudi...any pictures of this system? :drool:

About shuttling your customers to Rocky Point...

- are they people living in Phoenix or from outside of Phoenix,
- and are they mostly tourist, real estate owners, or timeshare owners at Rocky Point?

Thanks! :thumbup:

Gerry O
01-17-2008, 03:36 AM
Hey does anyone have any updates as to the availability of the sterring wheel emblems?

I just picked up a used one off a junk car, but it is 60mm and I don't think it will fit. Maybe if it was shaved down a bit?

dmcgill
02-01-2008, 08:57 PM
I would be interested in a steering wheel emblem also. I have completely converted my 144 Pass except for the emblem also.

Edgewood
05-16-2008, 02:28 AM
Hello - Any news on the MB steering wheel emblem replacement??

sprinterpartsdepot
05-21-2008, 12:56 AM
Were still in the tooling phase. I think were still 4-6 weeks away from having a finished product. This has taken much longer than expected but the finished product will be worth it. I have a couple of rough prototypes here now, I'll take some pictures and post them tomorrow.

Altered Sprinter
05-21-2008, 10:32 AM
Good On You David:clapping:
Richard

sprinterpartsdepot
05-21-2008, 10:14 PM
As promised here are pictures of two of the steering wheel badge prototypes.

Once we have the tooling complete these will be stamped out of light gauge aluminum or tin then polished and powder coated to match color of the steering wheel pad. These are dome shaped to fit over the existing Dodge ram's head and will attach over the existing badge with epoxy eliminating the need to pry loose the existing badge and risk damage to the airbag cover.

I can already hear the negative remarks from my favorite competitor, "when the air bag deploys you will have permanent Mercedes-Benz marks on your forehead". This is simply not true. If it were Dodge, Mercedes and Freightliner would not make their badges from aluminum. Air bags are designed so that when deployed the cover and badge are thrown out of the way and away from the driver's face. Even a soft polyurethane badge would create a whelp or skin burn if directed towards the face with the same force as the airbag. Customer safety always comes first.

We had hoped to have these available by now but have been delayed getting the tooling right, we expect to have these in another 4-6 weeks. Once we have them in stock, I'll post to the forum to let you know. I am not sure of the cost yet, we are several thousand dollars in on tooling and have not nailed down all of our costs yet, but we will certainly offer these at a reduced price to all forum members.

I think you find these will be worth the wait. Let me know if you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer if I can.

Thanks,
David

Altered Sprinter
05-22-2008, 12:09 AM
Thats brillant David looking forward to your future postings:clapping:
Richard

sprinterusa
05-24-2008, 07:27 AM
New steering wheel badge.
Now for 6 mounts on my sprinter kits.
Is no metals at all.

7873 3500 170 EXTEND.

www.sprintergrille.com

THX:Rudi

Altered Sprinter
05-24-2008, 08:10 AM
I think David should be commended for taking the time and effort and monies invested into R&D from profits, to come up with a star that has closer resemblances to the original as this is what the majority of folk have clearly been asking for.
Seems like a Smart idea
Long live the Star
Richard .
www.sprinterpartsdepot.com (http://www.sprinterpartsdepot.com/)

mobileoilchange
05-24-2008, 02:12 PM
richard,
what is that ugly white car?

sprinterusa
05-24-2008, 03:29 PM
smart car
Finaly I will get my airbag cover.

*************** www.sprintergrille.com *****************

Rudi

jdcaples
05-24-2008, 04:16 PM
richard,
what is that ugly white car?

Daimler & Swatch brought that exceptionally small and fuel efficient vehicle - cosmetics aside - to the world... to the US, too http://www.smartusa.com/

Also see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_(automobile)
and
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24703978/

ciparnome
05-24-2008, 06:14 PM
New steering wheel badge.
Now for 6 mounts on my sprinter kits.
Is no metals at all.

7873 3500 170 EXTEND.

www.sprintergrille.com

THX:Rudi

Are you going to let us know how much you'll charge for that? or where/how to buy it?

Certainly, your webside doesn't say anything about it..

I don't need the whole kit; just the steering wheel badge..

Ciparnome

Altered Sprinter
05-24-2008, 06:16 PM
Mobiloilchange I'd look at US sales on the smart very smart these little rocket ships have one of the safest body cells in the world. they're so smart you can park them under truck in a hail storm:drool: In Canada they are very popular and retain high value they can't get enough of them 50 60 miles to the gallon fun to drive. sales for these worldwide have gone through the roof model shown is a first generation Smart gas engine.mitsubishi
Richard

Nhuskys
05-24-2008, 06:43 PM
I'm glad to hear they get 50-60 mpg! I saw the US EPA 2008 figures of 35/44 and was dismayed.
My 17 year old daughter wants one very much, but Dad isn't buying. When we went to pick up my Sprinter, I was going 65 mph on a section of Interstate and a Smart car went by at what must have been 90+mph. Nice urban car that can haul on the highway!
Norman

Altered Sprinter
05-24-2008, 07:03 PM
They were ahead of their times Damlier lost a fortune on it sold it off, and now they have gone through the roof.
In a sense they remind me of when Yes you had a energy crisis in the late fifty's and in came the compacts Falcon, Valiant and the famed but forgotten Pontiac tempest which ended up being the platform for the power race on compacts the Goat GTO :bow: caught Ford out hence the 64 1/2 Stang and in came my baby a model version of Pontiac you never had stateside and I still have it, along with my 65 Ford Fairmont..all parked these days...sigh Boo Ho! fuel:cry:
Richard

mobileoilchange
05-24-2008, 07:37 PM
ill pass on the "ugly" smart car. wont do me any good. cant haul anything in there but 2 people. but i do like the mini's

the smart car is built in france...yuck. reminds me of the lacar. one t-bone hit in that thing and your gonna roll like a ball.

Zach Woods
05-25-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm glad to hear they get 50-60 mpg! I saw the US EPA 2008 figures of 35/44 and was dismayed.
My 17 year old daughter wants one very much, but Dad isn't buying. When we went to pick up my Sprinter, I was going 65 mph on a section of Interstate and a Smart car went by at what must have been 90+mph. Nice urban car that can haul on the highway!
Norman

Hello Nhuskys and others -

Unfortunately, due to US regulations, the Smart in the US is not the diesel that would allow the vehicle to get superb mileage. See the following article: http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/04/20/america-likely-wont-be-getting-a-smart-diesel-soon/.

I personally would tell anyone considering a US Smart to consider any number of other fuel efficient cars (the Toyota Corolla gets better mileage if my memory serves . . .). If we were getting the diesel I would consider getting one myself!

Don't even get me started on the strangle-hold the US automotive and refinery folks have on diesels in the US!

Zach

Zach Woods
05-25-2008, 11:42 AM
Another link re: Smart being "less than Smart" in the US:

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/smart_car_models/green_smart_cars/smart_diesel_powered_car.html

Zach

Altered Sprinter
05-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Which was why I never mentioned diesel for the US version:censored:
Richard

mobileoilchange
05-25-2008, 12:23 PM
in my opinion all fuel sipping cars are ugly. with the smart car at the top of the list. but as some of you said....their are other cars getting the same or slightly better mpg and have more room.

Nhuskys
05-25-2008, 07:07 PM
in my opinion all fuel sipping cars are ugly. with the smart car at the top of the list. but as some of you said....their are other cars getting the same or slightly better mpg and have more room.

People either love or hate my wife's Prius. I like the way it looks.
Norman

AMDin93103
11-06-2010, 08:43 PM
So, to recap, there is currently one source for the steering wheel badge conversion?! sprinterpartsdepot? Sprintergrille was selling them on eBay but no longer? Thanks for the help...

I do agree with Altered that I am looking to replace my ram's head with something as close to OEM look as possible.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7874&d=1211612790

jdcaples
11-06-2010, 11:46 PM
You don't want to just buy an MB air bag and be done with it?

-Jon

AMDin93103
11-07-2010, 11:53 PM
Is that sarcasm?! Not looking to spend $$$$ for the OEM look.

jdcaples
11-08-2010, 05:36 AM
Is that sarcasm?! Not looking to spend $$$$ for the OEM look.

No, it wasn't sarcasm.

I didn't see anything in your postings, within this thread, about you wanting to do w/o considering the OEM solution.

If I offended you, I apologize.

-Jon

punter
11-08-2010, 07:52 PM
The Dodge emblems will become a collectors item in time.

The anomaly of having a Dodge emblem on a Mercedes product , will , in time, become absurd enough that people will want them.

gary 32
11-08-2010, 09:38 PM
So, to recap, there is currently one source for the steering wheel badge conversion?! sprinterpartsdepot? Sprintergrille was selling them on eBay but no longer? Thanks for the help...

I do agree with Altered that I am looking to replace my ram's head with something as close to OEM look as possible.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7874&d=1211612790

I used a mb hood badge that came with my mb kit, I reduced the diameter, painted it with with matt black plastic paint and used the factory 2 way tape, it looks like it belongs there.

Thanks Mike, 3 years ago I blacked out my entire mb kit...

Mike Horton
11-09-2010, 12:18 AM
Looks awesome!

SYCO GT
11-15-2010, 05:43 AM
How about replacing the steering wheel itself with another model from MBZ, like a C Class or E Class. But I guess, even if compatible, the air bag cost alone might be prohibitive.

Anyhow, still curious if MBZ steering wheels are model specific, or generally compatible in terms of basic mechanicals (disregarding buttons and button functions).

BBlessing
11-15-2010, 03:22 PM
in 2008 you could get a replacement airbag form gerrard mann for just under $1000. it is prolly a little less these days, but still be around $7-800.

bb

OrioN
03-15-2011, 04:17 AM
so......

Where are we currently with the availability of steering wheel replacement badges?

Kitemaui
03-15-2011, 07:05 AM
so......

Where are we currently with the availability of steering wheel replacement badges?

This company shows one on their web page. I sent an email about the product but never got a reply. Maybe they went under?

http://www.sprinterpartsdepot.com/product_info.php?cPath=3&products_id=16

OrioN
03-15-2011, 07:18 AM
Well looky looky here...

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14720

Ordering one tomorrow.

SYCO GT
03-16-2011, 05:20 AM
I used a mb hood badge that came with my mb kit, I reduced the diameter

What tool did you use to "reduce" the diameter and how did you do it, keeping it all even.

Thanks in advance. I've got an extra MB Hood Badge also. Seems like a better use for it, what you managed to do.

nblizzard
05-23-2012, 06:38 PM
I found a 2inch steering wheel badge for $10 on ebay that said it was for a C-class. I liked it because it had black around the edges. Although it was in fact 2in or 50cm, I still had to trim the edges a bit with a knife. I also cut off those rubber circles that were behind the old dodge badge. I think it looks better then anything out there except the new MB cover....I was happy that it was made for a airbag as well...didn't want the star forehead treatment in case the airbag went off.

Took me about 20min to install.

gary 32
05-23-2012, 08:01 PM
What tool did you use to "reduce" the diameter and how did you do it, keeping it all even.
Thanks in advance. I've got an extra MB Hood Badge also. Seems like a better use for it, what you managed to do.

Sorry I did not see your question earlier, I used a stationary disc sander and there was a coincidental guide line inside the Mercdeds logo that left it just the right diameter.

bg101
05-24-2012, 02:45 PM
There is ~$5 badge on eBay, blue and silver aluminum that fits perfectly. It is self adhesive with curved back, not flat one for wheel covers. I did it on two sprinters. The only modification, you need to bend a little bit more the already curved badge so there are no 1mm gaps around the edges.

bcislander
05-24-2012, 04:38 PM
There is ~$5 badge on eBay, blue and silver aluminum that fits perfectly. It is self adhesive with curved back, not flat one for wheel covers. I did it on two sprinters. The only modification, you need to bend a little bit more the already curved badge so there are no 1mm gaps around the edges.

I searched eBay, but there are a lot of similar (probably identical, but....) badges. Do you have a link to the one you bought, or, the name of the seller?

gary 32
05-24-2012, 05:05 PM
Not hard to find on ebay.
This is what I blacked out.

Mercedes Benz Front Hood Emblem Badge With 2 Pins

More than 10 available / 1 sold US $6.75
Item location: north hollywood, CA, United States

bcislander
05-24-2012, 07:08 PM
Not hard to find on ebay.
This is what I blacked out.

Mercedes Benz Front Hood Emblem Badge With 2 Pins

More than 10 available / 1 sold US $6.75
Item location: north hollywood, CA, United States

Thanks. I looked at ones similar to those, but decided that I didn't want to grind it down from 58mm. I was actually looking for the same one that bg101 had installed.

BTW, I entered the exact search phrase into eBay Search & didn't find the above listing. Plenty of others, but.... Maybe that seller only sends to USA & was filtered out of my search.

bg101
05-25-2012, 02:56 PM
link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170707434371?item=170707434371&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr#ht_1367wt_1396

video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rppN6RZG1T0

hope this helps

SYCO GT
05-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the info and video gentlemen. Very helpful!

bg101
05-26-2012, 05:21 PM
I messed up the video link and can't edit my previous post anymore, so I need to repost

video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q02HWVLfLI0

BigBlueBus
06-07-2012, 06:36 AM
No need to hack your Dodge steering wheel. Besides the blue logo just does not fit right in the whole and the Dodge airbag cover does not have the same contours as the MB airbag cover.
The steering wheel airbag cover comes apart from the base of the airbag assembly. You just need to buy an airbag cover (without the actual airbag) and simply replace the outer skin or cover. No tools needed to replace the cover, it's just held on with tabs. Here is a picture of mine which I did 4 years ago. Again, just remove the airbag, replace the cover with the correct MB replacement cover, then reinstall the airbag. Notice the airbag cover contours which match the steering wheel lines.

SYCO GT
06-08-2012, 12:31 AM
BigBlue,

Do you have a MB part number and about how much did it cost if you recall for that part?

Nice shift knob too!

My part number might be different since I don't have the steering wheel mounted controls. But just wanted to see.

Looks fantastic!

Thanks in advance.

bcislander
06-08-2012, 02:17 AM
No need to hack your Dodge steering wheel. Besides the blue logo just does not fit right in the whole and the Dodge airbag cover does not have the same contours as the MB airbag cover.
The steering wheel airbag cover comes apart from the base of the airbag assembly. You just need to buy an airbag cover (without the actual airbag) and simply replace the outer skin or cover. No tools needed to replace the cover, it's just held on with tabs. Here is a picture of mine which I did 4 years ago. Again, just remove the airbag, replace the cover with the correct MB replacement cover, then reinstall the airbag. Notice the airbag cover contours which match the steering wheel lines.

If the airbag cover were available at a reasonable cost, I would do as you suggest, BUT......

MB Canada & also MB USA (IIRC) do not sell just the airbag cover by itself. The entire assembly, airbag included is all that's available from the dealer. Many $$$$ :censored:

The last time I looked, one MB airbag cover was available on eBay that would have cost me ~$200 delivered. A little too much for me.

If you have a source for genuine airbag covers at a reasonable price, please let the Forum know. I'm sure that you will get several orders.

In the meantime, I'm waiting for a 'cheapo' stick-on badge like the one in bg101's video to arrive in the mail.

bg101
06-08-2012, 02:15 PM
We are comparing $4 job vs $90+. The airbag cover only is available on ebay UK for around $90-$110. The entire assembly with the air bag is around $280-$350.00
The blue badge is budget friendly option...

BigBlueBus
06-08-2012, 03:26 PM
I searched for a while for the correct size hood emblem to put on my Dodge airbag cover, when I found the genuine MB cover for $40 on Ebay USA w/ free shipping, so I jumped on that. I'll have to go back about 3 years in my Paypal records to try and find the seller. If I do, I'll post the details here.
I did a quick search and I just found one for 95 pounds on Ebay UK.

BigBlueBus
06-08-2012, 03:29 PM
BigBlue,

Do you have a MB part number and about how much did it cost if you recall for that part?

Nice shift knob too!

My part number might be different since I don't have the steering wheel mounted controls. But just wanted to see.

Looks fantastic!

Thanks in advance.

I modified the original shift knob and all the dash pieces myself, hydrographics.:rad:

bcislander
06-08-2012, 03:59 PM
I searched for a while for the correct size hood emblem to put on my Dodge airbag cover, when I found the genuine MB cover for $40 on Ebay USA w/ free shipping, so I jumped on that. I'll have to go back about 3 years in my Paypal records to try and find the seller. If I do, I'll post the details here.
I did a quick search and I just found one for 95 pounds on Ebay UK.

Thanks. If I could get a genuine cover for $40 or so delivered, I'd do it too.

95 pounds translates to ~$150 plus ? $$ shipping. Too rich for my blood. :smilewink:

bcislander
06-09-2012, 06:26 PM
My $4 Mercedes badge came in the mail yesterday. Better looking than the Dodge 'dead animal', IMO.

I know it's not the same as the real Mercedes steering wheel badge, but then my registration still says I own a Dodge Sprinter. :frown:

SYCO GT
06-10-2012, 04:22 AM
I know it's not the same as the real Mercedes steering wheel badge, but then my registration still says I own a Dodge Sprinter. :frown:

First time I serviced it at a Mercedes Dealership, they listed it as a "CARAVAN" :shifty:

That's since been corrected.