Vehicle mileage on instrument cluster

upnorth

Does any one know if the instrument cluster is changed out on a Sprinter is the mileage recorded in the cluster or in a computer somewhere else. I ask this question because I am looking at getting a used Sprinter and the seller says the cluster has been changed out and the miles are not correct. He said Mercedes can hook something up to it to reads the actual mileage and see if it is different than what the odometer says.

Thanks,

Bob

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Odometer values for the vehicle are stored in the CCN control unit (which is the "brain" of the instrument cluster).

I can't recall where the mileage is stored outside of the CCN, but the engine control module knows some odometer values; eg the odometer reading when the last DPF regeneration took place.

Odometer info is probably in other control units (there are 22-24 electronic control units in a US/Canadian NCV3 Sprinter - not all US/Canadian NCV3s have the hands free module for onboard cellular service; not all Sprinters have the multi-disc CD changer control module).

It doesn't sound like the cluster was replaced properly.

During the procedure, the scan tool is connected to the vehicle, the technician follows the prompts on the scan tool software interface (a computer screen).

1) connect the scan tool
2) read the info on the cabin compartment node (CCN) electronic control unit (the instrument cluster & its "brain")
3) leave the tool connected
4) remove the instrument cluster
5) install the instrument cluster
6) click "next" to populate the new instrument cluster with the old cluster's info

Last edited:

upnorth

That makes it a bit clearer. Tell me if this is possible. If someone tales an instrument cluster out of a sprinter that has lower miles and puts it into their sprinter will it now show that it has lower miles. I guess a way to roll back the odometer. That is what this guy told me happened to the sprinter I was going to purchase so now he wont sell it. There is much more to the story I just want to know if that can happen so I know to check it when I find another used one to purchase.

Thanks,
Bob

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
That makes it a bit clearer. Tell me if this is possible. If someone tales an instrument cluster out of a sprinter that has lower miles and puts it into their sprinter will it now show that it has lower miles. I guess a way to roll back the odometer.
<snip>

Thanks,
Bob
Strictly speaking, I think that's possible. I don't think odometer fraud is quite that simple. I bet the instrument cluster doesn't just list incorrect miles. I bet the thing doesn't behave "properly" at all.... maybe the fuel gauge doesn't work right. Maybe the check engine light doesn't work; maybe the ABS warning lights don't work.... maybe there are dozens of diagnostic trouble codes about implausible values being seen from the new instrument cluster, being reported by other modules....

I bet it wouldn't take long driving it to figure out the instrument cluster is malfunctioning in a big enough way to make it annoying at best; perhaps downright dangerous.

-Jon

Top Bottom