2007 front brake job

Magnum44

Ok, so I just saw the pics posted by Piper1. Very nice. Since I took the time to take pics during my brake job today (before I saw his post) I decided to share too. I have the 10 passenger van version with just over 43,000 miles. probably the worst part of the whole job was putting the wheels back on. Anyway, out of all the brake jobs I have done this was no harder than any other. First pic, the old stuff. We don't have many issues with corrosion here so getting everything apart was relatively easy. I got the rotors, pads and sensors for $215 from Europarts. No charge for shipping. Jack up the Sprinter and support with jack stands. Remove wheels. Remove Caliper bolts (21mm socket) and hang caliper with wire, bungee cord etc. Remove Torx head screw and remove rotor. I had to tap mine but they came right off.

Attachments

Magnum44

One of the things I always do when pulling wheels, rotors etc. for the first time is sand and then paint the mounting surfaces with high temp paint. I'm weird that way. Sometimes even the calipers, rotors, drums etc. but just the hub area this time. While the old pads were still in the caliper I used a set of Channel lock 460's to push the pistons back in. Detach the sensor from the main harness and remove the old pads, mine sliped right out of the retaining clips very easily. Install the new sensor on the outbaord pad and re-install pads. My caliper slides were amazingly clean and moved easily so I never removed them. Make sure you use Brake Clean to fully clean off the new rotors. They are coated with Cosmoline (or something similair) to prevent rust but it has to be removed. Install rotors with Torx head screw.

Attachments

Magnum44

I used Anti-Seize on the mounting surface before I mounted the rotor. Been using it for years with very good luck. I use it very sparingly, a little goes a long way. Install the caliper. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the torque specs for the mounting bolts. I cranked them down but would have preferred to use a torque wrench instead. Mount the wheels. It was 133ft.lbs for the alloy wheels. After putting your Sprinter back on the ground it may take a few strokes of the brake pedal to get firm again. There is a procedure for breaking in your new pads. Most people won't take the time to do it but you will have less problems with squealing, glazing etc. if you seat them properly. For me I try to do a number of low speed, easy, gradual stops. Avoid hard braking at first if you can. I can't remember how many miles this is recommended but do a search on the internet and I'm sure you will find it. Anyway, I hope this helps. I didn't go into to much detail because Piper1 already covered it but the pics I took came out good for reference.

Attachments

Top Bottom