PDA

View Full Version : WTF ... Another MB fuc%ed up again post !!!!

K-9 SPRINTER
05-07-2011, 01:01 AM
YEP........ time for another WTF MB post:bash:
STAY AWAY FROM.....MB of Massapequa , Long Island, NY (why didn't I listen :idunno:to my own advice about them in my older posts ?????)
Well, I just came home from being on the road, in the K9-sprinter, for a month and a half, (YES!!!! MY BITCH GOT 1st PLACE @ the DOBERMANN NATIONALS ) Anyhow, I just hit the 10,000 mile marker. So I call MB of Massapequa, to make an appointment for my 1st service, and get scheduled for 2 days later,first thing in the AM.
A simple oil change....any MB SPRINTER DEALER SHOULD BE ABLE TO HANDLE THAT????...... you would think, huh!
Not so simple when you use the WRONG Fu#$ing OIL
I looked @ the bill :cry: and see they used Mobil 1 5W-30 229.5 not Mobil 1 ESP 229.51:bash:
I complained and they had 3 different people check w/the sprinter tech, and parts and told me I was wrong, and that's what they have always used!!!!! (how many others w sprinters will have their DEF systems die an early death from their mistake??)
Well they had me believing I must have gotten wrong info from Altered and the crew here @ SPRINTER SOURCE, so I left, went home to double check my owners manual and here,in the forum. .......And after using the search function here, it was clear, they screwed up.The owners manual, also, clearly says 229.51 and not to use 229.5 !!!!!! Being I couldn't get anywhere with their service adviser, because their sprinter tech insisted I was wrong. I called MBUSA for help.......I told them my problem and they said they would get back to me within 24 hrs.......WOW.... MBUSA called me back in 3 minutes and said the dealer Fu&*ed up and used the wrong oil, they called the stealership and straightened them out!!!!!For now, I have a new MB 300 car as a loner, as my sprinter is now back at the shop till next week(they have to order the right oil) and they say they want to change the oil with the right oil TWICE !!!
I call them A STEALERSHIP cause they also billed me for a, service A AND for 2.5 gal of DEF fluid, I just freaken filled it ( http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15878 (http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15878) )myself 2 weeks ago,(I could see the fluid level w/my snake cam) with th 2.5 gal @ 8500 miles, the warning light came on @ 8190 (service A,says oil and filter, check/add DEF, and rotate tires )and they didn't rotate the tires,also insisting no tire rotation till 20,000 miles!!(I heard him say it was a pain to do)

Altered Sprinter
05-07-2011, 01:06 AM
Well now

You know you want to make me "Shout"
:rant:
YouTube - Johnny O'Keefe - Shout (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg8WwH9zOu0&feature=related)

Rich Niemeyer
05-07-2011, 01:40 AM
I've given up on MB and Chrysler service. I now go to a Freightliner Truck service center and they do it right. Even checked on things I didn't ask for to be sure they were correct. If you have one nearby, might want to give them a try.

OrioN
05-07-2011, 01:55 AM
Another reason or reminder why I never visit New York or talk to New Yorkers anymore.

Altered Sprinter
05-07-2011, 02:08 AM
Another reason or reminder why I never visit New York or talk to New Yorkers anymore.
Ouch!.. The naked truth,another bite out of the Apple:cry:

flman
05-07-2011, 10:11 AM

My, that is quite a boot in the arse to an entire state or city? :hmmm:

Aqua Puttana
05-07-2011, 02:43 PM
I'll have you know I represent that remark!!! :yell:

Wait, I mean... resent that remark. :cheers: vic

Altered Sprinter
05-07-2011, 02:49 PM
:hmmm: What happened to love thy neighbor.:hugs:

OrioN
05-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Oh my...

On relection...

The statement refers to the State. My first trips to the USA as a child were to Plattsburg in summers. Then as a windsurfer on Lake Champlain. Over time, and as I ventured further south towards the Big Apple, my previous sentiments were nurtured. As it stands today, the further I get to the core, the less sweet it tastes.

icarus
05-07-2011, 03:31 PM
For less than the price of the labor to do a dealer oil change you can buy a vacuum pump:
http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7400-Liter-Fluid-Evacuator/dp/B000JFJM14/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304781867&sr=8-1

And do it yourself! Changing the oil on A Sprinter is so easy you can do it all wearing a coat and tie, you don't even have to crawl under the van. If you weare Nitrile gloves you don't even have to wash your hands! You can use the pump to suck all the oil out o the filter housing, so you get the 1/2 qt that lives there as well.

I takes. But 15 minutes, and while you are waiting for the oil to suck out, take the time to do the air and cabin air filter as well. Fuel filter is a bit harder, but you can do it all at the same time.

I have done a number of tests on a number of vehicles and I get more oil out of the pan with a vacuum pump than I do pulling the drain plug. And, I don't have to risk stripping the drain plug or the pan.

Icarus

lindenengineering
05-10-2011, 04:46 AM
Well now

You know you want to make me "Shout"
:rant:
YouTube - Johnny O'Keefe - Shout (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg8WwH9zOu0&feature=related)

Richard
Greetings to you and the land "doah'n undah!
Love the Roo and the pint mate!--Hope it was Castlemaine in that glass tho"???
Could do with a few Aussie tinnies or stubbies at the moment and revisit your Roo post mate!
Cheers Dennis

Chandlerazman
05-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Just came back from a trip to NYC. Visited my mom and worked on her house. Driving around is more of a wakeup and defend yourself call. I've never remembered people driving like that when I left some 10 years ago for Phoenix. Driving 70 in a 50 and having people on my arse and then passing me while trying to take the bumper off in the process is big change to me:crazy: Try that in Phoenix and you'll end up with a slug in your eye! Guns keep everyone respectful here :smilewink:
It was a nice visit overall, but with all of our friends who remained clamoring us to move back, I simply stated "It ain't gonna happen" Life is more affordable and calmer outside of NYC. Besides, who wants to shovel snow and carry an umbrella? Love ya!

K-9 SPRINTER
11-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Well , being they are only 1 1/2 miles from me, and I only need a state inspection, I figured they COULD NOT FVCK ANYTHING UP.... surely, they could handle a state inspection ,,, WRONG, after 3 hrs, they told me they cant get their computer to link with the state :bash:

suzieque
11-09-2011, 05:55 PM
I looked @ the bill :cry: and see they used Mobil 1 5W-30 229.5 not Mobil 1 ESP 229.51
Well they had me believing I must have gotten wrong info from Altered and the crew here @ SPRINTER SOURCE, so I left, went home to double check my owners manual and here,in the forum. .......And after using the search function here, it was clear, they screwed up.The owners manual, also, clearly says 229.51 and not to use 229.5 !!!!!! Being I couldn't get anywhere with their service adviser, because their sprinter tech insisted I was wrong.

dealers will insist they have the correct oil. After my last experience (similar to yours), I don't hand over the keys until they physically show me the oil they are going to put in. I had an argument as well and made the tech switch the oil from Mopar branded product they said was "diesel compatible" to the Mobil 1 229.51 product, it took me a few extra minutes to go through all this, but worth it in my opinion. Makes me wonder how many 3.0L are driving around without the correct oil.

jmgasior
11-09-2011, 09:57 PM
going back a year ago,the freightliner dealer was usung the wrong oil and insisteed I was wrong,need a oil change and will be on the road,back to making fone calls.love my 2008 made into a camper but the mtce issues are a royal pain in the butt.I dread the day I have a major problem as I bought the dodge 5 yr warrenty.forgive my spelling.

Altered Sprinter
11-09-2011, 11:43 PM
This still on the go: Oils ain't oils...So be careful.
Lets look at a NCV Diesel engine in the correct prospective as to a certificated MB 229.51 oil whilst under warranty.

OK a novice may never know the differences! Or the dealership is not really working with the game of MB proper, and playing Russian Roulette.

MB Daimler Mercedes Benz Global: NCV 906 series applies exactingly under warranty obligations as to a certificated oil tested and approved by Benz. MB 229.51

An oil produced by a manufacture may state meeting the MB oil specification of 229.51 is not necessarily certificated as licensed to Daimler Benz, as per Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids: Overview Sheets (http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/bevo-sheets-sort1.html)
So where does an owner stand with a conflict http://sprinter-source.com/forum/images/icons/icon4.gif of who is correct:thumbup: or wrong :thumbdown:, as to a certificated approved and Daimler AG licensed oil>>>>>>:idunno:
JD has mentioned this over the last few years , there is a cost associated with being on the list of Daimler AG approved and licensed oils as the monies required for approval apply to ACEA licensing and ISO agreements for Global distribution.....[Note This warranty requirement is applicable only if the vehicle is within warranty and serviced by Benz] As Dodge is out of the equitation. Where Daimler is concerned.

What does the difference mean between an approved licensed oil by Daimler AG and an alternative manufacture that claims to meets the MB 229.51 specification.

OK it's simple enough, If a certificated and Daimler approved oil is used such as MB 229.51 where an engine fails under warranty, then the Mercedes Benz dealership is obligated to replace the engine at no cost to the customer as to a permanent history of recorded maintenance schedules performed over the warranty period.
In the event if a dealership places a non certificated 229.51 Mb oil that is not licensed as to Daimler AG testings of approval requirements.Mercedes Benz is not liable for replacements and the onus of responsibility falls back onto the dealership to settle the issue with client..OH yea what fun that can be ..Denial and conflict comes into play where mediation and resolution is required through the legal system to sort it all out.

I have fully investigated this for the Australian side of life with Benz HQ and other manufactures that claim a MB spec,

Benz says no warranty end of story. The non approved manufactures state we provide an oil that meets the MB specs for vehicle's who are out of warranty. But do warrant the oils as to limited liability.Local Australian manufactures wont go down the path of saying use our oil as to expensive litigation if something goes wrong under warranty.

Conclusion: If in doubt:thinking: provide your own oil and state to the dealership! This is the oil I would prefer you place in my engine,then you at least have peace of mind and closure as to Did they! Or Did they not..put the right oil in.

U.S regulations vary but it's an excellent guideline to to follow, think twice before you place your trust in an unknown or proven dealership as mistakes happen.
Which 229.51 oil I'm not getting into that one.:professor:
Richard

brassarl
11-10-2011, 12:25 AM
For less than the price of the labor to do a dealer oil change you can buy a vacuum pump:
http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7400-Liter-Fluid-Evacuator/dp/B000JFJM14/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304781867&sr=8-1

And do it yourself! Changing the oil on A Sprinter is so easy you can do it all wearing a coat and tie, you don't even have to crawl under the van. If you weare Nitrile gloves you don't even have to wash your hands! You can use the pump to suck all the oil out o the filter housing, so you get the 1/2 qt that lives there as well.

Icarus

My last oil change I used a 2.5 gal Fluid Extractor and it worked perfectly, one siphon and it held all of the oil from the 2006 Sprinter. The filter was easy to change, and like Icarus said it was a pretty clean job. Here is a photo of my extractor and a link where it can be purchased for $80.

http://www.princessauto.com/view-all-products-in-shop?keyword1=fluid+extractor