PDA

View Full Version : good deal?

jbthom4
05-04-2011, 11:39 PM
hey guys, im new here, but have been looking through the forum for the last few weeks. i am looking to purchase a 2004 freightliner 2500 sprinter. i have a guy willing to sell me one that has known turbo problems for 3000$. when he tried to jump the van off (it has been sitting for a year or so) he kept getting a "start Error". he told me to just make an offer on it, since he was not going to put any money into it to get it started. i offered 1500$ to get it out of his way. this vehicle has 300k+ miles. you all think this is a good deal or should i walk away?
Thanks in advance for your response!

Aqua Puttana
05-05-2011, 12:02 AM
you all think this is a good deal or should i walk away?
Thanks in advance for your response!
First let me extend you a hale and hearty welcome to the forum.

It could be a great deal or very large anchor which needs disposal.

Seriously, at those prices you can probably recover your money by parting it out if you never get it running. Selling those parts will take some effort. Getting it running and on the road may cost thousands of dollars. I would not even fool myself into thinking it will cost hundreds. For your sake I hope I'm wrong. Good luck. vic

Colorado_Al
05-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Take a look under the dust cover for the injectors first. If it looks clean, then I'd take a flyer on it for $1500. A rebuilt turbo will cost you more than $500, but I bet there is more wrong than that. Anyhow, if it will start, you can get it started without a working turbo, you just can't go anywhere.
Ideally, you want to scan the computer to see what codes come up, but you'll need a MB specific scanning system, or find someone near you who has one.
Anyhow, for $1500 you can certainly part it out and get more than your money back if you need to.
Sounds like it could be a good find even if you just sell the parts.

jbthom4
05-06-2011, 02:40 AM
Thanks for the input guys, i really appreciate it! i am still going back and forth on whether i should buy it or not. the guy countered with $1700, i have a total of $4000 to work with. the thing is, im looking to have SOMETHING on the road in a couple weeks. i have a 320mi/day route that i have to run, and i really like the attractiveness of the fuel economy on these sprinters. i know where i can get a sprinter for ~$6500 with just under 200k, supposedly nothing wrong with it. i dont know if i should drop the $1700 sprinter or stick with it and repair it. i would love to find someone who could run a diagnostic on it (anyone in the louisville area i will pay you). the louisville dodge dealer said it would take 2 weeks for them to get me in for a diagnostic?!?!?

icarus
05-06-2011, 02:47 AM
If you make your living out the the truck, and you need it reliable, I would shy away from one with a host of unknown problems. I would also have a VERY WELL QUALIFIED Sprinter guy go over any other well used one with a fine tooth comb. A few hundred dollars spend to avoid a bad deal will seem cheap down the road.

Icarus

SprinterWanted
05-06-2011, 03:05 AM
Hi,

I've been looking and researching now for about 8 months. I think you've found some pretty sweet pricing on both of the vans you mentioned. Are they cargo or passenger versions?

I'm looking at an 04 for $6500 with 380k miles.

another 04 with 125k miles for $11000

and I found one that needed an engine for 3k.

So compared to those, you've got a decent deal.

Where did you find them? What is your search strategy? Im having a hard time finding a passenger version. I may have to get cargo and then try to convert.

J

jbthom4
05-06-2011, 03:15 AM
I DO need reliable, thus my reluctance in getting the 04 Freightliner. i AM willing to sink some $$ into one if i think i can get it reliable. I plan on doing the repairs myself (i have a garage and have rebuilt and restored other autos). so im looking to drop up to $2300 on parts.

as for where i find these deals, i have been looking on craigslist for 3months or so. these prices do not come along very often i find.

MillionMileSprinter
05-06-2011, 03:24 AM
SprinterWanted-
love your pic of Yoda!

jbthom4-
I also took a risk on purchasing a non-running sprinter, but I was PROMISED that it ran fine, "just a little rough" before someone replaced a fuel pump and then it "wouldn't start".
So began my journey.
It ended up being only a fuel pump and some sensors that needed replacement, but that took me almost a month to figure out, and I had a DAD (Dr. Andy's Diagnostic), which are apparently on backorder and there's a LONG list of people waiting for them.
IF you purchase this non-running van, DO NOT expect to get it running in the next two weeks, and certainly not without a DAD. Unless, of course you would like your wallet to be raped by the Stealership, and you already have an idea of their sense of timing...
BUT, I must say that you are in the right place to get help and advice on Sprinters. I can personally attest to the fact that had it not been for the kindness and virtual help from multiple members of this very same forum, my van would not be ferrying my family around the mean streets of Philly in luxury and style.
Good luck.

jbthom4
05-06-2011, 03:41 AM
Type2teach thank you for your insight, this really helps me to place this purchase into perspective.

MillionMileSprinter
05-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Type2teach thank you for your insight, this really helps me to place this purchase into perspective.

:thumbup:
Like I said, if it hadn't of been for the help from the members on this forum, I'd have a 2 ton paperweight sitting in my driveway. Just payin' it forward...