Heated Winshield ?!?!?!

Fredtoo

The little wires are starting to bug me, and I have only put 100 miles on it.

Does anyone else have the heated windshield, and are the wires visible?
They make the window look "dirty" all the time.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I have them; ordered them from the factory.

I have 20/20 vision in the left eye and 20/15 in the right. I see the wires, but I focus through them to drive. It's not a problem for me at all and I don't notice them today. I vaguely recall noticing them when I first drove the van.

I don't even think about them any more in the context of the wires in the glass. Unfortunately, I think about - but don't look at - the wires when I turn on the heat function.

Why?

When I turn on the van, my battery tester on says 14.30 volts. When I turn on the heated windshield, it drops to 14.10/14.09 volts.

That's what must really bother me about it, because I think about the voltage drop every time I look at, or touch, that button on the center console.

-Jon

levelpebble

I have them as well and they don't bother me at all. My riders in the back (12 passenger van used for commuting) seem to notice them more. But heck, I've never sat back there.

Fredtoo

Do they seem worse at night?

To me, they seem to glare when you see the headlights of oncoming cars, traffic lights, street lights, etc.

I can "see past" them during the daylight hours, but at night time they are jumping out at me.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Do they seem worse at night?
On coming headlamps don't make the wires more visible to me; don't make it harder to "look through."

Do you wear glasses?

Maybe your optimal focal distance is the distance between the glass and your eyes?

-Jon

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
... because if you have momentary voids in your frettin' schedule and it turns out that it's really trivial or non-existant, can I rent you and off-load some of my worries?

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
... because if you have momentary voids in your frettin' schedule and it turns out that it's really trivial or non-existant, can I rent you and off-load some of my worries?
That would cost you trivializing dollars x $$$ for virtual direct online information.:rolleyes:

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
...speaking of trivializing... who's bright idea was it to swap out the "Roll-eyes" :rolleyes: emoticon for this current version... which has the stupidest look/expression on his face and reminds of how my 11 year old dog now looks and grins like after he was recently neutered... :idunno:

I'm going to sleep, oh... and try to get used to the lines on the windshield. I don't have it and wish I did the first time I tried driving in a blizzard and could not get the snow to not freeze up on the glass!

Last edited:

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
...speaking of trivializing... who's bright idea was it to swap out the "Roll-eyes" :rolleyes: emoticon for this current version... which has the stupidest look/expression on his face and reminds of how my 11 year old dog now looks and grins like after he was recently neutered... :idunno:
You neutered the poor boy :cry:

Fredtoo

I'm going to sleep, oh... and try to get used to the lines on the windshield. I don't have it and wish I did the first time I tried driving in a blizzard and could not get the snow to not freeze up on the glass!
Thanks for this response,

I was wondering if the stock defroster was not up to the job of defrosting the enormous windscreen on this truck.
Taking delivery in April/May time frame means I will not be able to give it a real test until next winter.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Thanks for this response,

I was wondering if the stock defroster was not up to the job of defrosting the enormous windscreen on this truck.
Taking delivery in April/May time frame means I will not be able to give it a real test until next winter.
During my first blizzard experience this past fall, as soon as the snows started I was on I5. It didn't take more than a mile or so for the snows to start sticking and the stock 'summer' blades caked up very fast too with ice and snow. Driving with the rest and at less that 30mph, I started to panic a little, but turned on the defrost booster heater and put all on high, but it was not enough the clear what had accumulated... I pulled off at the first exit, filled up some fuel and cleared the window. Since, I have a sliding door bulkhead I closed it and cranked the heaters up and got the cabin disgustingly hot, then and only then was I able slow down the rate of accumulation, but eventually it got out of hand again. Perhaps winter wipers would have helped as the summer just could not clear the slightest sleet when moving and a blizzard winds. I am not happy.

Last edited:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Since it's been said, what exactly bugs you Jon about the voltage drop?

:shifty:

It's not really applicable to anything sane: someone, I think piper1, posted about a .2 voltage drop from the alternator to the battery is an indication of too much resistance in the battery/starter/alternator cabling.

That's not what's happening here, but the headlamps don't consume that much juice, and when I see a voltage drop under any condition my anxiety level experiences a slight & momentary elevation. When ever I hit that button, I know that if there's a battery tester connected to it, it'll see a drop in voltage.

That's all.

-Jon

sheaa

Does anybody know if the heating element is sandwiched between the glass, or is it on the inside surface? Would be good to know before I start cleaning the inside glass.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I can't answer the question with certainty that the wires are sandwiched between two layers of glass. I don't know how the heated windshield material is manufactured.

I can tell you that I've scrubbed - using a fair amount of muscle - the inside and outside of the windshield and I've never broken, damaged or otherwise impaired the functionality of the heated windshield; nor have I broken any wires.

-Jon

Top Bottom