3500 Jounce Bumper Replacement

glas1700

I removed the frame mounted rear axle jounce bumpers a couple of years ago on my 06 3500 and installed Firestone air bags. After trying to check the axle u-bolt nuts today and running into clearance issues with the airbag mounting brackets, I decided to remove them and reinstall the OEM jounce bumpers. That's when the fun began.

Obviously, the bumper will slide into the slot at one end of the bracket, but if the other end is pried with a bar or screwdriver it simply bends the rubber tab out instead of in where it has to be to fit the slot. I've tried just about everything, including placing blocks between the axle and bumper to help keep it in place. Clamping it first didn't work because it caused the flat section that contacts the frame to bow out. These things are tough, stiff rubber and I'm guessing that they're installed at the factory using a special tool.

I'm hoping that someone has done this and can supply some tips that will make them fit without me having to lose any more skin.

BTW, U-bolt nuts were under 80 lbs ft at 42K miles, so I'm glad that I checked them.

Byron

Last edited:

calbiker

Yep, they're a bear to install. I've been experimenting with various bumpers and found the only way to reinstall the stock bumper is to remove some material. A hack saw works well.

Once installed, you may want to fill in the gap with some material so the bumper has no chance of falling out.

Cal

Attachments

Top Bottom