T1N camber shims

glasseye

Frito consistently wears out the outside driver's side front tire. In about 10K miles, it becomes apparent. In about 15K miles, I can hear it.

I keep rotating the tires, but I'd rather solve the problem directly. No other abnormal tire wear is apparent.

Anybody shimmed the front end to adjust camber?
Can you do it on one side only?
If you do, will it effect steering?

Peter

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
My 2002, 165K mile Cargo Sprinter has amazingly even wear on all the tires. I don't see anything like you are seeing. You may have some front suspension issues. Has this been aligned at any time?

My 92 Jeep Cherokee used have a similar problem and after replacing the tie rods, front wheel bearings and ball joints (took me 12 hours to do all at once), the tires wear evenly. On the Jeep there was a lot of slop in the tie rods (it had 230,000 miles on it when I did the service).

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Frito consistently wears out the outside driver's side front tire. In about 10K miles, it becomes apparent. In about 15K miles, I can hear it.

I keep rotating the tires, but I'd rather solve the problem directly. No other abnormal tire wear is apparent.

Anybody shimmed the front end to adjust camber?
Can you do it on one side only?
If you do, will it effect steering?

Peter
Have an alignment tech check your alignment. If you have excessive positive camber on that drivers side wheel you can obtain inexpensive, Sprinter specific shim kits in 0.5 degree and 1.0 degree from various sources (Advance auto parts).

If only one side has abnormal camber then the shim remedy, followed by a wheel alignment (to adjust toe-in which will change with camber), should improve steering as well.

Doktor A

glasseye

Thanks, guys. As soon as I noticed this (at vehicle mileage approx 15K), I had an alignment check done. They said it was perfect. Since the vehicle was virtually new, that's what I'd expect.

Now, at 40K miles, I'm soon due for a second rotation. I can see it starting to wear. Steering is excellent as is, even with the wear.

Since there's nobody near me that I'd trust to do this, it looks like a trip to Portland is in the cards. My main question was whether or not you can shim on just one side.

Again, thanks!

Peter

Top Bottom