New Sprinter toy!

geoffs

2003 T1N 316CDI LWB
After completing a 1300km trip over the last couple of days, I really missed a trip computer so I could see fuel consumption, average speed, etc.
To fix this, I've just bought a ScanGauge II

Not sure how well this will work on the Oz version of my 2004 316CDI. I'm sure Richard will figure it out. :smilewink:

Attachments

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Can't help Geoff wait till the lads on the US side chime in.
My question is will it work for yours as to Hp, rpm, etc, all different to your model?UG_Loop.gif
Richard.

geoffs

2003 T1N 316CDI LWB
As far as I can tell, there's nothing model specific about the device i.e. it just reads the OBD-II info.
You set things such as litres/gallons Celsius/Fahrenheit, etc and the engine capacity but nothing make/model specific.
Setting/resetting codes would require some more in depth knowledge.

I'll go plug it in later and see what happens.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Geoff do a search on the blue bar for scangauge plenty there . The lads know them well, so they will help you out.
Richard

geoffs

2003 T1N 316CDI LWB
Does anyone use a Scanguage on a 2004 316CDI? Not NAFTA version.

I've gone looking for the OBD plug but the only plug I can find on the passengers side, near the bonnet release is a round one, not that same as supplied with the Scangauge II

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Geoff you need an adapter for your ecu
I think Peterinsea South Australia maybe has one:thinking: I'm being honest no one down here seems to be overly happy with these units whereas with euro proper engines, are conflicting with a NAFTA configuration, In saying this it's purely hearsay through chit-chat channels on other forums in OZ.

Richard

geoffs

2003 T1N 316CDI LWB
Adaptors (14 Pin to 16 Pin) available for around $15. I just have to find a place that will let me buy less than 5 :frown:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Good one.If you bought it in the states he,he They would give you 6 cents discount off every dollar and half price airfreight. no tax either:smirk:
Richard

geoffs

2003 T1N 316CDI LWB
Good one.If you bought it in the states he,he They would give you 6 cents discount off every dollar and half price airfreight. no tax either:smirk:
Richard
Total of $US15.70, free shipping. (plus any nasty little fees that Paypal or the banks impose :shifty: )

geoffs

2003 T1N 316CDI LWB
Just got an email message from the vendor,item is out of stock so they refunded my money.
I've found another one for sale so I'll give that a try - it's cheaper too.

Update: Can someone confirm that the Scangauge II will actually work with a 2004 316CDI? I know Richard has expressed concerns about the codes generated from a non NAFTA vehicle but I'm only interested in the standar (non MB) codes for now.

Last edited:

KL2BE

Just got an email message from the vendor,item is out of stock so they refunded my money.
I've found another one for sale so I'll give that a try - it's cheaper too.

Update: Can someone confirm that the Scangauge II will actually work with a 2004 316CDI? I know Richard has expressed concerns about the codes generated from a non NAFTA vehicle but I'm only interested in the standar (non MB) codes for now.
I cant "confirm" since I've never seen a 316CDI, however, it is my understanding that the Scan Gauge II is generic and reads the data port of any modern vehicle; assuming you can adapt it to the right data port on your vehicle.

I have moved mine between my Sprinter (NAFTA 06), Mazda roadster and somewhat ancient Trooper. Works in all.

I'd try contacting Linear Logic, the maker of Scan Gauge http://www.scangauge.com/contactus.shtml

geoffs

2003 T1N 316CDI LWB
Scangauge do have a list of vehicle in which the scan tool is know to work, mine (of course!) is not listed.
I'm sure that the device can read the particular protocol that the Sprinter uses but I might have to play around with pin connections.
Might have to make up a breakout box - assuming that someone can supply the correct cable/connector.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
What you want is called the "14 pin Mercedes Benz Truck Diagnostic Link Cable"
Here's a description.
The requirement for *all* pins to be present is for full DRB-III-like diagnostics.
I believe the ScanGauge can get by with far fewer (5 or 6).

ObdConnectors.gif

--dick (if i can find a pin-out, i'll post it)

added: Here is one from that eBay vendor (note it's from China, so i have no idea if it does all pins)
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mercedes-Spr...iagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3f06f0d23e

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Just been advised that my cable has shipped. I'll know if it's OK in 8 to 10 days.
If the item is precisely the one in the photo, it only has 5 wires implemented.
Squint at the 16 holes in the rectangular plug, and you'll see only five have gold pins glinting in the light.

But that should do it for the ScanGauge.

--dick

geoffs

2003 T1N 316CDI LWB
The 14 pin to OBD adaptor cable arrived today (well actually yesterday but I was out shopping ).
I've plugged the Scangauge II in and it works!

It shows the Connecting message for about 15 - 20 seconds and then the main menu. A quick visit to the setup menu and it's all primed for local conditions (litres/Celsius/kms/fuel type, etc). All I've done so far is to start the engine bu at least the correct RPM is shown plus the temperature is correct.

I'll read the manual and take it for a drive later to see what else works.

Top Bottom