Electronics in the steering column fuse panel

mackconsult

I am stumped on my van. I have power coming to the fuse panel on the large red gage wire. I am trying to get power to go to my engine CPU "F" connector pins 1,3, & 5. I currently don't have power on those three pins going to my engine CPU, hence the reason my van is not running.

The attached image is from an 03 service manual. It has been modified to represent the 05 service manaul. I have verified continuity between pings 1,3, & 5 on C1 of the engine CPU connector to the pin 2 of C5 and pin 4 of C4 connectors that go into the back of the fuse panel assembly. There is also continuity between fuse 16 and 17 to C1.

With a key on I don't have any 12V at fuse 16, 17 nor can I find 12 Volts at 30 and 86 of the relay :thinking:

I am wondering if the electronics in this fuse panel sits between BATT and 30/86 of the relay.

Thinking of driving to Mchord's and have them pull the part and put a multimeter on it to see if there should be continuity between BATT and 30/86 of the relay .......

Getting there ......

Attachments

mendonsy

Based on what you have diagnosed, I would suspect it is one of these:
1) Bad connection to the engine control relay.
2) Bad engine control relay.
3) The engine control relay is not turning on.
You might try replacing fuse #6 just to see if it makes any difference. That powers the engine start control module.

mackconsult

This is getting ridiculous.

After dinking around with that fuse panel for a couple of hours I all the sudden got voltage at fuse 16 & 17 and at the relay :idunno:

I put it all back together again and now I don't have voltage. There are sockets at the top of the fuse panel that electrical plug into the column and I am wondering if that has something to do with it.

Off to Mchord's to spend $125 on a part that I don't even know if it will get my bus running. :crazy:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Ray,

Fatigue is a real and costly risk.

You're an engineer. You know this.

I know there's pressure, but progress while fatigued is usually more accident or habit than skill.

-Jon

Last edited:

mendonsy

This is getting ridiculous.

After dinking around with that fuse panel for a couple of hours I all the sudden got voltage at fuse 16 & 17 and at the relay :idunno:

I put it all back together again and now I don't have voltage. There are sockets at the top of the fuse panel that electrical plug into the column and I am wondering if that has something to do with it.

Off to Mchord's to spend $125 on a part that I don't even know if it will get my bus running. :crazy:
I have never had fuse block #1 out so these three are strictly a guess.
1) The power lead wire is loose or broken at the connector.
2) The internal trace between the power lead and the relay is cracked.
3) A "cold" solder joint on the circuit board

Last edited:

There was a post about bad solder connections in the Fuse Block #1.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=113109&postcount=20

I thought the thread expanded on where the specific problem was, but my quick review didn't find that. The original thread can be accessed in the upper right corner of the single post should anyone wish to look for more info. vic

I have never had fuse block #1 out so these three are strictly a guess.
1) The power lead wire is loose or broken at the connector.
2) The internal trace between the power lead and the relay is cracked.
3) A "cold" solder joint on the circuit board

Top Bottom