PDA

View Full Version : Blue plugs in the fuel tank, what are they for?

toad
03-31-2011, 12:50 AM
I was yesterday fooling around under my 2011 Sprinter and saw these plugs on the side of my fuel tank.
Does anybody know what these are for?
I'm working on the camper conversion of this truck and need to connect the stove and heater to the fuel tank. So I wish these plugs would give me access to the "juice".

Anybody has an idea what this is?

Chandlerazman
03-31-2011, 01:11 AM
Short of being some hard ass nipples, I imagine they are for auxiliary fuel tapping.

NBB
03-31-2011, 01:13 AM
I have no idea what those plugs are, but there are several posts here showing how to get diesel out of the factory supplied tap at the top of the tank. These vans come with factory supplied diesel heaters as an option. I think most tanks are pre-fitted with an auxiliary tap.

I would definitely not take it out of the bottom. Whatever fitting you use could get knocked off. I doubt you'd find any gas tank anywhere with a tap at the bottom.

Aqua Puttana
03-31-2011, 12:09 PM
Let me preface with I really don't know what they are for certain. In the absence of posting from someone who knows...

My guess is they are not for fuel taps. That just seems overall too dangerous a design at the bottom.

Maybe locator alignment tabs for robot installation or some MB specific tool for tank R&R?

FWIW. vic

wmlog
04-07-2011, 01:13 AM
2007 and later Sprinters have a factory installed tap with an in tank tube for several available heaters - or for use with such things as an aftermarket Espar heater. This line is ported out the left side of the tank area near the fill tube and is capped off.

I would use this pre-installed tube.

mman444
04-08-2013, 01:09 PM
European Sprinters don't come with the pre-installed tube for auxiliary heater so we have to tap into the tank.

I've done this for my water heater but I now need to get another independent supply of diesel for my Webasto cooker and am running out of places to drill the top of the tank. Do people think it's OK to use a single tap and split the feed to the water heater and to the cooker?

sprintguy
04-08-2013, 02:40 PM
The blue plugs are for the Tanks heat shield that should be on it. The 4 T-20 torques head screws screw into the plugs to hold the tin heat shield to the tank.... 2 on the front of the tank and 2 on the forward most side of the tank.

Carl

mean_in_green
04-09-2013, 08:53 PM
European Sprinters don't come with the pre-installed tube for auxiliary heater so we have to tap into the tank.

I've done this for my water heater but I now need to get another independent supply of diesel for my Webasto cooker and am running out of places to drill the top of the tank. Do people think it's OK to use a single tap and split the feed to the water heater and to the cooker?

I understand the standard tank doesn't have many mounting options for stand pipes (European supplied Sprinters) although the optional larger 100 litres tank is apparently better in this regard.

Recent discussion on using a single feed for two heaters included some input to suggest it could be detrimental to the equipment. Maybe speak to a service agent for a second opinion, or never run the heater and cooker together? Otherwise have another look for a stand pipe, or if you haven't already done it buy the factory sender with aux fuel feed.