PDA

View Full Version : Auxillary heater won't start in cold

russi49728
03-24-2011, 05:46 PM
My auxiliary heater won't start when the temperature is below freezing. Has anyone had this problem? Also, how can I read the fault codes directly from the Espar (Eberspacher)?

It seems to start fine when the temperature is above 32.

OrioN
03-24-2011, 06:03 PM
My auxiliary heater won't start when the temperature is below freezing. Has anyone had this problem? Also, how can I read the fault codes directly from the Espar (Eberspacher)?

It seems to start fine when the temperature is above 32.

Can you describe what does or doesn't happen when you push the button?
To read codes, you will need to take to an Espar service center, where they plug their PC's into the unit...

Graphite Dave
03-24-2011, 06:44 PM
Can Espar dealer service the modified Mercedes Espar? If I have a problem I am quessing that a Mercedes dealer would not be much help.

russi49728
03-24-2011, 07:41 PM
Can you describe what does or doesn't happen when you push the button?
To read codes, you will need to take to an Espar service center, where they plug their PC's into the unit...

When I press the button on the dashboard, the red light lights up and I can hear a sound from under the hood. About a second after I hear the sound from under the good, the light goes out.

talkinghorse43
03-25-2011, 01:06 AM
The attached pdf has lots of info about troubleshooting; both using codes and more traditional methods.

Cedric
03-25-2011, 02:13 AM
My van got the same problem but guess what, I changed the battery (the one under the seat but not the auxiliary battery) as suggested by my local garage guy and it works just fine afterward.

russi49728
03-25-2011, 01:39 PM
Unfortunately (or fortunately?) the batter is relatively new and in good shape.