Ignition problem

fencepost

04 3500, 190,000 mi, no codes/errors, orrigional keys, remotes work ok, no fuel issues(?)
Symptoms:
Frequently turn key, dash lights up, does not crank engine (glow plug lamp stays lit). May do this several times before starting.
Dies very quickly after starting (like when you put a door only key in the ignition).
Dies after traveling a few hundred feet, complete cycle of ignition will eventually restart it.
Is the problem most likley the transponder ring, or the SKREEM module? Would they both need changed at the same time?
Would it need a recalibration of keys/transponder/SKREEM module?

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Are you getting the words "Start Error" in the little display on the dash? If you were, that would indicate to me that it's a key chip/ ring problem. If not, then you might look elsewhere. If you take the cover off of the fuse panel, there are 2 or 3 screws embedded in there that will allow you to remove the plastic covering that keeps your knees from hitting the steering column. You will find the transponder chip ring and it's wiring under there. Check those wires to make sure they are good and tight. A bad connection there could cause this problem.
It'll only take you 4 minutes to check this, so it's a simple thing to do.
Good luck.
Joel in Philly

fencepost

Joel, Pulled cover and dropped fuse panel, no loose connections. Wires out of ring pass thru one plug, dissapear into harness.
Didn't see any connections that could be loose. Any other areas I should check?

Last edited:

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
All of those things, along with the lack of the "start error" on the dash indicate to me that it's something other than the transponder ring/ key chip.
That is where my knowledge ends.
My next step would be to plug in a DAD. Do you have one or have access to one?
I would especially want in plugged in when the symptoms happen and see what codes it reads.
I would also use the search box on the forum and search every possible combination of your symptoms. You will learn a ton and maybe even find someone else with the same problems you are describing and how they resolved it.

Others are welcome to chime in here....

Joel in Philly

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Check for broken ground strap between engine and frame.
Without that electrical connection, there's not enough current flow to run a starter.

Check (unplug/replug) the connections into the ECU
Intermittent make/break of the connection would certainly kill the engine (and/or fail to tell the starter to start)

good luck
--dick

Top Bottom