PDA

View Full Version : NCV3 N. American - Side Marker Lamp Provision?

jdcaples
07-31-2007, 11:02 PM
Notice the side markers? I read something that indicated the EU requires these to be both present and illuminated, not just reflective.

I can't tell from the pictures posted, nor am I inclined to wander onto a dealership to fend off sales pitches: In the North American units, are their knock-outs in the fascia and/or wiring harness considerations (clips, conduit?) for these artifacts?

Just curious...

Thanks

-Jon

SprinterUSA1
07-31-2007, 11:49 PM
@ jdcaples,

just checked mine and no there are no knockouts. Assume there is no wiring harness then either but could be wrong. Would have to remove wall panels to check.

SprinterUSA1

Altered Sprinter
08-01-2007, 12:35 AM
Jon this is standard on all models from the year Jan 2006
They come on when you turn on main headlights, there is a UK option for them to run full time it's an option not standard, Like in the states it depends on the country or area that you live in , that may require to have them run as daylight or night only, I would not be surprised if it's illegal to have them on at night in some states as it being designated a traffic Hazard
Hazard County.:laughing:
Richard

BBlessing
08-17-2008, 12:19 AM
@ jdcaples,

just checked mine and no there are no knockouts. Assume there is no wiring harness then either but could be wrong. Would have to remove wall panels to check.

SprinterUSA1

i just recieved my new front side markers. i did a preliminary investigation and here is what i found. a rubber body plug see pics below, but no wiring. i think i can run a couple of wires though. i used these fancy trim tools i bought from harbor freight tools to pop the side panel off. the plastic clips suffered some damage upon removal but they went back in ok this time. it would have been easier to remove them if i could have reached the back of them to pinch the clip.

bb

BBlessing
08-17-2008, 12:20 AM
oh yeah, thanks cris for the great ball point pens!:thumbup:

bb

jdcaples
08-17-2008, 04:09 AM
Very cool, Bruce!!!

cedarsanctum
08-17-2008, 05:00 AM
I've been behind all those panels, and i am sure that if there is no light there, there will be no wires. The way they run wire harnesses, they can add them anywhere, and so can you. Just have to take a lot of panels off.

Nice to know those knockouts exist, though. Thanks Bruce. Gives me ideas for hiding plug ends and such.:hmmm:

Also, i took a couple of those broken trim clips from the headliner i pulled, same as your broken clips, down to the local Dodge dealer and they came up with a handful of replacements for cheap. Best deal i ever got from a Dodge dealer.

Jef

zconnector
08-17-2008, 07:44 AM
Hi,

if you want the original sidemarker lights, you need to replace all panels if you don't want the lights
to stick out too much
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/SureBlue/DSC01374.jpg

There is no wiring unless the vehicle is ordered with the marker lights or prewiring.

Note that when reinstalling the panels you need to pick out the clips with a small screwdriver from the van and
put them on the panel to ensure you get them properly fastened, all of them. How do I know....

Roger

BBlessing
08-17-2008, 06:27 PM
i only wanted the front side markers behind the front doors. in the us, the side markers are not available. safe to say none of the american imports will have the wiring, i am glad the holes are there though.

bb

BBlessing
08-17-2008, 11:10 PM
i might add that the new side trim panels come complete with new attachment clips already installed.

bb

cedarsanctum
08-18-2008, 04:45 AM
i might add that the new side trim panels come complete with new attachment clips already installed.

bb

Very Nice! and somewhat necessary. Even with the tools they're tough to get off and don't work again as well the second time.

Check under the floor mats below that pillar, next to the front seats. There should be some wires already going up that pillar from under the drivers seat, should be easy to add a wire for these lights through there. I believe i removed the foot-well trim to get at it easily.
Might even be a tail-light wire to break into inside that harness, but does that affect the fancy electronics on these rigs, adding a load to a system? Would that make the system thinks something is wrong? Just curious.

Jef

dcginc
10-26-2008, 12:53 AM
where did you source your side marker lights and trim? I have yet to buy a sprinter but thought this would be a nice add. are the holes already in the stock trim pieces?

thxs.

BBlessing
10-26-2008, 05:41 AM
chris case at gerard mann in london. his email is chriscase@gerardmann.co.uk.

bb

SPRINTERUK
10-26-2008, 05:56 PM
come on bruce we are in birmingham
cheers
chris

BBlessing
10-26-2008, 07:40 PM
sorry my geography is a little rusty. guess i should have google mapped you. :thinking: how many miles am i off anyway?

bb

BBlessing
10-26-2008, 07:41 PM
at least i got your email right this time.:cheers:

bb

dcginc
10-27-2008, 11:44 PM
thxs!