Adding Power Windows to Sprinter with manual hand cranks

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
My 2002 Cargo Sprinter does not have a lot of added features. I wanted power windows, so I looked for an aftermarket kit. This were the install pictures and the kit I used.

My Window Open/Close operation switches are on the center console, so there was nothing much special done to the the plastic interior door panels, other than to put a cover (supplied) over where the hand crank used to be.

I greased the moving parts on the window mechanism and also greased the parts for the door lock mechanism (while I had it all apart).

Attachments

J,
Nice find. About how long did the install take? Looks pretty straightforward mechanically.

I'm certain there are forum members who'd be interested.

Here's a link I found.

http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/autoloc/details.lasso?itemid=PW4650

Lists for $199.00 on sale. Thanks for the info. My dog would love me to buy this add-on. vic

Some other links which may go out of date.

http://www.amazon.com/AutoLoc-PW4650-Universal-Window-Illuminated/dp/B000NPM24O

http://www.amazon.com/COMPLETE-TRUCK-WINDOW-AUTOMATIC-SWITCHES/dp/B003XWG7R2/ref=pd_sbs_auto_1

Last edited:

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
It took around 5 hours to run the electrical connections and install the console switches. There are 2 wires going to each door (kit came with wire).

It took about 2 hours per door to install the hardware and wire up to the switches.

I used non-lighting switches (bought separately) because these switches are powered up all the time (connected to the 12V power adapter in the console), and I didn't want them illuminated (the kit came will illuminated switches). I hate when you can't open or close your windows with the key turned off.

Attachments

Great reply. Thanks for the pictures.

I really like how you installed the control switches in the center area. For two reasons actually. One is that I think it makes a nice neat looking job. The other is that my dog wouldn't be able to step on the switch and open/close the window. He hit it by accident once and I swear from then on he looked down every time just before his paw would hit the door mounted switch. I really worry most about the up mode for him. (In my traditional Dodge van that is, the Sprinter has cranks.) Thanks again. vic

It took around 5 hours to run the electrical connections and install the console switches. There are 2 wires going to each door (kit came with wire).

It took about 2 hours per door to install the hardware and wire up to the switches.

I used non-lighting switches (bought separately) because these switches are powered up all the time (connected to the 12V power adapter in the console), and I didn't want them illuminated (the kit came will illuminated switches). I hate when you can't open or close your windows with the key turned off.

Last edited:

brassarl

2006 T1N 2500 Long & Tall

Congrats on a great job well done!!:cheers:

al albanowski

Cry Baby Al
Hello fellow Sprinter,

I have yet again experienced trouble with my power window on the drivers side. This isthe third time. I wish to go from power to CRANK,would you care to sell your manual crank assembly?
Al Albanowski
Gettysburg,Pa.
717 398 8732

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
The only things that are not reused when installing the power windows are the hand cranks (plastic part that is what you manually turn to open/close the windows). Unless you have the mechanical parts in the door that this fits into, the hand cranks would not work for you.

The power windows kit I used slides onto to the metal splines that the hand cranks originally used.

Attachments

Bob of QF

Interesting find re: Sprinter.

I had done this exact same kit (but from a different supplier, A1 Electric) on my venerable Chrystler Minivan several years back.

The difference there, was I installed an OEM-look set of switches in the doors themselves, two on the driver's and one on the passenger's arm. It looked OEM, apart from the covers (which I also had to modify the door panel to get to fit).

I made extensive use of my Dremel tool to create the snap-in holes for the switches. Alas, that van has long since died-- but the electric windows still functioned perfectly.

Like the original poster, I detest windows that won't roll up/down without an ignition key, so I mounted a two-way toggle switch on the dash: center-off, to "lock" the windows, up for always on, down for normal key-required operation.

Sorry, I have no pictures, but I'm happy to see this kit works beautifully on a Sprinter-- I am seriously thinking about retrofitting my 2004 with these. Good to know.

And I like the idea of putting the switches in the center console too-- no need for extensive modification of the door panels, and the wiring would be smaller into the driver's door. Also good idea to utilize the OEM plastic hole-caps for the wire loom-- my old minivan had OEM rubber hoses already, which I re-used.

Last edited:

Top Bottom