PDA

View Full Version : Stump the chumps...

OrioN
03-12-2011, 03:28 AM
Come a listen to story about van named Jed...

So I left camp today to go into the villiage for supplies. The drive to the villiage is 1 mile slow dusty trail, followed by 5-6 miles on I-8. After getting off the I and onto main, and then pulling out from the first stop light, I hear and feel a noise and vibration/grind coming from the below the floor and aft of the driver compartment, and just for a second. Next light, same thing. After a few stop and goes and miles the issue is consistant.
At my first errand I did an inspection of the drivetrain, suspension and exhaust for leaking fluids and loose parts, nothing obvious.

Here's some notes:
The noise and vibration/grind originally occurs between 25-30mph.
It occurs while in any gear.
It is independant of engine RPM.
While not occuring over 30mph during 2-3 miles of villiage stop and go, I went on the I to head down to the east side of the valley, and the issue occured at 55+mph after 3-4 miles.
After, a 10 minute stop, the issue subsided somewhat.
After, a 10 minute drive and a 30 minute stop for dinner, the issue has gone and had not occured for the next 15 miles and 2 hrs of errands and trip back to camp.
Today when it occured, the temperature was a bit over 90, when it subsided the temperature was dropping slowly to 75.

I've got a very good suspicion of what it is...

Do you?

Aqua Puttana
03-12-2011, 01:20 PM
I've got a very good suspicion of what it is?

Do you?

Nope. I been cogitatin' and figurin' with no inkling jumpin' out for this goll danged stumper. Give a holler when Jed spills the beans. Signed, Just another Stumped Chump.

cedarsanctum
03-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Did you feel the center drive shaft support bearing, and was it hot or not?

kendall69
03-13-2011, 01:28 AM
It's a heat shield over some part of the exhaust system that has broken loose. The hot / cold exhaust affects the amount or noise.