PDA

View Full Version : annoying door problem

b1jc
03-10-2011, 09:13 PM
This is my first post so please be kind :D:

I've been addicted to this forum for the past month since getting my new (to me) 315cdi.

My drivers side (UK) door is a problem, it locks and unlocks okay with the central locking, it auto locks okay once in motion along with the rest of the doors. Once I stop and open the door from the inside it doesn't unlock the rest of the doors, if I do the same with the passenger door it unlocks all including the drivers door.
If I unlock the van remotely and only open the drivers door, it doesn't seem to register and it automatically locks and arms itself unless I insert the key into the ignition.

I thought I'd see a plunger type switch that would need attention but there's nothing like that.

I'm guessing the switch is somehow built into the door catch?

This is driving me mad, plus there's the potential of locking my key in the van.

Any ideas anyone?

jdcaples
03-10-2011, 10:06 PM
My drivers side (UK) door is a problem, it locks and unlocks okay with the central locking, it auto locks okay once in motion along with the rest of the doors.

My US Sprinter does the same thing

Once I stop and open the door from the inside it doesn't unlock the rest of the doors, if I do the same with the passenger door it unlocks all including the drivers door.

Hang on. Once I stop and open either cockpit door, only the door that I'm opening unlocks. The rest of the vehicle remains locked. Both doors behave this way.

If I unlock the van remotely and only open the drivers door, it doesn't seem to register and it automatically locks and arms itself unless I insert the key into the ignition.

That might be configurable - perhaps the operations manual may shed some light?

I thought I'd see a plunger type switch that would need attention but there's nothing like that.

I'm guessing the switch is somehow built into the door catch?

This is driving me mad, plus there's the potential of locking my key in the van.

Any ideas anyone?

You mentioned the switch is somehow built into the door catch. I don't know. I do know that the IR receiver for the key fob's unlock/lock buttons is in the door handle (see below)..... it might be a long shot, but I hope it helps.

-Jon

b1jc
03-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Cheers for the reply.

I don't think I did a very good job explaining, the ir remote and receiver are fine. The symptoms are as if the plunger type switch is faulty, though there isn't that type of switch as far as I can see.

I have configured my auto locks to lock all doors once the van gets moving, once stopped the missus opens her door and all doors unlock with it, the drivers door doesn't do this plus my interior light doesn't go on and off with the drivers door as it does with the passenger door.

I hope this makes sence, basically if it were an older vehicle with the plunger type switch, I would replace that and would solve it.

Oh and the little light on the dash to tell you a door is open doesn't come on when my door is open. So the van is thinking the door is shut.

Uurgh I hope this makes sence, I've used way too many words to explain such a simple problem.

jdcaples
03-12-2011, 12:01 AM
Cheers for the reply.

<snip>
.... once stopped the missus opens her door and all doors unlock with it, the drivers door doesn't do this
<snip>
That's not normal behavior for my American Sprinter... not sure if it's normal for the UK variants, either. Best ask a dealership on this.

plus my interior light doesn't go on and off with the drivers door as it does with the passenger door.

That might be a bad overhead module connection, but I'm leaning towards the driver door.

I hope this makes sence, basically if it were an older vehicle with the plunger type switch, I would replace that and would solve it.

Oh and the little light on the dash to tell you a door is open doesn't come on when my door is open. So the van is thinking the door is shut.

Perhaps you can remove the door trim and verify there's no water damage to the electronics within? Perhaps there's a bad contact, bad earth wire or bad hot wire somewhere?

Uurgh I hope this makes sence, I've used way too many words to explain such a simple problem.

I think you did fine; I just don't know that anyone on this forum can help you much with this problem.

-Jon

PS: You may wish to send a private message to Eric Experience (http://sprinter-source.com/forum/member.php?u=3998). He's Australian (drives on the proper side of the road, so to speak) and his Sprinters are closer to yours than my American Sprinter.

brassarl
03-12-2011, 04:09 AM
Here is a guess... it is still wired for the UK, in the US we call it the passenger door, that same door becomes driver's door in the UK?

Trekker
03-12-2011, 07:49 AM
"I do know that the IR receiver for the key fob's unlock/lock buttons is in the door handle."

Wow, I didn't know that! I always thought the receiver was an antenna built into the window. Is there also one in the passenger, cargo and rear door handles? And it's IR, not RF? That would explain the short range and some operational issues I experience occasionally.

mean_in_green
03-12-2011, 02:53 PM
The plunger type switch you're looking for is now a tilt switch i.e. not visible like the plunger variety.

Either that or a wiring issue - take the door card off to see if a plug is off or a wire is damaged.

b1jc
04-06-2011, 06:47 PM
I'm still having problems :cry:

I'm reluctant to take it to the dealer with the warranty run out.

I left my lights on today, it was dark when I left this morning and light once I got back and didn't notice because my warning buzzer doesn't go off, it thinks that the door is still shut. The only time I can get everything to behave as it should is if I don't pull the door completely shut but is caught on the first stage of the locking mechanism if you see what I mean.

I've inspected the wiring which I can see with the door appart and it all seems okay.

My question really is, can you replace this switch that's obviously the culprit? Maybe I'll have to get the complete mechanism.

Does anyone know for sure where the switch is? if I pull out the locking mechanism will it be attatched to that?

jdcaples
04-06-2011, 09:26 PM
On this side of the pond, we have access to MB service information, for a nominal fee (less than two fish-n-chips and four pints at the pub, last I checked).

On your side of the pond, evidence suggests similar info locked behind a must-be-dealership-for-access system.

PM your VIN to me and I'll see what comes up on SprinterWIS in the next 1-3 days.

-Jon

b1jc
04-06-2011, 09:40 PM
On this side of the pond, we have access to MB service information, for a nominal fee (less than two fish-n-chips and four pints at the pub, last I checked).

On your side of the pond, evidence suggests similar info locked behind a must-be-dealership-for-access system.

PM your VIN to me and I'll see what comes up on SprinterWIS in the next 1-3 days.

-Jon

PM sent, thanks Jon :bounce: