PDA

View Full Version : Will the 2008 standard alternator run my a/c?

kmessinger
03-09-2011, 09:50 PM
I am contemplating adding a low profile dometic a/c to the roof. It run on 115/60 and I have a converter that will handle that. But will the alternator put back in the batteries what is being drawn out?

Compressor amps 10.7; fan amps 3.1; Locked rotor amps 50.0; fan motor-locked amps 8.8

My inverter/converter is a 2000w, 100amp.

I guess it will as most Sprinter rv types have a roof-top ac but I know nothing about electricity except the little guys in the wire carrying the stuff celebrate with fire works when they find the ground.

Thanks,

Keith

gerrym51
03-09-2011, 10:09 PM
I am contemplating adding a low profile dometic a/c to the roof. It run on 115/60 and I have a converter that will handle that. But will the alternator put back in the batteries what is being drawn out?

Compressor amps 10.7; fan amps 3.1; Locked rotor amps 50.0; fan motor-locked amps 8.8

I guess it will as most Sprinter rv types have a roof-top ac but I know nothing about electricity except the little guys in the wire carrying the stuff celebrate with fire works when they find the ground.

Thanks,

Keith

keith, doesn/t sportsmobile have this info on their website under cooling

gerry

robertgrosz
03-09-2011, 10:15 PM
I wouldn't do it, Sprinters are temperamental about electrical. We run a laptop device and radios, gps and the like and I'm blowing through alternators every 50-60k miles. Go big or go home :):rad:

OrioN
03-10-2011, 03:15 AM

Thanks,

Keith

While driving, or parked/idling?

wmlog
03-16-2011, 01:02 AM
I could get all fancy with all the calculations as to how the gazintas have to be equal to or greater than the gozattas in order to power something like a rooftop AC, but the bottom line is - No, your Sprinter will not put out enough power to charge the batteries enough to run the AC unit. Don't even try, unless you plan or ordering alternators in bulk.

Run your vehicles AC when on the road, and run a 115 vac rooftop mounted unit, powered by a small generator or shore power when parked.

:2cents: