PDA

View Full Version : How to Identify 3.92 rear axle ratio on used Sprinters.

-D-
03-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Starting to shop around for a Sprinter but want to make sure I get the 3.92 axle ratio instead of the 4.10 for fuel economy. Most of my driving will be highway/freeway and I won't be towing.

Is there a quick way to indentify sprinters with this axle ratio? ie the VIN number or some indicating feature on the rear axle?

Thanks in advance!

jdcaples
03-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Find the differential gear housing. On the passenger side of the diff cover plate, affixed to the the axle tube, visible your feet are pointed away from the cab, there is a sticker.

It will say 4,18 or 3,92. The sticker is metalic-ish (think tin foil) and possibly covered with a waxy, brown cosmoline like preservative. Scrape the waxy stuff off and you should be able to read it.

Aqua Puttana
03-09-2011, 11:04 PM
I suppose crawling under and looking at a tag is the sure way. My 2500 with 16" wheels turns about 2300 rpm at 60 mph by the speedo in top gear. I say about because I'm not that good in the memory department for such things.

Maybe some numbers from 3500's with 15" wheels and a more accurate number for 16" wheels will mean it can be determined during a test drive? A search from the blue bar above may also yield results. I'm certain this has been discussed.

Mean in Green (Simon) once mentioned marking tires/driveshaft and counting turns if there's still doubt. Have fun. vic