PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on TIRES

EFM1
03-08-2011, 04:23 PM
I have 08 3500 170"wb. The rear tires last me about 100,000 miles on problem BUT the huge problem is with front tires. They wear out very fast on the inside. I did the wheel alignment when i put them on and within 10k miles you can see wear on the inside of both tires. The wear is not even, it looks like a wave. Tires are trash within 50k. Any ideas what can be causing it? 1. Tire pressure is good and checked weekly 2. Can heavy loads cause abnormal tire wear? What tires would you recommend for replacement? Had continentals - they were good, currently running Bridgestones - like em a lot. Thanks for all input.

showkey
03-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Sounds like alignment is the cause of your wear.

Heavy load will affect the alignment and the books and even the label in the door jam (from RV conversion) tell you to check alignment with heavy load on board to stop front tire wear.

Generally speaking inside wear is a camber concern and wave or feather wear is be related to toe.

Both camber and toe will change with load.

Dogwalker
03-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Sounds like alignment is the cause of your wear.

Heavy load will affect the alignment and the books and even the label in the door jam (from RV conversion) tell you to check alignment with heavy load on board to stop front tire wear.

Generally speaking inside wear is a camber concern and wave or feather wear is be related to toe.

Both camber and toe will change with load.

+1 on alignment. On my sprinter RV, I had a similar problem and a good alignment solved the wear problems. Between having wear and a good alignment, I had a bad alignment job done at a local tire shop. The wear was much worse afterwards and it killed a set of front tires in 8,000 miles.

Ponied up the $240 to have an alignment done at the local Mercedes dealer and the tire wear has been fine sense. I hate the mercedes dealer, but they did fix the problem. I wish LV Freiightliner still worked on sprinter. They were much better.

BBlessing
03-08-2011, 09:29 PM
you are supposed to rotate all the tires every 10,000 miles.

bb

jdcaples
03-08-2011, 09:37 PM
... and might be even more critical on 3500 (dual rear wheel) Sprinters?

-Jon (who opted for the 2500)

MellowYellow
03-09-2011, 12:45 AM
What pressure are you running your front tires at?

I find with my '08 and '10 3500's that the front pressure must be 80psi. Anything lower then that will wear the inside edge of the tires out in no time. My trucks run at 4500-5000kg's all the time.

The door sticker calls for somewhere around 60psi, but at that pressure the original conti's on the '08 only made 47k. The replacement tires have over 100k on them and only show slight wear on the inside edge compared to the other sections of the tire.

Im not sure if the 2500's do this, but with the 3500's when performing tight turning such as in a parking lot it is easy to get the front end to skip and chatter if you are going a little quick. It is easy to over power the steering traction due to the sprinters quick steering and long wheelbase. My trucks both did this empty or loaded, albeit they don't do it as much loaded. I think the front suspension geometry puts alot of load on the inside of the tire during tight turning.

piper1
03-09-2011, 12:50 AM
Since you said you did the alignment and you are good with pressures, you may just be wearing them out. Your "wavy" wear pattern is river wear and can be indicative of high loading during turns.

Although not an "approved" tire...the Michelin XPS- Rib is about the toughest commercial grade steer tire you can buy. They aren't cheap, but I have had sets in non Sprinter use last over 300,000 km @ 80psi. They will ride rougher but wear like iron and are very low rolling resistance.

If your running those kind of miles...rotating tires on a dually every 10 k can quickly outprice the actual tires. I only have 4 and rotating by the book never paid off enough for the cost.
:2cents:

jdcaples
03-09-2011, 02:09 PM
If your running those kind of miles...rotating tires on a dually every 10 k can quickly outprice the actual tires. I only have 4 and rotating by the book never paid off enough for the cost.
:2cents:

Time off from van duty aside, businesses like Discount Tire (http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/home.do) will rotate tires purchased from at any of their stores for no cash (just down time which can be minimized with planning).

Before Bruce (bblessing) unloaded his air compressor on me, and before my father left me his impact wrench, I'd always have Discount Tire rotate my tires for me. Now I rotate 'em myself during regular brake fluid flushings.

-Jon

piper1
03-09-2011, 05:15 PM
When I see high miles I assume commercial service (and I shouldn't). Most rotate free agreements specifically exclude commercial users, and some exclude dually's.

jdcaples
03-09-2011, 07:49 PM
When I see high miles I assume commercial service (and I shouldn't). Most rotate free agreements specifically exclude commercial users, and some exclude dually's.

I'm not sure Discount Tire makes that kind of distinction. It feels like I've seen dual rear wheeled pickups in there taking advantage of the perk.

-Jon

Chandlerazman
03-09-2011, 09:15 PM
No issues with Discount with my 3500. No extra fees either when you buy new tires from them. They suck at balancing, but are great at rotating. The best "consumer" grade tire for these vans are bar none, Michelin M/S 2's. I've got 8k so far on mine with no wear issues. Still look new. They had better for nearly $1300 :smirk:

jdcaples
03-09-2011, 09:24 PM
No issues with Discount with my 3500. No extra fees either when you buy new tires from them. They suck at balancing, but are great at rotating. The best "consumer" grade tire for these vans are bar none, Michelin M/S 2's. I've got 8k so far on mine with no wear issues. Still look new. They had better for nearly $1300 :smirk:

I lose 1/8th of an inch every 10,000 miles on Michelin AT^2s, I think.... it's posted somewhere around here. They start life with 17/32nds of an inch in tread... the M/S 2s probably do as well.

-Jon

K-9 SPRINTER
03-09-2011, 10:38 PM
What is the proper rotation for a dually with a spare

Chandlerazman
03-09-2011, 10:44 PM
I rotate the tires from right side to left side. Inner rears go from right side inner to left side inner. My spare is not in the loop. at next rotation, the wheels go from left to right. If I do the standard 6 wheel rotation, I end up getting a couple of brake dust, scratched up and rust facing wheels. No thanks. I'd rather replace the tires a little more often than have my wheels showing rust and tool abrasions. 2500 owners have no issues in rotating tires than us dually folks do.
This is what I do and what works for me :rad:

talkinghorse43
03-10-2011, 01:30 AM
I lose 1/8th of an inch every 10,000 miles on Michelin AT^2s, I think.... it's posted somewhere around here. They start life with 17/32nds of an inch in tread... the M/S 2s probably do as well.

-Jon

I hope you meant to write 1/32 every 10k. If not, that's a life of 37.5k to 2/32s - can't believe a Michelin would do that.

showkey
03-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Tire rotation on 3500 dully: To gain max mileage at the lowest cost a fleet manager recommended front tire rotation only, left to right and flipping the tires on the rims if needed to gain even wear patterns on the inside/outside, flipping on the rim without rotation evens out feather.

His theory was buy two front tires when needed and the dully rear tires would last a looooong time. :hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:

BBlessing
03-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Time off from van duty aside, businesses like Discount Tire (http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/home.do) will rotate tires purchased from at any of their stores for no cash (just down time which can be minimized with planning).

Before Bruce (bblessing) unloaded his air compressor on me, and before my father left me his impact wrench, I'd always have Discount Tire rotate my tires for me. Now I rotate 'em myself during regular brake fluid flushings.

-Jon

i refuse to ever give discount tire a penny of my business again. their tire monkeys are too stupid to read instructions or do a safe job. i used to go to them for all my tire work, but they kept screwing things up. now les schwab gets all my business. yes they cost a little more, but at least they get it right. i once applied for a job there (at schwabs), they wanted an fbi background check and a drug test. and i think even an i.q. test, or at least you had to know how to read.

bb

jdcaples
03-10-2011, 02:00 PM
I hope you meant to write 1/32 every 10k. If not, that's a life of 37.5k to 2/32s - can't believe a Michelin would do that.

Yeah, you're right. I mis-typed. Thanks for catching that.

-Jon

ebsprintin
03-10-2011, 09:09 PM
I had perfect wear on my steers, but lost my camber when the front end was rebuilt/replaced at 200,000 miles. With the "new" front end, the camber was so far off that it was visible when standing next to the vehicle. The dealership had to add a "camber kit" to bring it back within specs and even wear. My Michelin LTX M/S lasted 201,000 miles, so I replaced them with the same. I end up rotating the tires every 50K or when I feel like taking it to Costco where I bought the tires. I've graduated to rotating according to wear and whim as opposed to by the schedule. I just can't see rotating tires twice in the same month (dually or not).

eb

bignose13
05-07-2011, 07:49 PM
with the Michelin M/S 2 , on a 2500 single wheel what should pressure be??
the only load i carry is my family...so no real weight carrying..

-Jon

Ambfixer
05-07-2011, 08:35 PM
with the Michelin M/S 2 , on a 2500 single wheel what should pressure be??
the only load i carry is my family...so no real weight carrying..

We run the Toyo open county and get great milige out of them and on an ambulance that runs around the clock thay are the best i have found but they are pricey

OrioN
05-07-2011, 08:50 PM
We run the Toyo open county and get great milige out of them and on an ambulance that runs around the clock thay are the best i have found but they are pricey

Huh?

bignose13
05-07-2011, 09:45 PM
Huh?

it just seems some people run the same pressure all round and others dont..so what is best? can anybody help please?

OrioN
05-07-2011, 09:53 PM
I wasn't Huh'ing you! I was Huh'ing the guy who quoted a question and then made a statement which had no bearing.

If you really want to get technical and precise, the best thing to do is go to the scales and weigh each axle. Then, go to Michelin's website or call a tire dealer and check 'the cart' for what pressure you need for the weights. But if I were to give a guestimate: 47-50 fronts, 67-72 rears.

Same tires as you, I run 3500lbs front, 6000lbs rear, @ 55psi front and 81psi rear.

bignose13
05-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Yep i know...no problem...i just did not want the questions to get lost after that comment...
thank you for the answer :-)

I wasn't Huh'ing you! I was Huh'ing the guy who quoted a question and then made a statement which had no bearing.

If you really want to get technical and precise, the best thing to do is go to the scales and weigh each axle. Then, go to Michelin's website or call a tire dealer and check 'the cart' for what pressure you need for the weights. But if I were to give a guestimate: 47-50 fronts, 67-72 rears.

Same tires as you, I run 3500lbs front, 6000lbs rear, @ 55psi front and 81psi rear.