PDA

View Full Version : WIF - bleeding water from fuel filter?

slowstride
02-28-2011, 06:36 PM
My 2008 NCV3 with 7,000 miles has the WIF light up. Reading the manual it appears that when the WIF light comes up, you should bleed the water from the fuel filter by turning the drain valve 'one turn'. This does nothing, and it's not until I have turned the valve about 4-5 rotations, then a fluid that appears to be diesel comes squirting out. Am I doing something wrong? Why is the drain not working? Does the WIF light coming up indicate some other problem with the fuel filter?
:idunno:
Paul

piper1
02-28-2011, 08:36 PM
It does take more than "one turn". I think the manual is overly cautious to prevent people from removing the drain screw all together.

If you drain is still in the factory location (dipstick side of the engine), it will take a bit for the water to come out. You need to get the diesel fuel trapped in the drain line out first.

I would want to drain a full quart (liter) before i would consider the filter evacuated enough.

IMHO, this is something every NCV3 owner should practice so when the light comes on, they know what to do...and can do it without haste.

Chandlerazman
02-28-2011, 09:59 PM
Also watch were you buy fuel.

slowstride
03-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Good advice
That was my first tank of diesel.
From now on fueling at truck stops with in-line filters and using a diesel additive.:thumbup:

Altered Sprinter
03-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Good advice
That was my first tank of diesel.
From now on fueling at truck stops with in-line filters and using a diesel additive.:thumbup:
Tin NCV Vito MB you name the variations available elsewhere.
Since on the onset of the forum I have always promoted the use of an upper cylinder lubricant Non-alcohol based. results no WIF or MIF's in my filter 40 thousand k's between changes.
6 years on not one single LHM or break down ever.{ Not once}
Do it right and you'll enjoy your ride with out issues.
Richard

desertsam
03-04-2011, 10:24 PM
What does the 2010 fuel filter look like? I have looked for it on front of motor but can not find it.

Anyone have a picture of it on the motor? The manual drawing is not clear.

Desertsam

My 2008 NCV3 with 7,000 miles has the WIF light up. Reading the manual it appears that when the WIF light comes up, you should bleed the water from the fuel filter by turning the drain valve 'one turn'. This does nothing, and it's not until I have turned the valve about 4-5 rotations, then a fluid that appears to be diesel comes squirting out. Am I doing something wrong? Why is the drain not working? Does the WIF light coming up indicate some other problem with the fuel filter?
:idunno:
Paul

Old Crows
03-04-2011, 10:32 PM
Would draining the water out of the filter be a 'pre-flight' item on a NCV3 based RV that is rarely used????????? Sounds no different than opening the drains on an aircraft's gas tank and sump to remove any water that has collected there as a pre-flight check. I do use a fuel additive but I wouldn't find a quick drain of the filter to be a problem before starting up after a long sit.

A photo of that valve thingie would be sweet!

desertsam
03-04-2011, 10:40 PM
That's my idea of checking before a trip in the RV. Better to drain any water out in the driveway then out on the side of the road. Just can't find where to drain the filter or where it is at on my 2010 6 cyl.

Would draining the water out of the filter be a 'pre-flight' item on a NCV3 based RV that is rarely used????????? Sounds no different than opening the drains on an aircraft's gas tank and sump to remove any water that has collected there as a pre-flight check. I do use a fuel additive but I wouldn't find a quick drain of the filter to be a problem before starting up after a long sit.

A photo of that valve thingie would be sweet!

Old Crows
03-04-2011, 11:36 PM
That's my idea of checking before a trip in the RV. Better to drain any water out in the driveway then out on the side of the road. Just can't find where to drain the filter or where it is at on my 2010 6 cyl.\

Sam, that sounds like a great idea! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

And, wouldn't it be better to periodically remove the water than to let it sit in the filter for God knows how long before the WIF light comes on?

slowstride
03-05-2011, 05:13 AM
The advice I have been getting from this forum is, to be selective about where you fuel up. 'Where the truckers fuel up' seems to be the advice that i am receiving. The truck stops have diesel that is turning over more regularly, and they may have in-line filters. With regard to the fuel filter, it is under the air filter housing, not immediately visible. Replacing the fuel filter is a whole different story...... and well documented on this blog. The bleed valve is on the left side of the engine, as you look at it, there is a tube that comes out of it, the 'bleed tube'. Put this tube in a plastic bottle, turn on the ignition to position 2, open then knerled ring a few turns and diesel/water will come out. The ignition pump will run for 30 seconds before you have to turn it off. and start the procedure again. The manual has instructions.

Sprinters prefer good diesel, or so I have been told, seems reasonable to me......

Slowstride

Altered Sprinter
03-05-2011, 05:25 AM
The advice I have been getting from this forum is, to be selective about where you fuel up. 'Where the truckers fuel up' seems to be the advice that i am receiving. The truck stops have diesel that is turning over more regularly, and they may have in-line filters. With regard to the fuel filter, it is under the air filter housing, not immediately visible. Replacing the fuel filter is a whole different story...... and well documented on this blog. The bleed valve is on the left side of the engine, as you look at it, there is a tube that comes out of it, the 'bleed tube'. Put this tube in a plastic bottle, turn on the ignition to position 2, open then knerled ring a few turns and diesel/water will come out. The ignition pump will run for 30 seconds before you have to turn it off. and start the procedure again. The manual has instructions.

Sprinters prefer good diesel, or so I have been told, seems reasonable to me......

Slowstride Yep your learning fast
Sprinters are like dieselalcoholic's they like 100% proof.:thumbup:
Cheer's Richard

jdcaples
03-05-2011, 03:50 PM
<snip>
Just can't find where to drain the filter or where it is at on my 2010 6 cyl.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14935

-Jon

jdcaples
03-05-2011, 05:30 PM
What does the 2010 fuel filter look like?

I have looked for it on front of motor but can not find it.

Anyone have a picture of it on the motor? The manual drawing is not clear.

Desertsam

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3652

-Jon

desertsam
03-05-2011, 06:25 PM
I was able to find the bleed tube and drained out fuel. No water was found. The drain tube is held by clips right inside the frame holding the overflow radiator bottle on the left side. Follow the tube to right behind the oil dip stick. There is the slotted knob that when turned 1 1/2 times will allow the fuel out of the filter when the key is turned to pos 2. I put a bottle in the bottom of the wheel well and after removing the tube from the clips, the tube ran to the bottom of the bottle.

Thanks for all the help with this,

Desertsam 10 Navion A 6 cyl D Door Label says made in 2007, Camper made in 2009, M engine label says 2008. Model is a 2010 and I bought it new in 2011.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14935

-Jon