2006 Fault Code Question

triodes

Gents

I went in to get my 06 2500 Sprinter smogged here in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia, and they said I failed due to fault code PO132 "O2 Sensor High Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 1)"

The goofy thing is, there was no check engine light on the dash when I went in, but there is now. (I can think of several things not related to any engine problem)

But, can one kind soul enlighten me on this code? Do I have to go to Dodge to get it cleared?

Thanks much

Radioman

mendonsy

That code implies that the voltage returned by the O2 sensor is too high. Chances are that there is a bad ground connection to the sensor. :2cents:

But, can one kind soul enlighten me on this code? Do I have to go to Dodge to get it cleared?

Thanks much

Radioman
I can't enlighten you on that particular code (it was probably read by an OBDII generic scan tool, not a Sprinter specific one), but there is some info about O2 sensors and resulting malfunction codes here.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5038

You should be able to clear the code with a generic OBDII scan tool so you shouldn't need a dealer. Be aware that in doing that you will also clear many of the codes which a Sprinter specific scan tool will see which the OBDII generic doesn't. That means you lose some historical data. Have fun. vic

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
That code implies that the voltage returned by the O2 sensor is too high. Chances are that there is a bad ground connection to the sensor. :2cents:
how does a sensor - presumably ok from the factory - develop a bad ground connection; corrosion or vibratory/mechanical/thermal fluxuation stress on the wire over time?

-Jon

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Simply clearing the codes will also set a "Not Ready" code in the OBD-II system.
Emission testers will fail you until that "Not Ready" has been changed to "ready" by numerous start/stop and driving cycles
(about ten, if memory serves).
So drive around for a few days after clearing any codes.

--dick

mendonsy

how does a sensor - presumably ok from the factory - develop a bad ground connection; corrosion or vibratory/mechanical/thermal fluxuation stress on the wire over time?

-Jon
I do not suspect the sensor itself. With the sprinter's history of wiring issues I would check the connections between the sensor and the ECU. It is a simple and inexpensive check that might produce some results.
The P0132 is a generic code so it may not mean anything at all to a sprinter.

Top Bottom