Heater Blower Motor Freezing in Place!!

HERK

Last winter my blower motor quit working for a 4 day period, when it was below 10°F. On the 4Th day it had warmed up to 40°F outside and the blower worked just fine for the last year, till the other day. We had rain/freezing rain with temperatures in the 30's afterwords it turned bitterly cold, with temperatures below zero. Then the motor quit working for a few days, till it warmed up yesterday. I was wondering if this is be being caused by a design flaw, where moister is getting into the motor or is there some type of leak caused by a crack/leaky gasket? Has anyone else experienced this same thing?

Since nobody has replied...

I have no specific experience. If your blower motor bearings are going bad, temperature changes can change stresses on them and maybe cause more binding in cold temperatures. The lube may also be getting a bit thicker at lower temps. Don't discount that you may have a temperature sensitive loose connection.

The bearings can be lubed which may help. You'll need to remove the fan to do that. A small hole may need to be drilled in the opposite end bearing to lube it without motor dis-assembly. Good luck. vic

Last winter my blower motor quit working for a 4 day period, when it was below 10°F. On the 4Th day it had warmed up to 40°F outside and the blower worked just fine for the last year, till the other day. We had rain/freezing rain with temperatures in the 30's afterwords it turned bitterly cold, with temperatures below zero. Then the motor quit working for a few days, till it warmed up yesterday. I was wondering if this is be being caused by a design flaw, where moister is getting into the motor or is there some type of leak caused by a crack/leaky gasket? Has anyone else experienced this same thing?

Top Bottom